Rubellan Remasters Hype/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erick Haight, May 11, 2022.

1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I was excited to visit the Rubellan site and see that the Missing Persons Rhyme and Reason cd was back in stock - instant purchase - kaching!

Always loved that album, purchased the original vinyl right at release. I was so floored by how great the Rubellan cd of their debut album sounded I suspect I’m in for a real treat!

Maybe already covered and I missed it but is there any potential to get cd remasters of the Split Enz albums True Colors and Waiata? The hits album is nice but those albums are both so great - especially Waiata, not a weak track. “Walking Through the Ruins” is one of the truly essential Split Enz tracks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Fantastic news Scott!

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Will that be three albums released on CD and LP, one sole LP and one triple LP?
    Or eight unique albums?
    I like to guess but I have no idea.

4. Dazbuff

Dazbuff Forum Resident

Hey Scott can you give us initials of the band like hopefully MWH!

5. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I would buy those in a heartbeat

bluedemon25 and Dazbuff like this.
  6. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

That's how I felt about it: too much techno-sounding stuff that could've been done by anyone. I obviously wasn't expecting a carbon copy of their classic debut, but I was at least hoping for a little more personality, if that makes sense.

Anyhow, back on topic: I'm super curious to hear what Scott's got next in the pipeline!

RevUp64 and longdist01 like this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I would personally add Time and Tide, which is my absolute favorite Split Enz album.

DrJ, RevUp64, shadowlizard and 2 others like this.
  8. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

The band's favorite also, if I'm not mistaken!

DrJ, Pavol Stromcek and longdist01 like this.
  9. CD Addict

CD Addict Bonus tracks? Yes, please.

Huge anticipation here Scott and such great news about those recent CD clearances. Lots of speculation about Split Enz (which would be fantastic) but I'm wondering if these might be for an artist you haven't yet worked with. Possibly a previously declined request that's now been approved (I know this is a stretch- but The Fixx, Big Audio Dynamite, Wall of Voodoo...).

jamesc, DrJ and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Me too

11. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

That’s also a really good one. I’d buy any of them. The one that’s the hardest (at least for me) to find on cd is Frenzy. In fact I haven’t found that cd yet, but I do have a vinyl copy.

DrJ and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  12. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

The clearances are not for Split Enz, although I do have some requests sitting in the final clearance queue. And to be honest, I didn't even request True Colours. It's been reissued many times and just last year on a 'remixed' edition on CD and across multiple color vinyl options. And there's really no bonus tracks for it. The one included on the last ear-splitting remaster is not on the master list I have because I don't think it was released outside of Australia/New Zealand. I do have master transfers for a number of the albums since I re-compiled my LP comp from individual album masters, and let me tell you that comparing those to the last remasters is night and day. The way brickwalling dulls the drums into mush is so evident when you compare it next to a dynamic source. But, some people love their volume over quality.

I figured people would have a pretty good idea who the artist is, and I think some do. It is an artist I've already released, has done well for me, and I'm moving deeper into the catalog. For the triple LP, I'm waiting for pricing on a tri-fold gatefold sleeve and a custom wide-spine sleeve for three LP's and a fold over insert. Price will determine which layout.

Everything is paid, contracts are making the final rounds, and masters have been requested. I've been working on the artwork and ordering other pieces so I can include more detailed artwork. It's going to be a big project and I'm still waiting to hear a new quote from my current vinyl manufacturer. Speaking of, the new manufacturer only does automatic presses so it limits the color design options. I've done further research on manufacturers and I was disappointed to find that just about any that do the variety of colors and designs as my previous manufacturer are all somehow affiliated with the dreaded GZ Media. Ugh, they are everywhere. I wasn't kidding when I used the term 'fast food' to describe them. In my searching, I've continued to read such poor reviews of them and their affiliates. I think those 'industry guidelines' they hide behind are of their own making. I really hope next year will open more vinyl options and reduce wait times.

