The San Francisco Sound !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Aug 24, 2022.

1. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

Speaking of rice,it's time we mentioned Ron Nagle,a native of SF who founded The Mystery Trend and went on to record several
    solo albums including the classic Bad Rice in
    1970,and not to mention was in The Durocs
    with Scott Matthews.

zphage and speedracer like this.
  2. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice of you to wait for a good cue, but you could have waited a long time for Rice A Roni to come up, so feel free to post whatever whenever.

@zphage any extant video of this? You seem to have located the motherlode.

SPF2001 likes this.
  3. The image you speak of was happening but isolated. Drug addiction and reacted crime in America today (not just cities) is so much worse

4. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Rodger Collins-"Foxy Girls In Oakland"

geo50000, Bruso, zphage and 1 other person like this.
  5. I still have that Durocs album on Capitol and a promo “ coke mirror” from Capitol with their logo on it.

Ron has been a very successful pottery artist for years. Still in SF.

SPF2001 and speedracer like this.
  6. Fillmore West

Fillmore West Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I was assigned this book as a high school history text in San Francisco for a class on post-WWII American history.

The author has real bona fides: (from Wiki: “In his senior year, one of his roommates was the future “LSD millionaire” Owsley Stanley; as a result of their friendship, Perry was present for most of the great events of the San Francisco psychedelic scene of the mid-1960s. In 1968, he started working at Rolling Stone and was the first editorial employee who lasted more than a few weeks. He remained at Rolling Stone as an editor and staff writer until 1976, when he left to write The Haight-Ashbury: A Historyfor Random House.”)

ARK, jamesmaya and speedracer like this.
  7. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So I listened to Copperhead almost three times driving down to San Diego today, it's not bad, but not great either. I also ordered some more Cippolina: Dinosaurs, Zero's Here Goes Nothin', Doubtful Handshake by Terry & The Pirates, and Maximum Darkness by Man.

footlooseman, Bruso and speedracer like this.
  8. speedracer

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

That is as may be, however I think it is also fair to say that most of the musicians we equate with the SF Sound were fairly far out on the terrain a lot of the time. At least during the genesis of that sound.

420JJJazz666 and Dondy like this.
  10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Charles Perry is an interesting guy. He’s a food historian and was a food writer for the Los Angeles Times from 1990 to 2008. I always looked forward to his articles.

Fillmore West, ARK and speedracer like this.
  11. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Excuse me if Mother Earth have already been mentioned. The band leaned towards the blues and R&B with Tracy Nelson as lead vocalist. I like their 1968 debut album the best, “Living With the Animals”, with guest musicians from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band including Michael Bloomfield (credited as “Makal Blumfeld”).

[​IMG]

GerryO, Craig, zphage and 2 others like this.
  12. speedracer

Speaking of rice I managed to locate this, despite a bewildering array of hits on the search term "Bad Rice."

The Mystery Trend
    "Do I"

zphage and SPF2001 like this.
  13. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Watched Mazzy's youtube vids again today, and ordered the first two Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks discs, Box Scaggs' Slow Dancer, and a Jesse Collin Young CD.

speedracer likes this.
  14. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Anyone who likes Quicksilver Messenger Service should also check out the Welsh band Man, who were very much influenced by their sound. They have a great live album where they are joined by John Cipollina.
    Man – Maximum Darkness
    Year: 1975

Guitar, Vocals: Deke Leonard Guitar: John Cipollina Producer: Man Bass, Guitar, Vocals: Martin Ace Guitar, Vocals: Mickey Jones Drums: Terry Williams Recorder: Vic Maile Composer: Buffy Sainte-Marie

15. speedracer

Sounds Badass! Good singer, guitar. I keep hearing that name, I think @Duffy Shrimpton had a few words t say about Man, somewhere in his English psychedelic Sagas, never checked them out. Really good contrib, thanks for the youtube.

Copy ordered . Looked so excellent I stopped reading the review because I didn't want to spoil it. Thx for the recommend.

FalseMetal666 and ganma like this.
  16. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That's Ralph Gleason at the beginning of the video talking.

speedracer and zphage like this.
  17. Bruso

Bruso Dire wolf

In late ‘68, the original lineup of Country Joe and the Fish decided to call it a day. Bruce Barthol had already departed, and Jack Casady joined them for a brief farewell tour and played on half the songs on their studio album Here We Are Again. In January ‘69, they performed their final shows at the Fillmore West with Jack on bass throughout and Jorma, Jerry, Mickey and others joining in for the finale. An album Live! Fillmore West 1969 was released in 1994.

Doctor of Electricity

[​IMG]

18. speedracer

REALLY good! I love this record, pure SF melt. Got it direct from Joe him very self, see shameless promo below. Thanks for posting.

Since you brought up Country Joe now excuse me while I jump around at the intersection in a clown suit and wave a sign for a minute:

Country Joe McDonald

Screw Discogs and Ebay - Country Joe sells them cheaper! Buy em NEW direct from Joe, he is alive and well and will appreciate your support. Oh and wow what a concept it is HIS MUSIC, maybe he deserves a couple bucks for it!

He hangs out on his website all the time - there is a Contact Joe thing and he answers right away, talks about anything. Very cool cat.

CDs and vinyl box and lots of other neat stuff at his store. I just bought Live at Fillmore 1969, cd, big jam with Jack Casady and Garcia. Also the 2013 Electric Music from Ace.

Store has an old school form you have to fill out item number and such. In the "style/size" column I put "huge/acid rock"

ANd he signs them too, theres a box you can fill out

Country Joe McDonald

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    zphage, jamesmaya and Bruso like this.
  19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Robert Hunter Live 1985

Bruso, speedracer and jamesmaya like this.
  20. speedracer

Nice! Thanks. I will forever regret missing Robert Hunter live. I sure miss him.

VU Master likes this.
  21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I was disappointed to see that Country Joe’s FBI file consisted of only two pages. TWO (2) pages?!!! I mean, J. Edgar Hoover had seven pages on Monkee Micky Dolenz. :laugh:

22. brytenclear

brytenclear Well-Known Member

John Fogerty was right when he said a lot of the San Francisco Sound weren't even from California.

Linn County made a really good album in SF that's been overlooked in this thread so far. I saw their name on my favorite Lee Conklin poster and had to check them out.

There is a lot of information about the San Francisco scene but I've been wondering what was going on in Sacramento at that time. The only band I can think of from that area is Kak, who were from Davis.

Bruso, jamesmaya and speedracer like this.
  23. speedracer

Is this "radio ad" for real?

24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:laugh:

It sure sounds like something KMPX-FM might have done. Perhaps someone who was “there” at ground zero could chime in.

25. Bruso

Bruso Dire wolf

Welcome to the forum!