Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

I’m waiting for a thread troller to report some of these posts as off-topic. I’m the thread starter, if that means anything anymore, and I am not bothered at all by brief discussion tangents, including Pacino’s acting ability (or lack thereof). But my (recent) experience at another thread has reminded me how picayune some can be.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

They dont dare. We are all in post BCS mourning and very unpredictable. Now where is my green boxcutter...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    misterjones, Nightfly68 and ubiknik like this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Very true.
    There was a recent thread someone in CA started that was trying to discuss his playing of CDs over vinyl during the heat wave, he has no air conditioning and wasn't trying to start a 'vinyl VS CD' thread.
    Anyway he plays both and in the first post mostly laid out the heat issues.
    People took it in stride and joked a little and veered off into talking about heat related issues and the stress on the power grid. A Gort tried changing the title of the thread so as not to attract the usual Vinyl VS CD characters which was kind of funny, the Gort even participated in the thread.
    Two or more pages on someone new posts something like 'can you all take that power grid talk to it's own thread'.

Suffice it to say that poster didn't even read the first page from what I could tell and it was kind of rude and obnoxious to bust in there saying people were 'not discussing the thread topic', when everyone who participated was doing just fine.

That thread was a lighthearted free for all till mister bozo showed up...

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Try sitting in as the odd man out in the Mofi-lie thread. Now that is a challenge lol

misterjones likes this.
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I check in there infrequently, but when I do it's crazy...
    [​IMG]

misterjones likes this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

:laugh: Im definitely using that the next time it gets filthy ape in there

MikeInFla and ubiknik like this.
  7. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

It's pretty funny.

mpayan likes this.
  8. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

I actually started watching that movie last night! I've seen it before (several times), including when it first hit the movie theaters in the late 1960s. The film is a classic, but the book (originally called Monkey Planet for American readers, I think, and written by Pierre Boulle of Bridge on the River Kwai fame) is superior (if only because the apes don't speak English).

And this relates to Better Call Saul because of the Time Machine theme in the final season and because Mike looks like a bald Dr. Zaius and . . . whatever . . .

MikeInFla and ubiknik like this.
  9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Speaking of Time Machine theme: when Saul has a discussion with Mike near the well, he looks fresh like out of office or something.
    I remember him having sun burns and cracked lips in Season 5. They run out of makeup I guess.

10. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Not that it's touted but neither did Carlito's Way.
    Surprised that some 90's movies feel dated.

11. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I think Carlito's Way has held up pretty well. Just my two cents, if that much.

12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I like Carlito's Way, but that ending is so far-fetched. I don't want to spoil it for those who have not seen it, but it's not realistic that a certain character would shoot another and leave a living witness who was standing two feet away and had to have seen his face.

What's funny about Scarface is it was almost 40 years ago and Mark Margolis looked really old then (but was only early 40s). I always thought just his face and looks were super scary and intimidating, even in that limited role.

13. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

I saw Mark Margolis in an old TV show my wife was watching. Had to really do a double take. Hector!!! It might have even been Colombo.

GMfan87' and slipkid like this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It was amazing how much mileage Pacino got out of some of those lines with his crazy fake latino accent. He was definitely playing in theater of the absurd with these over the top lines. Whether it was, "I owe him, Gale" or "I never like tha' guy" or dozens of others he wrung every bit of feeling he could out of that script. He did Scent of a Woman and Glengarry Glen Ross around the same time as CW, and his method for all three roles kind of merged, conflating blindness, office politics, military toughness and latin machismo that was a bizarre spectacle to behold.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    GMfan87' and mattazing like this.
  15. The 1932 Howard Hawks original? I think it's damn good. I mean, it's 1932, a year before alcohol prohibition in the United States ended, giving the public a look at the War on Drugs and what it created. It's also a pre-code film, which is a plus.

16. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Any one know when Odenkirk and Esposito’s new shows start?

17. Nightfly68

2023 is all I have heard so far. I would think by Spring at the latest but who knows.

GMfan87' likes this.
  18. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Rhea robbed again. :realmad:

Nightfly68 and Grootna like this.
  19. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

BCS robbed full stop.

How can a show this great not win an Emmy? I guess the Wire didn't either, and it was arguably the greatest TV series of all time.

Grootna likes this.
  20. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

BCS deserved an Emmy just for teaching us Chuck's soda can trick alone.

21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

It would have been great to see her win, but Julie Garner was amazing on Ozark as well, so it is hard to fault their pick.

The problem is that there are so many great dramas now, and only person/show can win in each category.

22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yeah, Julie Garner was pretty good.
    It's very subjective though as far as the type of acting and role they play, in my eyes Rhea did an equally intense bit of acting in BCS, but Julie's performance was in a story with a more revved up arc action wise so she got it.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

24. Nightfly68

I wonder if the Emmy voters actually watched BCS at all. When Rhea didnt win I changed the channel because I knew it would turn out the way it did.

RSteven likes this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hey, at least ted lasso won some stuff.

George Co-Stanza and Mark B. like this.