Technics Turntable Upgrades Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr. Metal MD, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

R
    Excellent information Oelewapper, thanks so much. I did not know this before.. :thumbsup:

Oelewapper likes this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Perhaps... the last time I've heard such cartridge is quite some time ago.
    Assuming that you're using the same setup for CD as records, it might just be the mastering of the records or cds... you should check if you can find a needledrop of the exact record and pressing you own and see if that one lacks bass as well.
    Alternatively, you could always buy a 15 bucks AT3600L to do some experimenting with, that one should have sufficient bass - it just lacks detail and is a bit sibilant due to the entrylevel quality.

Edit: I used to own a Behringer PP400 preamp too, that one tends to make cartridges sound a bit sharp/shrill, so that might be causing an apparent lack of bass too.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  3. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

For those of you with older 1200 or 1210, have you upgraded your caps? I know it's not part of the signal path but given it would be around $20, I am surprised there is not more talk about this. Have not done it myself, but considering it. Some vendors offer the full cap set, but interestingly enough, nothing mentioned on the KAB site about this.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Tried to determine what it did by removing it and using an old Technics amplifier with dedicated Phono In as a preamp, plugged into the Marantz receiver, but it still sounded bass shy. I had to add a graphic equalizer to get a better sound, just like in my college days. But that's too many components for the living room.

Oelewapper likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Technics cartridges are old and you cannot get OEM styli for them anymore. Cheap generic replacements may vary widely in quality, and stylus suspensions on old styli can also harden up over time and hamper performance. IIRC the Technics cartridges are well regarded - if you can get one that works properly. That may be a challenge today vs. back in the 80s or whatever. I don't what loading Technics spec'd for that model - you will need to research that.

I'm not sure I would trust that Behringer phono preamp either. The cheapest thing I can recommend is the ART DJ pre if you need an inexpensive phono preamp.

6. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I recently had my old 1200M3D fully upgraded by KAB; tonearm rewire, Delrin thrust plate, outboard power supply, strobe defeat, fluid damper, etc.

Included with all that was a general inspection and operations check; you might want to email Kevin at KAB and ask what's included in that check and whether he includes re-capping/minor repairs in upgrade costs, if it's needed.

aunitedlemon and patient_ot like this.
  7. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

I will send him an email to get his thoughts on it. Doing the work myself should be easy enough, really just wondering why it's not much of a topic, given that with amps and speakers there is constant talk of cap upgrades. Yes, they on a TT the caps are not in the signal path, but still...

8. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I assume the stress on those parts is so minimal, they suffer from minimal age-related drift.

9. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Different tonearm, KAB PS, thrust plate.
    [​IMG]

10. James Lovell

James Lovell Forum Resident

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the setup on the cart was off.

11. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on improvements because of the thrust plate? I've been curious about this one and it's relatively inexpensive.

12. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

I got one on my mark II and I cant say it improved the sound but the little well it has does give me piece of mind that it is being well lubricated.

aorecords likes this.
  13. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

x sounds best to me whatever the mods or no mods.

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I guess I might as well reveal the key at this point:
    Key:

X = No mod
    Z = Damper
    Y = Fully Modded

15. Technocentral

Hmm, with x drums sound a bit fuller and like the bass better, so not a good advertisement for mods at least for me!

16. Leonthepro

If you say so, I dont hear much of a difference as I recall, the damper might help on some tracking and noise though.

17. Technocentral

Well X has the rubber on the tonearm and reasonace cap so not fully stock, I might try the tubearm thing. I dont really hear any difference in any of them in terms of background noise though.

18. Leonthepro

It would have to be a silent groove to hear a noise difference, like runouts.

19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Don't forget that the KAB damper can be tuned by using minimal amounts of fluid.
    You can also try a lighter viscosity fluid at different levels as well...

Ingenieur, Helom and aunitedlemon like this.
  20. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I just installed the Funk Firm Houdini and Cobra, adding to the APM and Bo!ng feet. The difference is apparent and amazing! The Houdini made the biggest difference. Stunning!

aorecords and FalseMetal666 like this.
  21. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Can you tell us more about the Houdini?

22. The only upgrades I've done to my 1210 is change out the arm and a new OEM dust cover. My 1210 was purchased off eBay for $200.00 in the early part of this Century. It was used for DJing but the physical condition was good except for the arm. I quickly noticed after one LP that the little queing arm near the base of the tone arm was broken and poorly glued in place. At the time the Jelco sa750 arm was a popular upgrade. The Jelco arm and arm board were gotten off eBay and I performed the installation myself. My 1210 is my daily use TT but waiting in the wings: SL-10 & SL-1800MKII.

action pact likes this.
  23. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

There’s a good YouTube review of the Funk Firm upgrades that was on the money. The Houdini adds a refinement to the sound that makes it sound like you went from a middle of the road cartridge to a high end one. As the reviewer said, it made his 2M Blue sound like a 2M Black. Very noticeable, and right away. Cymbals have a refined shimmer rather than being splashy…

aorecords likes this.
  24. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Thanks

25. HBIII

HBIII Well-Known Member

I bought a herbies way excellent II 6mm turntable mat for my technics 1210gr and it sounds great and allows for a better range of VTA adjustments when using different cartridges. Not sure why it is sold stock with a 3mm mat.