Van Morrison Album by Album Discussion: Part 1 (1968-1977)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

I don't have this one or Wavelength. I'm beginning to think that's a good thing. Maybe I can just find someone who does, make a lossless copy of the few good songs on the two albums and then take them, and the best of Philosopher's Stone, to make my own mid-70s Van album. Of course I have Into The Music, so I'll be re-joining the conversation soon. I couldn't really call myself a self-respecting Van fan without that one. And just this weekend, I picked up Common One. I listened to it yesterday and am sorry I've gone so long without it. It was very nice upon first listen, and is clearly the kind of Van offering that will grow deeper with time. We're coming up on one of my favorite periods in one of my favorite catalogs. I'll be right here waiting...

Tim

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

:righton: a wise way to have saved a few coins my friend. the only thing harder to do than listen to these two is to try to write about them. :help:

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Well, I had no problem writing about it, William...but then again, I am being paid by the word.;)

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

My advice is to seek out the albums and decide for yourself. I realize that's easier said than done these days but hopefully remasters will materialize soon.

APOT and Wavelength have really nothing in common, musically speaking, and should not be lumped together when evaluating the overall catalog.

That said, if you are going to skip a Van album, APOT would be a good one to skip. I don't feel the same about Wavelength though, as it's one of my favorite Van albums.

5. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

I think a lot more of Wavelength than apparently the rest of you (or most of the rest of you). Period of Transition, though, boy, side one is a dog. I was still working for National Record Mart when it came out, scored a promo, so thankfully I didn't have to pay for it. I agree the cover is heinous. Side two is pretty passable, never going to be one of his best, but I have played it quite a bit over the years. The versions on Philosopher's Stone are way better.

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Ok, so it's going to fall to me to defend this odd little album. Obviously, it is quite flawed and I agree with Tom that the Philosopher's Stone versions of "Joyous Sound" and "Flamingos Fly" (especially "Flamingos Fly") are superior to what Van released here, but, but, but. . . I still like this album quite a bit. The pleasures may be small, but they are there.

I don't know how it is possible to involve Dr. John in a project and end up with something as stiff, mannered and lifeless as the sound on APOT, but Van did it :edthumbs: Only "You Gotta Make It Through The World" with its slithery groove and to a lesser degree "It Fills You Up" deliver what you might expect from the Night Tripper. ("It Fills You Up" much like "I've Been Workin'" failed to reach me until I heard the superior live version). The mix also isn't very good with Van's voice up way too high, and the drum sound is just terrible. (All these comments from someone who actually likes the album. . .:p)

All complaining aside, I think this album does contain three significant Van songs in "You Gotta Make It", "Heavy Connection" and "Cold Wind In August". Together I would think they make the album worthwhile for any fan. The rest is enjoyable if slight (even "The Eternal Kansas City") and I find myself reaching for this album pretty frequently. It doesn't require the emotional investment of much of Van's other work and that can be a good thing.

And I've always kinda liked the cover. The anti-glamour aspect is perfectly in keeping with Van's persona. It's a far sight better than HNTH, that's for sure. . .

7. Clarkophile

Geez, curbach, I was expecting a more vigorous defence of APOT from you.

8. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I love "Wavelength". I wore that LP out when that album was released! I need to get in on CD! :righton:

(not to mention, Pete Bardens played keyboards on it! :))

Oh NO!!! I just did some searching... Why didn't I buy this when it was still in production??!!! Ha!!! It's going to cost around $30.00 +, it appears! :(

9. Clarkophile

10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

11. DJ WILBUR

i would think as this is one of his more popular titles, that used copies would be cheaper than this even now with it OOP.

12. curbach

:p As my defense is thus far the only defense, it must be the most vigorous ;)

If Van wants a better defense he's going to have to give me a bit more to work with :laugh: This would fit nicely into the series of "Defending The Indefensible" threads. What can I say when he deliberately trivializes the best song on the album with a lousy arrangement ("Flamingos Fly")? I still like it better than HNTH any day. And I think you should give "Cold Wind In August" another chance.

