Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

I like The Climb, but apart from that agree that it's a really well-sequenced set. Same with the two volumes for G.I. Blues.

From a scholarly perspective, I understand why people prefer everything in chronological song and take order, to hear the development of a particular number, but it's definitely not my preferred way of digging into a recording session.

2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m very tempted to get the Aloha from Hawaii set. It would be the first FTD I’ve purchased in a couple of years, I think. Who has the best prices once shipping is factored in, for US customers?

I would hold off if I knew that a mainstream release was for sure coming.

hodgo and Myke like this.
  3. Shop Graceland has it in stock for $65 (you’d need to put in your address for shipping options) - I doubt you will find it for less all-in. Shop Elvis would be another contender but they don’t seem to have it in stock.

minkahed, Myke and RSteven like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I whined about this very set's price more than a few times upthread, then after looking literally everywhere else, I went with Shop Graceland.
    $80.and change, arrived in a very sturdy box, mint condition and the remix ? Gorgeous !
    VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

minkahed, laf848, mgb70 and 5 others like this.
  5. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

If it helps the set came out digitally and can be streamed and purchased for download in all the usual places (Apple Music, Qobuz, etc.). I think you can also buy the tracks you don’t have individually. The mixing and mastering is identical to the Classic Album Trilogy though.

I have been keeping up with the Sessions releases. I just ordered the “Aloha” set a couple days ago (not technically part of the series but hey it’s in the same format) and am waiting for “Devil In Disguise” to ship but I won’t lie that I’ve lost a bit of the passion for the series I held at the start. This is because I tend to prefer the movie sessions and other recording sessions that stand to benefit from being reissued/remixed in better quality. Much as I adore the Bill Porter era they really have been front loading the range with those sessions instead of opting for more variety and places where the format can shine.

The last sessions announcement and release that truly excited me was “Kid Galahad” which was checks notes over 2 years ago. :eek: The new mixes were definitive IMO and the outtakes were fun. That said I did greatly enjoy the “His Hand In Mine” release and I’ve always loved those sessions to begin with.

6. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I don't like using iTunes to import CDs to Mac, too many glitches. I recommend using XLD to import on Mac, you can set it to automatically add the files to iTunes.

Hep Alien, CBackley and artfromtex like this.
  7. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have never owned a Mac. I have no idea.
    I hope this helps.

Vintage1976 and CBackley like this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks. I’ll need to try that. Too many errors with iTunes.

artfromtex likes this.
  9. prostx23

prostx23 Somewhat Gentleman of Mediocre Sophistication

I'm still debating on whether to buy Devil in Disguise. I never got the previous FTD set chronicling those sessions, mainly because I'm not much of a fan of them. The "Lost Album" and the sessions overall, imo, are a significant step down from Pot Luck and Something For Everybody, which themselves were a step down (Pot Luck not as much imo) from Elvis Is Back. I may try to pick it up later, but I'm not really in a rush, and if I miss it... can't say I'll be crushed at the notion.

croquetlawns likes this.
  10. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

You can go into the Preferences, Import Settings and check the box for Use Error Correction.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Split the difference.... go vinyl!
    Elvis Sings Memphis Tennessee FTD Vinyl LP Set

prostx23 likes this.
  12. londonflash

If you're not that much of a fan of the sessions, then I wouldn't bother. No point buying something to collect dust. Put the money towards the On Tour set instead which, judging by your avatar, I'd wager you're more a fan of.

I didn't buy this one, but only because all but one false start is available in stunning sound quality on the Elvis Sings Memphis Tenneesse FTD.

croquetlawns, prostx23 and Shawn like this.
  13. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

But how can you sleep at night knowing you don't own that false start on a CD?

14. londonflash

I think it was on an import I've had for years so sleep can continue pretty much uninterrupted :D

15. londonflash

That said, if Something For Everybody does get reissued, then there's a part of me that's gonna want to buy His Hand In Mine and Devil In Disguise to avoid gaps in the Nashville sets.

Something tells me FTD bank on this sort of mindset.

artfromtex and javilu77 like this.
  16. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

So what's the story of the Fort Worth '74 and Las Vegas 1973 sets? Those seem to have come and gone pretty quickly. Did they only print a few copies of each of those?

17. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I seem to recall, though I could be mistaken, that these releases more or less coincided with the 'great FTD warehouse fire' and as such may have fallen into a peculiar situation of scarcity because of that?

Shawn, croquetlawns and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Ah, I forgot about warehouse fire. Hopefully these will be reprinted at some point.

Shawn likes this.
  19. prostx23

prostx23 Somewhat Gentleman of Mediocre Sophistication

The On Tour Set is a must purchase for me. I have not preordered it yet, but I will soon enough.

20. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

In a semi-related FTD question: Is there anyone who makes the poly outer sleeve to fit the 8" FTD sets? Going through the vendors that make and sell these on the interest (Bags Unlimited etc), all I can find are the standard 7" 45 RPM and 10" LP sizes.

21. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Apparently FTD are also doing an On Tour package separate from the mainstream Legacy set.

minkahed, Hep Alien, prostx23 and 2 others like this.
  22. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I hope it somehow includes the March sessions re-mixed in a similar fashion as the two recent Nashville sets. Although recorded well, the mixes of this material have been a bit thin and soft. More live goodies not on the Legacy set will make this a perfect companion.

23. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I’d also be fine with the studio sessions getting their own Sessions release. It would be a fine way for the Sessions range to officially enter the 70s.

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Apart for "Viva Las Vegas" & "Aloha From Hawaii" I've not had any interest in buying the FTD Sessions releases. However, one possible future release that would interest me is a remixed and nicely remastered sessions set for the "On Stage February 1970" recordings.

minkahed and croquetlawns like this.
  25. I don’t believe Aloha was part of the ‘Sessions’ series; it would be tough to do a live album that way and technically a series of concerts that build up to an album release aren’t sessions.

minkahed likes this.