Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I know that a former FTD consultant recommended a nearly complete, two disc set of February 1972 live recordings to Ernst, but he pushed back on it because he thought there was too much duplication. Unless Ernst’s position has changed, it may not happen. Which is ironic because the endless onslaught of 1976 era soundboards offer the exact same thing over and over, at least the 1972 recordings are multi-tracked recordings, with Elvis generally in Rey good form.

2. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

Or 30 plus takes of King Of The Whole Wide World.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  3. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

That is a great song. I'd take 60 takes of it.

Come on let's sing, sing brother sing...

4. londonflash

Next time you're in the UK, we'll have a KOTWWW listening sesh over a drop of Argentinian malbec and a selection of continental cheeses.

5. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Deal! I will bring a nice bottle of Rutini wine from Mendoza. You take care of the cheese.

londonflash likes this.
  6. Ah yes, dedicated Elvis Internet forums, where the same 20 or so people speak so loudly and often you’d think their opinions represent all of fandom. Far from it.

javilu77 and Myke like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Exactly. If FTD can justify releasing take after take of inferior studio recordings, it seems odd that they do not share the same philosophy on allowing a vault dump of all of the February 1972 live recordings.

hodgo, londonflash, Sebastian and 2 others like this.
  8. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Well, it depends on the forum. On some of them they are not so loud.

Shawn likes this.
  9. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Yup, Elvis Country is on Apple Music in the Quad mix! I've listened to it, as well as On Stage---not too bad. I've sampled the others----but I would love to have these all on SACD, but happy they are out there now!

10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The MSG quadraphonic release is missing a couple of tracks and a verse is missing of Proud Mary.

croquetlawns and Shawn like this.
  11. Awesome, what streaming service are you listening to them on?

12. Jayson Wall

I'm streaming them on Apple Music via my Apple TV box in my home theater----I need to dig around to see what other Quad mixes have been uploaded from the Columbia/RCA labels from Sony

D-rock and Shawn like this.
  13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That is odd.

14. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I'd guess it's due to squeezing the show onto a single LP, the regular stereo release is pushing it as it is, at around 53 minutes, so a quad release would need to chop out some time.

Just another example of RCA being cheap!

Shawn, croquetlawns and artfromtex like this.
  15. Jayson Wall

I just pulled my Japanese Quad pressing on MSG along with my US original, and the Quad is missing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", "Introductions by Elvis" and "Funny How Time Slips Away"---about 9 minutes of content.

16. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I think Elvis was big enough and famous enough to get a Blu-ray audio with freshly made 5.1 mixes in DTS HD master audio or something like that. I would surely buy it.

chaz, Shawn, Rick H. and 2 others like this.
  17. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

The Apple Music quad MSG has an abbreviated "Proud Mary", and "Introductions by Elvis" in stereo. The rest of the album is complete and in quadraphonic.

Shawn and artfromtex like this.
  18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Just a heads up - it seems that the sessions sets are starting to be reissued, with Viva Las Vegas, Elvis is Back, Something for Everybody and American Sound 1969 all of for pre-order on the affiliated Australian site. I'm now feeling a little bit foolish paying a fair bit for VLV, but it was still worth every cent!

19. londonflash

If Something For Everybody gets a reprint, I'll probably buy that for the Wild In The Country outtakes. Some of these sessions boxes are selling for crazy money. I've seen SFE, HHIM and EIB online for £125 each!

croquetlawns, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  20. If anything on that album should be in quad it’s those intros - have a different musician in each speaker!

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I looked at the
    set last night and don't see enough to make me want to own it.
    While being my favorite era of Elvis, there's way too much duplication on those discs for me.
    Guessing it's for those people that feel the need to own everything no matter the amount of duplication, or those that own none of it already.

croquetlawns likes this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have a couple of the sessions sets. Viva Las Vegas and Elvis is Back. Possible another too; I forget. However, I rarely ever listen to them. The earlier, two-disc sets are almost always what I reach for.

croquetlawns, WhatDoIKnow and Myke like this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Exactly. When I had to pack up my collection late 2018, I could clearly see I had too much.
    Spring 2020 I sold so much here in our classifieds, I took in $7700.00, and I could finally see a reduction.
    Moving again nearly two years to the day in 2020 convinced me to promise myself I'd really better be sure I was buying something I was going to reach for past that day when it arrived in the mail.

I think an Elvis On Tour FTD might be the thing for me. I've cancelled the Legacy set as I have had the Blu ray for years, and those set lists just repeat themselves in my opinion, but my still having 23 FTDs that I do in fact reach for tells me I still love the label.
    After all, I've got all 8 takes of Suspicious Minds, something I never imagined in 1969. :winkgrin:

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

The VLV set although it's three discs is very well sequenced, similar in fashion to the two discs sets, so aside from the awful "The Climb" it makes for a highly enjoyable listening experience.

25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Any idea how to do this on a Mac, using iTunes to import?