The Doors 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pats Radio, Jan 20, 2022.

1. somebodynothing1000

somebodynothing1000 Forum Resident

Im going to admit that i like that cover. the london fog too for that matter. Miles better than having another cover of jimbo posing like some proto-Zoolander model, which i find hard to stomach as the time goes by.

2. Well, it was no ‘Tuning’ I’ll give you that.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

[​IMG]

Wish the photos with Albert were included, even as a back cover. Vancouver CD has a different shot on the back cover.

4. somebodynothing1000

On the subject of Ray's vocals, i agree that he was terrible but there are times where Jim could be as bad (or worse) as Ray.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I’ll take bad Jim over any aspect of ray as vocalist

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The best Ray vocal on tape is the b-side version of You Need Meat, yet an inferior outtake from The Soft Parade box set is being issued on this upcoming collection.

Anthrax, Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

It might not have gone unnoticed that The Doors were one of the first white bands to see to it that blues artists made more money (royalties, support slots, etc.).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

What's not to like when Screaming Ray Daniels takes the mike for some good old blues standard ? *sarcasm*

masswriter likes this.
  9. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

In that regard, makes sense that Jim was close friends with Canned Heat ... probably THE band that gave blues old timers a second life

hophedd and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

This. I believe Bowie began archiving his costumes and such early on but a lot of the other cataloging of his career came much later on. The Doors or any band in 1971 had no idea they would still have commercial appeal 50 years down the road or that outtakes, demos, incomplete works or concert films would be of interest. Making a career in a rock band was a pretty new concept in 1971.

khanrahan and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

True, but once they spotted the commercial value, they could have started gathering recordings (probably on the cheap in those days) ... which would have made their catalogue a lot more impressive ... just my opinion ...

marklamb and blastfurniss like this.
  12. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

No, I don’t disagree. As someone mentioned upthread, having four members probably made it tougher to come to agreement on the business. Factor in the Courson and Morrison estates, both known for being difficult and I can see why the other three may have elected to not bother with it.

13. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

It's a nice thought, but I'm not sure that it can be proven by fans like you and me that those blues artists ever made more money because of specific actions taken by the Doors.

On the original albums, I am only aware of them recording two blues songs credited to classic artists, "Back Door Man" and "Crawling King Snake". There are also a tiny handful of other blues songs that turned up on later reissues and compilations. The Doors wrote most of their own material.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Ahsogoodtogether

Ahsogoodtogether Forum Resident

There was a 1961 movie called PARIS BLUES. I wonder if the song was named after it.

15. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Starring Paul Newman. And no I doubt it. Jim had it on his mind…

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i would think peter greens fleetwood mac helped the blues artists earn a pretty penny

17. There were The Rolling Stones, The Pretty Things, The Yardbirds, The Animals… all before The Doors.

Anthrax and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. somebodynothing1000

i never said ray was a good vocalist.

When jim is good, he is very good. but when he is bad, he is VERY bad.

DJ LX and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

And later Led Z..... Never mind

signothetimes53 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

I recall a paperback novel I picked up from a used book stall back sometime in the mid-1970's.
    Maybe Jim came across the same novel in his literary rambles, wouldn't surprise me really.
    Just searched for it on Amazon and I'm pretty sure this is the one:

"Paris Blues was written by Harold Flender and originally published in 1957.

The book tells the story of Eddie Cook, an African American jazz musician living and working in Paris in the 1950s. The author draws on the historical reality that throughout much of the 20th century, many African American artists, writers, and musicians emigrated to Paris, where they found the personal and creative freedom denied them back home.

In addition, jazz musicians discovered that their artistry was more highly valued and appreciated in Europe than in the United States. Miles Davis said that his time living and working in Paris was life-altering. “It changed the way I looked at things forever. Paris was where I noticed that not all white people were prejudiced.”

Shawn, maui jim, marklamb and 4 others like this.
  21. anytimecowboy

anytimecowboy Groovy

I've always understood that the title simply came from Danny listing it in his complete lyrics book in 1991, which was removed on second printing. Although I guess rumors maybe existed prior to that,

The lyrics don't contain the term 'Paris' at all , at least not the transcription in Danny's book or the doors app, they do refer to ' the city of Love'. I wonder if we will see a scan of the cassette and if someone wrote 'Paris Blues' on it ? Thus the source of the title and rumor.
    It is also worth considering if the song is so bad why were there at least 3 cassette copies of it made for each band member? There must have been some value in it. Was there anything else on that cassette?

As for cinemathique, Im glad to finally hear some more of that tape but goddam why do they have to cut it up, They could at least also include BMAW and BDM since its a blues comp but really it pisses me of that they are supposed to care about Jim's poetic legacy but cant treat his only known recorded recital with due care. It remains buried since 1969, its appalling, it should have been included in the labyrinth set at the very least.

jeremylr, Kat Records, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Same. I find Ray's vocals absolutely cringe-worthy. I'll take Jim Morrison stinking up the place any day over Ray's best effort.

Anthrax, Sean7777, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  23. anytimecowboy

anytimecowboy Groovy

here at 03:37 Ray says they have it, in 1999 (Dirty Roadhouse blues )

milankey, Kat Records, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  24. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Ray catches a lot of **** here but he really was a great story teller. I've heard that New Haven story dozens of times but I was still captivated by every one of his words.

905, marklamb, BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  25. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I met him in Lowell, Mass. This is true ... but storytelling and playing piano/organ were his strong suits. Singing, no...