'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

This. I had the DMM JuJu for a long time until I ran across a really good deal on the MMJ. They are close tbh. The DMM even has a better resolution cover. It is a great bargain if you find them in the wild. I think I paid $20 for my old copy

mktracy, ShamPain, YouCantWin and 2 others like this.
  2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

This one: Wayne Shorter - Juju

I’ll add that I had a 70s RVG repress that had to go back- I needle dropped the title track and compared and the DMM was not far off from an EQ perspective.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    YouCantWin likes this.
  3. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

I don’t own the MMJ but I have the DMM of Juju from the 80’s and I am quite happy with it. To be honest the small handful of jazz DMM’s I own are all perfectly listenable to my ears without sounding too bright and they’re usually fairly economical compared to “better” versions.

CalaveraJ, rcsrich and YouCantWin like this.
  4. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

My DMM of The Jazz Messengers' Indestructible! is excellent and very close to the BNC, to my high frequency-compromised ears.

PATB and rcsrich like this.
  5. Vibrolux_Reverb

I remember thinking the MMJ was going to smoke the DMM, got it, and was a little taken back at how close they were. The MMJ is slightly better sounding, but the biggest upgrade was the session photos. People say the DMMs aren’t that good, but I strongly disagree. I have heard others that beat out the early 70s represses as well and sound very good.

6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They didn’t refer to his notes. Fresh cut with fresh ears.

Kimiimacman, mktracy and Dai like this.
  7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have now stopped going after these $100 to $150 records for the most part. Still want "Electric Ladyland" when Chad does it as well as the MoFi of Bitches Brew and CSN. I enjoy Steely Dan except for Aja and their later day releases, but $150 plus tax and shipping, just can't justify that kind of spend. My originals and Japanese mini disc box serve me just fine.

Was raving (not me) to Joe about these new Blue Trains being the best Tone Poets yet as well as the job Kevin did on "Super Fly" and his response was...Kevin's dealing these days, clearly at the top of his game! When I'm getting records that sound like BT for $36 and $49 (2-LP set), I sit and scratch my head as well at paying those high dollar prices. Not saying they don't sound great, but if you ordered all of those Steely Dan records, that's over a $1000 dollars.

8. pianomaniac

pianomaniac Forum Resident

After spinning the "Blue Train"-Stereo for the first time (Mono coming also) I just counted my Tone Poets (21, regarding the Ornette-Coleman-Box as a single) and realized that I need 'em all. :) Is there a printable list somewhere? Also looking for a (printable) list of Blue Note Classics. Links would be highly appreciated!

Jam757 likes this.
  9. haynk

haynk Forum Resident

i hear you, scotti!! ...but SD is an exception for me. over the years my musical tastes and preferences have changed/evolved quite a bit, with the exception of SD which i keep circling back to again and again and again.

back in the day, i bought all their titles some of which were OGs -- unfortunately, when i went away to college all my LPs got stored in the attic!! when i found this out 15 or so years later it was too late as years of summer heat pretty much destroyed everything. so cost be damned, i simply cannot pass up this opportunity to get these again as AAA LPs ...and cannot wait for the standard AP 2x45s. its a huge expense but these will get a lot of play on my TT.

i am sure we all have artists / titles that we enjoy so much that we are willing to go that extra mile for -- SD is one of those for me.

back TPs ...just waiting for stick-up! and bring it home to me to go up for pre-order (as well as the point of departure BNC) !!

Jeffrey Weiss, bajaed and scotti like this.
  10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I’ve got them previously from Discogs, under BN TP and Classic headings. The BN News releases on upcoming releases have I think also listed previous ones.

pianomaniac likes this.
  11. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Further to my observation about the track that’s missing I’ve just noticed another blunder on the stereo jacket; Locomotion is shown as side 1 track 3 and not Side 2 track 1, duh!

Also of interest to some perhaps is that the beautiful inside left photo from which the cover is created is the same as on the mmj33 but for some reason Alfred has been blacked out and thus not credited as he is on the TP.

Anyway, I’ve for fun, swapped out my lovely 1980 vintage, silver-coil wound (world’s first ever) Fidelity Research FR1-mk3f for my Dynavector DRT-XV-1t and played the stereo TP. Wow!

