What are the best sounding Jimi Hendrix CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Jan 12, 2013.

1. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Got 3? Sorry, I don't follow.

I've just been looking into it, and it somebody said the stereo AYE was rolled off in some areas, and people thought it sounded lifeless, possibly having had a cut to the midrange. Wether some of that is just silly audiophile banter I have no idea; If you enjoy it you enjoy it, and the standards people on this forum have sometimes are pretty silly I think.

One other thing I have to add was in a conversation with an excellent vinyl ripper a little while ago, they told me that vinyl will never live up to a well-mastered release from the master tape, as vinyl screws with the low bass frequencies and things like that.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Agree - all of these are great. The 1995 Alan Douglas version of Band Of Gypsys on Capitol ain't half bad either for the original mix. Songs For Groovy Children is an absolute must, however.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’ve zero interest in the SACD’s. The original Reprise discs sound great, to my ears. And when I find something that pleases me, I don’t get caught up in chasing other options and wasting more money.

4. pool_of_tears

1985, 1987…all the same, to me ;)
    Seriously though, it was a typo and I didn’t even notice

ricks likes this.
  5. Off:
    How 'bout 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be); is that "all the same" to you as well!!

6. pool_of_tears

Touché

7. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Definitive Answers here? Good Luck. Here are my views (contrarian in some places)

AYE Stereo -1985 Reprise, non RE-1, The SACD is probably the best alternate
    AYE Mono SACD (it is your only choice for the Mono digitally)

AXIS Stereo - 1985 Reprise, non RE-1 Or SACD Both are good. I can't choose one over the other
    Axis Mono SACD (only choice but unlike AYE I find Axis Mono to be really good as the only choice)

ELL 2.0- 1985 Reprise, RE-1 and 2019 Blu Ray 2.0 very different but both Great (I not only don't like the Non RE-1 ELL I despise it) The Early West German Polydor pressing is also worth checking out
    ELL 5.1 2019 Blu Ray

cry of love -2014 Sony and the Reprise Non RE-1 Both are great and slightly different. I can't choose one over the other.
    rainbow bridge- 2014 Sony cd

8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The danger of auto correct. Should've just been "is great"

A Local Bloke likes this.
  9. Experiencereunited

Correction the ELL I like is definitley not 1985 but 1990

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

'specially as no 1985 exists :)

My preferred Electric Ladyland Digital is the Original 1987 no RE-1 Reprise with the following EQ modifications applied to all tracks except for the 2 Voodoo Chiles; +3dB at 50Hz and 63Hz, and +1.2dB at 80Hz - props on the EQ to @tmtomh

11. A Local Bloke

Just a little bump. Is there any chance you have any idea about this @lukpac ?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure, sorry.

13. A Local Bloke

Also, I've recently revised my core digital Hendrix collection. It now includes:

AYE mono: Prof Stoned 50th
    AYE stereo: SACD
    ABAL mono: SACD
    ABAL stereo: SACD
    EL stereo: 50th bluray 2.0
    BOG: 1997 CD
    COL: 2014 CD (+2 tracks from RB '14 CD)
    'Smash Hits!': Prof Stoned AYE 50th (+2 tracks from PS' Stepping Stone single)

Smash Hits is a comp of all 4 mono UK singles, the 3 US Smash Hits-only stereo mixes and his 1970 single. No repeated tracks and comes to LP length! Rounds out his official discography very well.

14. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I don’t have links to hand, but my understanding is that they all still exist other than Stone Free, which is AWOL.

15. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Is there a recommended release for the Scene club jam or are they all pretty much the same?

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I'd avoid ones with Maurice on!

17. "The Singles Album" mixes questions*:

Just back from the disasterous [cancelled release date] "Electric Lady" box set thread. Knowledge on SHMF always amazes me. Currently the thread as pretty much gone off-topic & into original mixes [primarily Hendrix's hands on the console].

* How many of tracks are the original single mixes on the West Germany & Japanese Polydor releases?
    WG
    Jimi Hendrix - The Singles Album
    JPN
    Jimi Hendrix - The Singles Album

Also mentioned was "Kiss the Sky" & the 'Purple Box' having original single(s) mix(es) too!!

Anyone have favorite ceedee sources for original single mixes?
    [officially released releases only]

Got the "The Singles Collection" earlier this Century. Despised the masterings & not all mono single mixes were included:
    Jimi Hendrix - The Singles Collection
    DRD:
    Album details - Dynamic Range DB
    Ugh!

Thanks.

18. Off belly laughing:
    "And when I find something that pleases me, I don’t get caught up in chasing other options and wasting more money."

Shut the forum down!
    :laugh:

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  19. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Yes, the loud mastering of The Singles Collection is the same as on the 1997 EH remasters (the songs that are on both).

All Down The Line likes this.
  20. TomStrand

TomStrand Forum Resident

Mina favoriter/rekommendationer: The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Are You Experienced? - CD Reprise Records ‎- 6261-2 (1986, US) mastered by Lee Herschberg

Axis: Bold As Love - CD Reprise Records ‎- 6281-2 (1987, US) Remastered by Lee Herschberg

Electric Ladyland - 2xCD Reprise Records ‎- 6307-2 (1987, US) Remastered by Lee Herschberg

P.S. (All of the above without RE-1).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    AntLantic, Fox67, jfeldt and 2 others like this.
  21. Experiencereunited

Just picked up this little guy.

[​IMG]

I bought it to get the alternate BBC takes officially. Of course this prompted me to do some compares of Day Tripper.

Day Tripper Compares

Day Tripper Minidisc
    The mini disc version is quite frankly a bit harsh especially Day Tripper compared to the other 2 tracks. I thought I was listening to an EH CD and then I had to remind myself this was a Douglas release. It does some things well. For instance I really like how Mitch's drums are way up front. The vocals can get really harsh however and really I just didn't enjoy this one overall.

Radio One
    This was a much smoother and better listen however, it did feel like something had been sucked out of the recording. Some ways rather lifeless.
    Seems there have been quite a few pressings of this one and I'm pretty sure the one I have now is not the original one I bought as at some point my original had CD rot on Burning of The Midnight Lamp so I replaced it. The one I used for the compare was The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Radio One (1988, PDO, CD) - Discogs

BBC Sessions 1997 EH
    Better and more full than Radio One and loud. However, it is harsh as well but in a different way to the minidisc and really fatiguing.

BBC Sessions 2010 EH
    For me this is the best of the bunch. Yes its loud but overall a bit smoother listen than the 97.

Go to for me is the 2010. That being said I still prefer the real mono mixes that circulate to any of these.

alchemy, Peter_R, J_D__ and 1 other person like this.
  22. A Local Bloke

Yeah, I go for Prof Stoned's latest version as it's more complete and in actual mono.

J_D__ likes this.
  23. Experiencereunited

Thats the one I'm referring to. It really is fantastic.

24. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I listened to the Douglas BBC hoping it would sound better than the 97 EH. Pretty much came to the same conclusions as above. I think it's one of the harsher sounding Douglas releases.

25. A Local Bloke

Do the 2 sets have the same songs?