David Bowie - New Live/Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EfWe, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'll be seeing this in about 15 minutes at the AMC Town Center.

Chrome_Head and longdist01 like this.
  2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I definitely picked up on that vibe in the trailer.

supernaut and fluxkit like this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Too much music.... I just started the Little Feat Columbus DE, then this came out & I found what is said to be a major upgrade of Pennebaker's mix of the Ziggy movie.

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

?? Grey market?

5. moomoomoomoo

Board on the net that allows links to free dl's.

TonyCzar likes this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Huh?

footprintsinthesand and CBackley like this.
  7. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

Having listened to the live version of Rock 'n' Roll With Me from the soundtrack, I think it would be criminal for them to not release the full live album.

jhm and Fabrice Outside like this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

Just starting the soundtrack. Freecloud/Dudes sounds awesome. Definitely a remaster at minimum, likely a remix. If they've got this kind of mix & sound prepared for Hammersmith, PLEASE release it as a stand alone & DON'T ADD BRICKWALLING!!!!!!

9. PES

PES Forum Resident

Just finished seeing it. In Imax of all things. Absolutely delightful, with the performance clips on a number of songs almost being full length. Yes, it was quite surprising to see the Jeff Beck segment from the Hammersmith concert. They even managed to find a few grainy video shots from the '76 Isobar tour. The '78 tour footage is immaculate and makes me want to see a complete concert from that year. Well worth seeing in a theater if you get the chance.

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Just saw this in Imax, and I was blown away. I haven't read through the thread, but anyone who was disappointed is clearly not a fan of art. This was an art film through and through. I loved how there were zero talking heads, all archival or stock footage. Most of it seemed unseen. I will watch this again.

supernaut, Davido, Tanx and 8 others like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We saw Moonage Daydream and we really enjoyed it. It's definitely not a straight Bowie documentary, but it seems to me we've had at least four or five of those within the last few years. It was more of a fantasia/meditation on his life and work. There is a sequence showing a lot of Bowie's paintings which I hadn't seen before, and he was a really good artist.

There's a sequence towards the end that would be a problem for photosensitive people.

enro99 and longdist01 like this.
  12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

The unreleased version of "Rock'n'Roll with Me" is nice to hear. Sounds like they have done their best with a slightly sub-par tape, and Earl Slick's guitar is low in the mix, but nice vocal performance.

13. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Did you enjoy it?

14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have not heard the soundtrack version yet but is it significantly better or different to the version on I'm Only Dancing?

I am all for any additional live concerts being released but since they released I'm Only Dancing I have been happy that they covered all the different stages of the 1974 tour across the 3 live albums that we have had.

My holy grail of course would be decent video footage of a full concert from the tour.

Azorbz and Fabrice Outside like this.
  15. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

It's true that the movie doesn't have much that is new for real fans. But then, if you're not a fan, the movie is definitely not for you. Even I could barely stand all the audio-only interview excerpts. I would have included more music and less talk.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  16. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Listening to the soundtrack as a type. Immediately added Jean Genie/Love Me Do to my permanent Bowie playlist.
    Watching the movie in the evening.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

These new takes on Sound and Vision and New Career are a really fun listen. I will try and compare R'n'R w Me with the John... release.

Edgard Varese likes this.
  18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I would say the I'm Only Dancing recording is drier. It sounds more like an unfutzed tape. The MD soundtrack version they've tried to make sound more like it's happening in the hall. Bowie is definitely in better voice. The BVs are more upfront. There are a couple of points where the whole mix skews for a second around 1:42. I wonder if it's a warp in the tape. I think I prefer this version.

Bink, Fabrice Outside and Azorbz like this.
  19. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

TonyCzar and Resroc62 like this.
  20. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Saw film last nite. Slept on it to compress my thoughts…it’s a mess. Needs a total rewrite. Telling us it’s approved by Bowie family is a way to flick off these criticisms. I understand there are other Bowie docs but there is no context to what you are viewing. Footage is remarkable and audio is fantastic. Maybe the best sounding rock film I have heard.and way too long.

Robotlove, jfeldt and Fabrice Outside like this.
  21. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

It is hard for me to say which is better because they have different strengths. I'm Only Dancing is one of my favourite albums, but I'll admit that the vocals aren't brilliant on Rock 'n' Roll With Me (they're still good though). In comparison, I think the Buffalo performance has a stronger vocal performance. That being said, it seems to me that the source of the track was of lower quality than that of the I'm Only Dancing source. They've done a great job with it though, but you can tell that the source isn't perfect.

I personally prefer the Buffalo one, but I don't necessarily think it is because it is objectively better. They're different enough for me to think that the full show should be released, but others might disagree. Looking at the setlist for the entire Buffalo show, it isn't too different from what appeared on I'm Only Dancing, however that doesn't put me off. From my experience of the Diamond Dogs tour (from bootlegs), each performance is different enough, even from the same stage of the tour, to make me want a full release. The other thing is that they have done an excellent job with what was there so, knowing that they might have the full show, if they were to not release it, I think it would be a disappointment.

Who could say no to another official release of Footstompin'?

pobbard, Bink and Fabrice Outside like this.
  22. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

How does Sound and Vision differ from the original version?

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Bass starts it, then a guitar, then drums, Different lyrics (that's the colour of my living room), different mix (honkytonk piano way up in places), less electronic, no female BVs, sounds like a rough mix of an early take or something, lots of harmonica towards the end. Reminds me of TVC15 in some ways. Fascinating. The harmonica is reminiscent of A New Career.... which it segues into.

TeddyB, Resroc62 and Azorbz like this.
  24. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

does anyone know where the live tracks are from? if they are previously unreleased? on the digital download i bought four of them are just labeled Live/Stereo.

25. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud, All They Young Dudes, Oh! You Pretty Things, Moonage Daydream, and I believe Rock 'n' Roll Suicide are from Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture, the The Jean Genie / Love Me Do is also from The Motion Picture show, but is previously unreleased. Let's Dance is from Serious Moonlight. Warzawa is either from Stage or Welcome To The Blackout (I haven't checked). Rock 'n' Roll With Me is from an unreleased show in Buffalo on the Diamond Dogs tour. I think "Heroes" is from Welcome To The Blackout, but I could be wrong. I think Hallo Spaceboy is from No Trendy Réchauffé, but once again, I'm not sure.

damien, audiotom and Justin Brooks like this.