Joni Mitchell ‘Asylum Albums (1972-1975)’ Box Set Due 9/23/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Jul 28, 2022.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Can confirm 10/28 release date for a stand-alone For The Roses. Black vinyl pressing. There’s an indie-exclusive aqua blue color vinyl pressing as well.

2. Tim Edwards

Tim Edwards Well-Known Member

Can anyone clarify what is going on with the digital release of the Asylum box set? Joni's own site appears to offer one at a reasonable price but it does not appear Hi-Res. Qobuz meanwhile is offering 96/24 bit (for a painful price) - what is actually genuine here?

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I see $29 on Joni’s site and Qobuz for the standard resolution. HD 24/96kHz on Qobuz for $44.99.

4. Tim Edwards

I am in total agreement here. It does tire me when people keep on going ON about the early stuff - yes much of it is great but the real head blowers were mid 70s - then after that it sorta came and went /got patchy. The remasters series are clearly not about greatest hits, just the originals remastered.

Sherwood SST and bleachershane like this.
  5. Tim Edwards

I am considering investing in a proxy as the hoik in prices when you shift to UK £ sites is shameless (as in more like £55 which equals what $65-70)

6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Nice that they're doing that one as an individual, i've already got the Rhino Court & Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns.
    Not over the moon about the next box being Optimal, but oh well.

7. Monophonic9

Monophonic9 Forum Resident

I hope this will cheer you up, including others who were disappointed by the re-release of remastered Song to a Seagull tracks. This is a newly restored mix of I Had a King from Song to a Seagull, which sounds better imo, keen to hear what others think of it :)

8. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Interesting, I'm assuming you've done a bit of demixing or re-eq'ing from the original stereo mix?

9. Monophonic9

Yes, and a tad bit of noise reduction without audibly degrading the listening experience

bleachershane likes this.
  10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Why release only For the Roses as a stand-alone from this next set? Very odd.

I pre-ordered the Blue stand-alone release. My copy from the Reprise box set is off center on Side 1, as was its attempted replacement copy. Oddly, my Hoffman-Gray cut of Blue is also off-center on Side 1.

11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Does anyone know the release dates for future releases?

12. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

In the latest Uncut they announced the next rareties box set in spring 2023

Rob Hughes, englishbob and Porkpie like this.
  13. Komakino___

Komakino___ It's tiring, roaming these halls...

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask however didn't want to create a new thread, but are the remasters so far on CD (I know this particular box isn't out yet) a vast improvement or would I be ok getting the 10cd boxset issued some time ago as I own nothing by Joni on CD, also sorry if this has been asked before.

14. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

The box set of 10 years ago has a mixture of non-HDCD CDs that are similar to, but not always the same as the original CDs and the more recent HDCD masters. You’ll find a thread on the old box set that describes which of these are the HDCD masters. Personally I try to avoid the HDCDs as these discs are peak limited but other folk like them. I like the non-HDCDs in this box set.

The new box CDs sound good other than for the first album where an attempt to improve it has had the opposite effect.

Consequently I listen to a combination of the 2 boxes depending on the album in question.

15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Is this being pressed by RTI?

And who is mastering?

teag likes this.
  16. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Bernie Grundman mastering

brimuchmuze, aseriesofsneaks and teag like this.
  17. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Pressed at RTI or imported from EU?

18. Monophonic9

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Shipped! Arriving tomorrow :thumbsup:

20. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

That's good to hear. Hoping I see the same thing in my inbox today!

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Mine arrived yesterday. Sound is very good. Unfortunately, although the vinyl all looks beautiful, my Court and Spark is riddled with nonfill. I’ll be looking for a replacement for at least that disc. I haven’t made it to the rest yet.

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

There is a Rhino vinyl release of For the Roses scheduled for October 28. Could this be the same remaster as the box set version?

23. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Any word on if this will be AAA?

24. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Man, I haven't even gotten a shipping notice while others have already gotten theirs. I guess Alaska is the last in line!

25. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Amazon has the CD set on sale (20% off). I just ordered it from them for a release day delivery (tomorrow as I type this). Looking forward to getting this. Probably won't be able to dive in until Monday.