The Missing Persons LP repress is arriving tomorrow. Think good thoughts because if it's goofed in any way, I'm going to be very tempted to hop in the car and take a trip over the border. I've powered through all of the Split Enz pre-orders and most of the CD repress orders in anticipation of finally getting those MP LP orders processed and out the door. Then it will be time to focus completely on the upcoming eight releases. I'm hoping the CD's will make it to a November release, but we'll see how swiftly things move.

hutchguv, jamesc, DrJ and 12 others like this.
  13. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Will the new releases be just what I needed?
    What I nee-ded?

bluedemon25 likes this.
  14. tonylevin'ssuitcase

tonylevin'ssuitcase Forum Resident

Thanks, Scott. I agree it's pretty clear what the new releases will be and am looking forward to them. My realtime interested in the artist/band dropped off about the same time as your current releases cover. Looking forward to exploring the rest of the catalog with your remasters.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Dazbuff

Dazbuff Forum Resident

So Scott,
    Let’s say you get a few more clearances in the next few weeks….you pretty much work on a first cleared basis? Do your clearance titles all have a three year clearance clause?

16. Scott Davies

If you're meaning The Cars, those are owned by Warner and I guarantee not available for third party licensing. If you mean Ric solo, his second solo album has been in the final clearance queue for a long time.

17. Scott Davies

Yes, I would work on them based on when I receive them. And yes, three years is the standard. But I highly doubt there will be another clearance for some time. I had a brief exchange with my primary contact regarding this artist and how the timeliness would be great to coincide with something they are doing in late October. That, along with me stating I hadn't received a clearance (baring the TPE mess) in six months, I was hoping it would resonate. He said he'd see about getting them moved around in the queue, and voila. If it weren't for his occasional efforts to step in and offer a nudge to the final clearance person, I wonder if I'd ever get a clearance. On the occasions I do get a response from my primary contact, he's always been very polite. And though I certainly don't want to take advantage of his authority, he has been a great help on multiple occasions to finally get something looked at and cleared. And now that they've seen I can take on this amount of clearances at once and still get them their advances within a couple of days, my hope is they realize I'm very serious about the requests I've submitted.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, I really wanted to like it but it's so....average. I just don't like the modern style of arrangement and production. Not to mention the rather boring style of songwriting that's taken hold of even the 80s artists.

EG.

19. ramonesfan

ramonesfan Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear more about the new clearances, Scott! Until then, I shall wait patiently and simply hope that, when all is said and done, we have made it alive to the dark at the end of the tunnel before we say farewell.

20. stoneage romeo

stoneage romeo Forum Resident

Hopefully, Scott will help us to not feel so low about ourselves when he is finally announce these releases!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. Dazbuff

Dazbuff Forum Resident

If anyone has paid attention, Scott said a certain member is going to perform in late October …he said this guy by name…..then in his response to my earlier question he confirms this artist is doing something in October around Halloween. Real simple if you go back and read the thread. Not really a guess as to what clearance he has. It’s the reason he had a few cds repressed. Taa Daa ! Btw love the dark tunnel thing! Haha

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  22. Dazbuff

Dazbuff Forum Resident

I only wish that one day he gets clearance for the band that lets us dance if we want to even if we have to leave our friends behind! Lol !

23. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I'm just wishing for the thing I want most!

24. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

I know this is probably wishful thinking but I hope beyond hope that the aforementioned 3 album set is "Farewell" by Oingo Boingo.

25. Scott Davies

Regarding some of the earlier responses, Men Without Hats and The Fixx have both been denied in the past. I apparently just missed The Fixx boat because a blue LP of Reach The Beach was licensed a couple of years ago, and when I got my denials I saw they had started going through the clearance process before it hit a roadblock. Rumors have been the band are getting the rights back to their catalog and/or there's going to be an expansive release on that fruit flavored label, which means expect it to be sourced from 35 year old CD's and dirty records played back with a ballpoint stylus. Yay!

Men Without Hats is also rumored to be due to band issues, either the contentious relations between Ivan and Stefan and/or the same thing about rights reversion. Can't say for sure but I'm not allowed to do it.

And regarding PPM's not so subtle hint to Torch Song, as you know those have been the bane of my existence for 5 years now, and the requests are still in (for the third time). But with the likely limited sales potential and the fact that without Orbit having any interest, thus not being allowed to add any bonus material, it's no longer a top priority. I mean, if they come through as the bare bones reissues, I'll do them and think maybe I'll at least make back my investment but I'm not hopping up and down about it anymore.