'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The Tone Poet Blue Train (strero and mono) is also available for download at a good price.

rcsrich likes this.
  2. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Same mastering? Where?

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Still waiting for my Coltrane LPs Mono/Stereo to ship from Udiscover.com, but I did receive the SHM-SACDs today from CDJapan. I have to assume the SACDs are mastered by Kevin Gray. The Mono SACD just has the back cover liner notes from the LP. So it states - LP Supervision by Joe Harley; LP Mastering by Kevin Gray, Cohearent Audio.

Meanwhile, the Stereo SACD does indicate "The Complete Masters" - but instead of mirroring the LP back cover, this SACD states - CD Supervision by Joe Harley; CD Mastering by Kevin Gray, Cohearent Audio.

The Stereo SACD has what I assume are the same liner notes by Ashley Kahn that must come with the LP, but all the other inserts are in Japanese so I have no idea what they say.

I guess I won't see the LPs until late next week.

4. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

My mono Blue Train has arrived at the roundhouse.

Lamus and Prophetzong like this.
  5. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

So my Blue Train stereo arrived from Amazon today. The album cover is ever so slightly creased in the top right hand corner. I went on to Amazon chat. The guy said I could either return it and get a replacement or he could offer me £27 partial refund. I’ve accepted the refund. The crease bugs me slightly but I’ll use the money to get the Mono. Originally I said I’d only get the stereo as I have the Music Matters mono but I’m reading reports that the new mono sounds even better.

Swann36, Lamus, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  6. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Another related question- those who’ve ordered off Amazon and taken delivery- are you also getting links for the mp3 downloads? I received links for the Ornette Coleman box & Trio ‘65…nice easy solution for car listening.

bgod and fndrblndr like this.
  7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

superstar19, PATB and rcsrich like this.
  8. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Dang- I’d let someone put a slight crease in my gatefold for £27! Wait…that just sounds dirty…

9. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Both the stereo and mono arrived this morning. Listening to the stereo now and it is fantastic. I do have the AP 45rpm stereo and quite frankly, I don't see myself listening to it much going forward. This is a more natural sequence listening sequence, and I say this as someone who has lots of 45rpm titles. The bonus disc with the false start and alternate takes is like icing on the cake. Get this now is you want a stereo version. This is it!

[​IMG]

10. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Does anyone know where I can stream the upcoming Kenny Burrell? Its not on the main streaming services it seems?

VinylCountdown and ztroika like this.
  11. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

Can't stop looking at your collection! Love that setup. Where is the storage piece from if you don't mind me asking.

12. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

I don't see Blue Train in my Amazon Music library. I don't have Trio 65, either.

Where do you usually get the download links via email or in the app?

13. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Look for the compilation, Introducing Kenny Burrell: The First Blue Note Sessions. I know it's available on Tidal and should be streaming elsewhere too.

Trifonius and VinylCountdown like this.
  14. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

The shelving is the MD-300 from Music Direct. They stopped making it like a decade or so again unfortunately. I had several MD-150 (smaller variant of the MD-300) and a friend and fellow forum member was selling his MD-300s below because he moved on to custom shelving. I jumped at the opportunity. It's a shame that Music Direct stopped making these. All wood and steel made in the US, with wheels to boot!

[​IMG]

15. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I think it was via an emailed link IIRC, but if you log into your account, it should show up in your library too I believe. Mine do.

fndrblndr likes this.
  16. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

Ok, am I crazy but is the track listing on the back side of the Stereo pressing off? I assume it wasn't like this on the OG pressings? Or maybe it was? LOL.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

RiRiIII likes this.
  18. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Blue Train: The Complete Masters, which includes the mono, is available on streaming services in high res. So I will listen to it on Apple Music as I wait for the udiscover order that was shipped today.

Freddie Freeloader likes this.
  19. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The new Blue Train remaster stereo, alternate takes, and mono, are available as 24/96 on Qobuz. Thanks BN!

Freddie Freeloader and Mr. Dean like this.
  20. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

WOW. Tone Poet Blue train mono is a winner. Just received it today. Previously had a stereo McMasters cd. Guess I won’t be playing that much anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    Chandler Dickson, mktracy and rcsrich like this.
  21. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Sold out on UDiscover already. I've got both coming in - package should be here next week. Around the same time my AS Bill Evans box set arrives. All that stuff I ordered months ago is arriving on the same day, apparently.

Swordsandchains and mktracy like this.
  22. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

If you search for "Kenny Burrell 1543" it might come up; I see it on YT and I think Amazon Music too. There's technically two albums called "Kenny Burrell"; one on Prestige too, but 1543 should point to the right one ;)

Trifonius likes this.
  23. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

Spinning the Mono now. Very nice indeed. I've only got as far as the title track but this is as good as I'd expected it to be. I've been waiting for a Tone Poet that I was already well familiar with because I've always felt that the Classic Records Blue Notes had a 'house sound' and I wanted to hear what another top tier master sounded like on material where I'd heard several other cuts. I think I'm right. Something about the cymbals. Assuming this has no pressing faults, it's a winner to my ears.

Eamon, Jasonbraswell, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  24. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I’m no psychic, but I foresee a rash of various Blue Train pressings popping up in the forum classifieds in the near future…;)

25. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

My question now is.........do I sell my Music Matters?