What are the best sounding Jimi Hendrix CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

The EH has everything on the Douglas set and more.

A Local Bloke likes this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Still trying to figure out why Little Miss Lover and Please Don’t Crawl Out Your Window didn’t make them cut on Radio One, just two songs short (I get why the Stevie jams didn’t lame the cut back then)

Man at C&A and A Local Bloke like this.
  3. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I think Douglas was saving CYPCOYW for his Hendrix sings Dylan project.

4. John Harchar

Was that panned around that time or a few years later? I know one of the books has the track listing. I thought it was early 90s

The only explanation for LML’s omission I can think of is too much Brian Matthews talk over the opening, they couldn’t cut it out like Purple Haze or leave it like Fire.

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Thanks to a search here and finding similar stories, it saved me from doing the same thing (i.e. trying to clean the non-play side of a UK PDO Cat Stevens CD).

:righton:

6. john lennonist

:wtf: :doh:

7. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Can't remember.

8. john lennonist

I'm gonna throw this out there:

I have notes from a previous thread that said that the MCA 1993 (from the 1993 series with the cool alternate album covers), remastered by Joe Gastwirt) is (or at least was at the time) the Best-Sounding of all “Axis” redbook CDs.

jb welda likes this.
  9. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

I am interested in hearing responses to this. If this is true, gonna jump on one right away, seems like they are cheap and plentiful. Thanks for the tip.

jb

john lennonist likes this.
  10. From your notes, post which SHMF thread that was posted on & by whom.
    Thanks.

11. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I'm sure opions differ, not just on this Douglas core trio issue.

That set is usually my go to if I happen to want to listen to the digital set, from disc.

Some get hung up on source or faults. The best one is the one YOU like and if something is going cheap I'd suggest trying it out for yourself.

Experiencereunited likes this.
  12. john lennonist

Don't have those details... sorry.

I would say probably from a thread that I saw about eight years ago.

13. Off:
    Thanks.

Lots of people have had lots of opinions over the years at SHMF on Hendrix ceedees. The MCA '93 releases have certainly had fans here in the past; just haven't seen much of a preference for them recently.
    IMO the Analogue Production 2018 "A:BAL" mono is the best digital disc. Previously it was the stereo Reprise '89 pre-RE-1 for 'analog-ish' SQ & the stereo Japanese Polydor P33P for IMO clean/clear digital sound [which is acceptable (Hendrix is rarely if ever fantastic on CD/so compromises concerning CD SQ are inevitable) not accepting of harsh/crushed digital sound at all].

Good luck!

john lennonist and A Local Bloke like this.
  14. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

What is the best digital source for the stereo Red House, Can You See Me and Remember?

rnranimal likes this.
  15. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I like this set, personally. I don't even mind the alternate covers - the originals are on the flip side so if you're really offended by them just flip the booklet over. I think some complain about the No-Noise treatment on this set but I guess I don't know what I'm listening for. I think overall they sound great and each have a great essay inside. The box with all three albums and the best-of (including a few non-albums songs) is available pretty cheaply on Ebay and Discogs - I just got one for under $30. I've tried many different versions of these albums over the years but I think I've settled on these being my favorites.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Have just started looking into this. So far, I have:

Can You See Me: Polydor AYE. But I have only found this CD and the '97 AYE to compare. The '97 was slammed and too bright, imo.

Red House stereo: I'm trying to choose between the Ultimate Experience HDCD and Kiss The Sky. HDCD is fuller but less dynamic. KTS is dynamic but kind of thin/weak sounding. FWIW, the non-HDCD Ultimate Experience steals this track from Kiss The Sky CD with some minor change. It doesn't improve it.

Remember- I haven't tried anything other than the '97 AYE yet. The Polydor has a not great sounding mono.

Would love to hear what others like for these tracks and a list of CDs with them if anyone has such a list.

17. John Harchar

If they had a digital version of the 2016 Smash Hits BG remaster, it’d likely be in the running. Since we don’t have that, it looks like a choice between the ones rnranimal listed and whatever issue of US Smash Hits people deem the best.

18. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I have the Prof Stoned rips of those 2016 remasters, although he messed with them heavily to get them to sound like his AYE rip. I suppose I'll keep going with those...

Why oh why does EH do such good LP reissues but not release them digitally?

John Harchar likes this.
  19. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

If you enjoy it you enjoy it period. I have that box too. I rarely listen to that box. In fact I was thinking about selling it. It is a pretty nice box to get the core albums in one place along with The Ultimate Experience (non HDCD version)

".

20. Experiencereunited

FYI Kiss The Sky has many different pressings and they are definitely not all the same.

I'm happy with the Reprise Smash hits with CDG graphics which has all of them on it. I have never compared that Smash Hits with Kiss The Sky or Ultimate Experience even though I have all of them. I would much rather put any of them on and just chill as I think they are all really good (Kiss The Sky is pressing dependent though some of the Kiss The Sky pressings I don't like.)

rnranimal likes this.
  21. Guesstimation/Generalization:
    "Why oh why does EH do such good LP reissues but not release them digitally?"
    A super frustating situation to be sure; though not always the case.
    My guesstamation is that generally labels precieve vinyl releases to be more for audiophiles & non-HD digital releases [i.e. CD] to be more for the non-audiophile general public.

Teeth grindingly madding to constantly seeing new releases on both wax & poly formats with the vinyl [& mostly the digital download as well] having superior dynamic range compared to the ceedee.
    :realmad:

22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The essays have not been praised enough.

23. John Harchar

I was hoping the BG master would be used for a bargain reissue of Smash Hits aka CoL and RB but not yet. Also wanted the 50th BoG vinyl reissued as a nice digipak but…

SinnerSaint likes this.
  24. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

The Japan Polydor of "Hendrix In The West" really is excellent. Catalogue number P20P-22009. If you're coming from the original LP it might sound a bit bright, but it's bursting with life.

jhm likes this.
  25. Experiencereunited

So I have now spent some serious time with the 2018 ELL 50th CD. Also I did comparisons to the Blu Ray the 97 and 2010 as well as the 97 cassette. I didn’t compare to the older CDs because I have commented on those up thread.

At first glance many might think the 2018 is simply the 2010 repackaged. The CD even has the exact same artwork on it. That first glance would be wrong. Firstly the 97, 2010 and 2018 all have slightly different DR#s (none of them very good) but most importantly they sound different.

The 2018 while admittedly loud doesn’t make me cringe in the loudest sections like the 97 and 2010s and is in reality a pretty enjoyable listen. No clipping etc. Because it is loud I do acknowledge the 2018 can lead to listening fatigue. But it is nice take in the car (for those that still have a cd player) as well as listen to on the main rig.

When comparing to the Blu Ray 2.0 the Blu Ray seems to have more depth and just feels better on your ears and body. The Blu Ray is also loud but less fatiguing and just makes u feel better than the CD.

Bottom line I think the 2018 while admittedly loud is unfairly maligned. It is very good and the best CD of ELL EH has put out by a good bit in my view.

Lastly I pulled out the 97 cassette. I think most forum members agree the tonality of the 97 CDs is great until u get to the loud sections where it then becomes almost unlistenable. Well this problem doesn’t exist on the cassette. Here you get to hear Marino’a fine mastering but without the problems of the loudness war of the CDs or the inherent issues vinyl has. No fatigue just smooth great sound.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022