BTW, if anyone has heard APOT on vinyl, I'd be curious to know if my complaints about the sound are limited to the cd. I have the unremastered U.S. Warners version. I'm assuming the remaster will not be an improvement since the remasters all seem to be treble boosted and that is decidedly not what this album needs. May be the unremastered Euro cd sounds better?

13. Clarkophile

Yeah, you're probably right. I last played the album on Saturday morning when I went out for a run, and as my energy lagged toward the end, I needed a good psychological boost from Van, and "Cold Wind in August" kinda left me...cold.:p

I'll listen to it when I'm more sedentary.

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Each Van Morrison album we've talked about so far has had its own sound and "A Period Of Transition" is no exception. This is a great album. It may not be his "best" album of the seventies, but it is the one I continue to listen to most - it is the only seventies album I listen to on a regular basis.

The Rolling Stones have "Black And Blue" as their in-the-groove album and Van has this one. After the release of "B&B" the Stones would tour with Ollie Brown on percussion (I am also a "Love You Live" fan) and here he is helping out Van and Dr. John lay down the groove.

I like the versions of "Flamingo's Fly" and "Joyous Sounds" on this album more than the outtakes on "Philosopher's Stone," but that could be because this is the album I listened to first. Those two tracks are my least favorite on the album, though. I like the groove tracks "You Gotta Make It Through The World," "It Fills You Up," "Heavy Connection" most.

My favorite is the closer "Cold Wind In August". The background singers and their windy vocals are a nice touch. I'll take this over "Country Fair" any day of the week.

It took a bit of listeneing to get used to the openeing "choral vocals" of "The Eternal Kansas City," but I like them now - and I can finally hear the male vocals as well on the last remaster which I couldn't on the muddy sounding U.S. Warner disc I had. I've always like the song and the topic: Kansas City back when it was an open city and the jazz/music center of the United States.

This is the ONLY disc I will buy when the new remasters are released next year just to hear what they have come up with. I'll keep my original Polydor/Warner CDs for all the other seventies and eighties titles.

15. curbach

Aha, another defender. And I have been "outvigored". Good on you, Pig Whisperer. While I obviously have some reservations about the album, I do enjoy it and feel it certainly belongs in any Van fan's collection.

I'm intrigued by your comments about the remaster, too.

16. Clarkophile

:laugh:

17. Frank50

Frank50 New Member

I've got all Vans albums.
    One of my favourites is Beautiful Vision. It's probably his most underrated album.Anyone agree?
    It could even be his second or third best work after Astral Weeks and maybe Moondance.

18. DJ WILBUR

hey Frank....i see this was your first post, welcome to the forums and more importantly to the Van Morrison album by album discussion. We're doing them in order, so please feel free to post your thoughts on Astral Weeks and Moondance now, as we've already discussed those two albums.

Currently on A Period of Transition and sometime in January I'm sure we'll be discussing one of your favorites Beautiful Vision. Feel free to post any thoughts on van in here, but i'm sure we'd all love to hear your thoughts on Astral and Moondance as a "getting to know you" kinda thing.

Nice to have another Van fan in here!

19. Clarkophile

'Ello, Frank. Welcome. What are your thoughts on 1977's A Period of Transition?
    And please don't tell me you like the cover too.:help:

20. Frank50

Frank50 New Member

Well Tom I like APOT.Much like HBASC not his strongest or most inspired writing but easy and uplifting to listen to.
    Astral Weeks;Unique,timeless,beautiful....one of the best and most satisfying albums I've heard.

21. Frank50

Frank50 New Member

Thanks for the welcome William.
    Apologies for getting ahead.

Moondance was my first ever Van purchase . A classic but I've heard it to many times. Not as introspective and complete as Astral Weeks but great all the same.

22. dee

dee Senior Member

OH my, tell us how you really feel! :p
    Nice review. I thought that quoted bit was just too memorable not to highlight. My..."word!"

23. dee

dee Senior Member

That's the only way I get around! :p . (Alright, enough with my bad jokes). This thread just keeps...growing! :) .

24. dee

dee Senior Member

I confess I kinda like the album cover! :)
    Sorry!

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

It does feature one of only 10 known photographs of Van smiling :D

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.