Going through a spy thriller phase, Please recommend me some movies or series.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kassonica, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I've watched Tinker Tailor soldier spy, Smilies People and just finished a respectable series called little drummer girl, also written by John La carre... I'm also aware of the spy who came out of the cold...

But if you recommend either movies of series in that genre that would be great, old or new

Thanks in advance....

jwoverho, Uncle Miles and SunSon like this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

You may enjoy 'Operation Mincemeat' on Netflix.

Dillydipper, jbmcb, Bill Hart and 2 others like this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The Bureau Season 1-5 about the French Secret Service is just a few notches below "The Wire" as all time best series imo, and is as thoughtful, unnerving, rivals any LeCarre adaptations. Both the nuts and bolts of everyday espionage, as well as the long term consequences and costs of being deep undercover

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

James Bond series?

5. Kassonica

na, I like gritty and somewhat real.... but thanks anyway

ronbow, Robert C and SunSon like this.
  6. Kassonica

ooh I will check that out... thanks

7. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I recommend another Le Carré film adaptation: The Deadly Affair (1966) directed by Sidney Lumet. I saw it recently and thought it was great.

Another more recent Le Carré adaptation worth seeking out is the BBC mini series of The Night Manager (2016)

Also I second The Bureau recommendation, it is excellent.

8. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

The Sandbaggers, a British series from the late 70s, is also quite good. It shows a lot of the internal workings of an intelligence agency.

9. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

The old man.

RockNRod likes this.
  10. nutsfortubes

The constant gardener.

11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Slow Horses, books and TV series?

12. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Here's my vote for the Harry Palmer films with Michael Caine.
    [​IMG]
    • The Ipcress File
    • Funeral In Berlin
    • The Billion Dollar Brain
    The last one is a bit OTT, as it was a Ken Russell film!

Apaprently they's recently remade the property. Not sure if its a series of film/streaming/thingy. Or where it can be seen in the balkanized, gordian knot of modern entertainment

Dennis Metz, jupiter8, Bradd and 7 others like this.
  13. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I was surprised how much I like Danger Man, especially the hour-long episodes beginning with season two. IMO, much better than American spy shows in the 1960s like Mission Impossible and Man From UNCLE. More realistic than the former. Some humorous spots, but not at all goofy like the latter. Unlike both, the endings can be quite surprising. The Brits seem to be better at the genre. Top it off with The Prisoner, of course.

14. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

What about The Americans?

mrjinks, Madness, Scopitone and 9 others like this.
  15. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

The series on Apple TV + is excellent.

16. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Agreement!

17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't have a film recommendation, but if you're into that sort of thing, check out the graphic novel series Queen & Country by Greg Rucka.

18. nutsfortubes

The prisoners is one of the best shows and is still relevant today.

blivet, alchemy, RickH and 1 other person like this.
  19. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

I mean you may as well do the BBC 80s A Perfect Spy and the recent Night Manager if Le Carre adaptations are on the menu. I really liked the former - maybe less of a thriller per se, but very well done.

Mrs Primitivesludge was watching The Capture on BBC yesterday and if pacy mystery types are up your street, then that is recent and relevant. It didn't quite capture me, pardon the pun, but she liked it.

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Night Manager is gets more intense as it goes along. One of the better LeCarre adaptations I think mainly because the story lent itself to cinematic expression. LeCarre's peak as a novelist was Honourable Schoolboy, which no one seems in a hurry to adapt. I hope they leave it alone unless they figure out how to tell the story. There's also not a lot of conventional action

21. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I can't comment on the TV adaptations, since I've never seen them, but Ian Rankin's John Rebus novels will keep you busy (there are a lot of them) and very entertained for a long time. Lots of great obscure music references too (Richard & Linda Thompson among them). They're very much in real-time (characters get older, are promoted or passed over, etc.), so if you're going to tackle the series, start at the beginning and read them in sequence order.

conjotter, pscreed and uzn007 like this.
  22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Night Manager was superb. One of my old favorites, not Le Carre, but Frederick Forsyth, is the original filmed version of Day of the Jackal-- assassination plot and a cat and mouse with a brilliant hit man. Very satisfying. I'm sure there are more, but my brain warming up.

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The Night Manager - I'll second (or third) this recomendation.
    Berlin Station - I really liked S1 and S3, not so much S2.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Surprised no one mentioned Homeland. Was excellent when Damian Lewis was involved!

25. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

The Night Manager, fourthed or fifthed. Tom Hiddleston is pretty splendid in the lead role; haunted in just the right amount, and effortlessly charming and likable. Properly hateful villains, too.

For books, Alan Furst is a fantastic thriller writer with his novels primarily set in the years leading up to and during WW2 in Europe. Unlike a lot of thrillers, they’re suspenseful and tough but not bummers.

Dillydipper and brew ziggins like this.