The Doors 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pats Radio, Jan 20, 2022.

1. somebodynothing1000

somebodynothing1000 Forum Resident

His "storytelling" started to wear thin as the years passed by. I mean how many times we had to hear "Dionysus", "Shaman", "Aquarian age", "Dark irish drunk Jimbo", "We have to talk about LSD", "right there at miami, men" etc.....

He promoted the morrison myth to such an extent that a lot of people think that jim alone was the doors, which obviously is not true. They needed each other.

tedg65, Karate Chop, jeremylr and 4 others like this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Well, when everyone dunks on you for anything you do outside of playing keyboards in that one band, you learn pretty quick what everyone wants to hear about, and when it covers less than a decade of your life, things get a little repetitive. It happens.

WMTC, Six Bachelors and D-rock like this.
  3. somebodynothing1000

Thats why i prefer watching an interview with robby krieger. I mean, the three of them (him, ray and john) did delve on the "lizard king" to various degrees, but i remember times where robby had enough and clarified a lot of things that he gets throwned at. Too bad he's too laid back to be morw upfront.

4. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

"let's reinvent the gods, all the myths of the ages" Ray, create the myth, sure he was an storyteller, he knew his business and meanwhile kept the doors alive

D-rock likes this.
  5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I have heard he does a lot of that in his book, at least.

Shawn likes this.
  6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I like Rays solo albums.

7. somebodynothing1000

Alive in skateboards and sneakers. The "Myth" got boring and turned jim into a clown and the doors into laughing stocks.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  8. Kat Records

that's true but the management made onesies, sneakers, etc and all doors agreed that, not ray's fault. remember robby on that skateboard?

[​IMG]

9. somebodynothing1000

Skateboard trough to the boardwalk side.

Kat Records and Shawn like this.
  10. Benny S

Benny S Felt Forum Resident

Paris snooze.

rockclassics likes this.
  11. anytimecowboy

anytimecowboy Groovy

Paris booze

12. somebodynothing1000

Paris sproose goose

13. Sean7777

Sean7777 Forum Resident

I would take Robbie singing over any aspect of Ray as vocalist (see Runnin' Blue from Soft Parade)

tedg65, Shawn and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It occurred to me that had the Doors included Paris Blues in whatever 50th set it pertains to (I admit I thought it was a LA Woman outtake but some of you guys say it's not) that set would surely have sold more physical copies than it did without Paris Blues. Could they have done better financially than they will when they print this incoherent mishmash of a RSD release?

I agree. I think people conflate his story telling with his skills as a historian. I think he was good at sculpting actual events into a dramatic account, with plenty of poetic licence. He was very entertaining in just about every interview with him that I have watched, listened to or read. Compare him with Robby being interviewed - he is like your friend's awkward older brother who spends most of his time by himself. However if I had to refer to Ray's book or Robby's book as a Doors historical reference, I'd pick Robby's...

...and I haven't even read it.

Translucent Blues is really cool.

15. Kat Records

the suggested price of the RSD release is 28.99; the LAW box was between 50 - 60 USD (Soft parade was cheaper), so for sure they have more profit in that way

btw agreed with Translucent blues, is very cool

16. anytimecowboy

anytimecowboy Groovy

Robby's first solo album was good unfortunately its never been reissued

jeremylr, marklamb and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. anytimecowboy

anytimecowboy Groovy

Jim's ancestors were Scottish. I think im definitely related because im often drunk

18. anytimecowboy

anytimecowboy Groovy

Robby Krieger - Robby Krieger

I meant this one, the self titled one from 1985

RAZORMADE, Matthew Tate and khanrahan like this.
  19. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

I've never listened to that. I'll have to hunt it down!

I quite enjoy "The Piano Poems: Live From San Francisco" with Ray and Michael McClure. I bought it on a whim years ago from their site and it was a surprising joy. It took me a few plays to get over the beat poetry vibe - something I found pretty cringe inducing. However once I got over myself, I actually really enjoyed it! I've tried to get friends into it but they found the album embarrassing. Not for everyone - but it does grow on you!!!

Ray Manzarek / Michael McClure - The Piano Poems: Live From San Francisco

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

I really like Robby's Paris Blues painting and would purchase a signed print from the site if that was an option. It's like looking up at the Eiffel Tower from the body to the neck of the fretboard of a guitar.

21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Surely this isn't some kind of promo with the audio from the official release?

marklamb likes this.
  22. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

Unofficial

23. anytimecowboy

anytimecowboy Groovy

No they weren't thoughtful enough to put back door man on the blues compilation. Just 2 songs is enough, who wants to hear a complete tape when you can chop it up. Hopefully they have added motorbikes too

24. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

If that is the sound quality of the RSD release, they better warn people up front that quality "might not be perfect" ... otherwise there will be a flood of unhappy buyers

marklamb likes this.
  25. Karate Chop

Karate Chop Forum Resident

Skate on through to the other side

ronbow, supermd and Kat Records like this.