Heads up to Discogs sellers/buyers: USPS is randomly inspecting Media Mail shipments at the counter

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Zapruder, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know? Thread Starter

Thread title says it all. If you get a package from Discogs that looks kinda mangled, that’s probably why. I’m honestly pretty upset about this and feel like the word needs to get out if it hasn’t already.

LordThanos1969 and JoeF. like this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Why?
    For what purpose?

3. MacStones

MacStones Forum Resident

Regular Discogs user here (buying from overseas). This news is interesting.

What would these inspections compromise?

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

How frequently have you seen this and how did you confirm this action is taking place?

5. USPS has the right to do that.
    “Media Mail® service has special eligibility requirements for permissible contents. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:

• Books (at least 8 pages).
    • Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
    • Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
    • Printed music.
    • Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
    • Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
    • Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
    • Printed educational reference charts.
    • Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.
    Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance

with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM 300) 173.3.2, Media Mail Packages are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper rate and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage (DMM 604.8.1).”

BluesOvertookMe, ATR and Vaughan like this.
  6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

People were abusing the privilege to ship things that didn't qualify as media and USPS cottoned on to it. I was reminded recently at the post office, told the reason, and politely warned that packages could be subject to inspection fot failure to observe the regulations. I have more problems with people abusing the rule than with USPS. No one who I ship to has complained about the merchandise being missing or damaged or packages opened. I'm sure practice varies throughout the system. I see no reason for concern or outrage. Postal regulations have not changed. I doubt they have the personnel to assign a chore like inspecting media mail. I don't even get reliable six days a week delivery. They hadn't come Friday or Saturday, had to pay someone to deliver yesterday who still didn't have my scheduled Amazon delivery from Saturday.

morinix likes this.
  7. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

Yeah, part of the media mail deal has long been that USPS has a right to inspect.

8. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I'm a frequent CD buyer on Discogs and the packaging has always been at least acceptable.

9. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Yep, this. Has literally been gong on for YEARS. I ship a lot of books and CDs, and have only had a package opened once. Problem was that it was a rare book and the lady doing the inspection was really sloppy about repackaging.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've been in a Post Office line and seen people request Media Mail for stuff like a computer part.

11. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

Some PO even have a red rubber stamp they'll put on the package which states Subject to Inspection. It's a part of the deal

Judge Judy likes this.
  12. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I had a MM package that I was mailing opened and inspected at the counter about 10 years ago.

13. Zapruder

Just happened for the first time last week when I was dropping off an LP at the post office. Got randomly popped for an inspection.

mwheelerk likes this.
  14. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

That could explain why I had a cd stolen from a padded envelope last year. If it was opened for inspection and not sealed as well as I had secured it, the replacement tape either came loose or someone ripped it off. I had the empty envelope returned to me about 70-75 days after mailing and the occasional tracking appearance. I switched to using boxes and mandatory insurance.

15. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I was told that it is random - the USPS point of sale system will randomly notify the clerk that an inspection is required. It was opened by the clerk in front me and then resealed in front of me.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Nothing like using a sledgehammer to kill off a couple of small ants.

Dave likes this.
  17. Zapruder

Yep, that’s exactly what happened.

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  18. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

I wonder if that's what happened to a package I recently received from Dusty Groove. One corner of the box was completely crushed and two of the four cds ordered were missing.