There may be a part 2 review in the making:edthumbs:

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  12. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Blue Note Tone Poet Series
    Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I totally respect what you are saying. If these were the Zeppelin titles, then I would be getting them all done the UHQR way. And that's with me owning quite a collection already. The one title that I might go after is "The Royal Scam" which is my favorite by them. I would want that just to hear what "Don't Take Me Alive" sounds like.

Well its time to focus on the next four titles from this series, Green, Burrell, Hutcherson, and Vick. So cool to think we will be closing in on 100 titles by later next year. How cool is that! Some wise people wrote "What a long, strange trip it's been". You can't tell me it has not gotten a bit strange here at times...ha!

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I just can’t do it…I guess it kicks me out of the true audiophile category, but when a pressing goes much north of $100, I just can’t justify the cost. I wasn’t into jazz at the same level when the MMJ titles originally cane out, so now that they’re commanding $150 price tags and up for the 33s, it’s just a no-go. And I’m not really a 45 guy…

CalaveraJ, mktracy, scotti and 2 others like this.
  15. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

MisterBritt likes this.
  16. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I'll use this mention of Juju to once again lobby for this title to be reissued. It seems to be more appropriate for the Classics Series than a TP, but regardless it needs to come out and soon! Baffles me why this has not already been released in one or the other series.

rcsrich and Trifonius like this.
  17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Same here except that I never really went after $100-$150 records in the first place, aside from the UHQR KOB. Prices for one-steps, UHQRs, etc are insane IMO and I refuse to pay them. The TP and Classics series, AP jazz series, and certain Rhino releases demonstrate that very high quality records can be produced for reasonable prices.

18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Got through my Stereo copies yesterday and Mono copies this morning. I could own any of the four and be perfectly happy as they’re all excellent but if I had to rank them it’d be:
    1. Music Matters Mono 33
    2. Tone Poet Stereo
    3. Tone Poet Mono
    4. Classic Stereo 33
    The Stereo cuts varied more than the Mono cuts, with the Tone Poet Kevin Gray cut sounding a bit fuller than the Bernie Grundman Classic. There was just a smidge more of a sense of realism in the new reissue, making the Classic sound ever so slightly thinner. The horns had more warmth to their sound, the piano a little more heft and the bass more defined. If I gave the Tone Poet Stereo a 10 I’d give the Classic a 9, they’re not that far off to me on my setup.

The Mono versions were even closer. I found the MM version to be more dynamic than the TP, particularly when played at higher volumes, the Tone Poet seemed a bit compressed, with individual instruments losing some space within the mix, as much of that as you can have on a mono recording as @Kimiimacman mentioned. Again, we’re splitting hairs here and I could live with either gladly. If I gave the Music Matters Mono a 10 I’d give the Tone Poet Mono a 9.5.

The TP stereo, with the extra disc of outtakes was a welcome addition as was the extended liner notes/booklet from Kahn.

I prefer the brighter cover of the MM jacket, otherwise they’re both excellent.

Happy to report both of my Tone Poet copies were flat and played silent. Both represent an excellent value and what I think audiophile reissues should be - great sounding, solid pressings in high quality packaging at a fair price. You can’t go wrong with either.

Bill

Djohm, timzigs, BigDaddyWil and 12 others like this.
  19. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

This 100%. Exactly the same counts for Night Dreamer.

JoFr, rcsrich, sfwya and 1 other person like this.
  20. Vibrolux_Reverb

100%. JuJu is a top 10 Blue Note for me. I would go as far to say that is my favorite Shorter album

21. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Listening to my BN80 Trompeta Toccata right now and it occurs to me that we haven’t seen Kenny Dorham led session as a TP yet.

Perhaps when they’ve released every last recording of Stanley Turrentine including the outtakes of him humming in the shower they might do a TP Kenny title or two.

Or did MMJ release all his sessions negating the possibility?

22. ShamPain

ShamPain Well-Known Member

Shhh, I've been enjoying being able to scoop up DMMs for next to nothing while everybody else is bidding up audiophile pressings that end up having digital steps in the chain anyway!

I'm being a little bit cheeky, as I do like a lot of the AAA stuff. But the DMMs should definitely get more respect.

ausgraeme, Dai, rcsrich and 2 others like this.
  23. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Amen brother!

Prophetzong likes this.
  24. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

+1

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  25. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Over $1000 and how many feet of shelf space? I bet Chad announced 9 in one go just to piss off @Mazzy:)

rcsrich likes this.