The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I did the same for 13-18, 19-24, and I think 25-30. I also waited to buy 31-36 until I realized that they probably weren't going to do a similar bundle, but luckily they hadn't gone out of print yet.

hyde park likes this.
  2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Reported.

US Blues and KeithGodchaux like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That show and the night before were my third and fourth shows seeing the band. Still early in senior year high school, when grades still mattered for college admissions, so my parents only let me go to the weekend night shows. Still, that worked out well out of the five shows in the run…

Mad Dog, LandHorses, mBen989 and 2 others like this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

My newest theory is there are no 'bad' shows that start with Missisippi Half-Step. I've come to believe that's a surefire sign of gold.

(Granted... not that many did start that way...)

5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

You got lucky there! Two sweet shows to have seen.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

9-8-87 and 3-31-91 agree with that theory.

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

8/3/94 Giants Stadium opened with “Mississippi Half Step”……and it’s one of my worst seen Grateful Dead shows.

Crispy Rob, mikestar and US Blues like this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Damn it... I thought I was onto something. :laugh:

Bananas&blow, ARK, Eyes74 and 2 others like this.
  9. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Well... it was 1994.

10. LandHorses

It is one of my favorite Jerry openers.

My 2nd show - 3/27/85 Nassau - they brought it back after a 3 year hiatus.

11. LandHorses

I saw all 5. The 18th and 19th were the best. The 16th is really up there as well…..and had a surprise (for me anyway) small Olatunji opening set.

The 15th and 20th weren’t very memorable.

WaterLemon and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

As does 5/25/77. Extended jams aside, this is my all-time favorite for "just the song". The quiet-down transition into Rio Grandio and all vocals are perfect.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  13. LandHorses

I was at both of these and loved them both.

mikestar and US Blues like this.
  14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

What, you've never peaked for a couple of hours? :angel:

15. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Me too, but I'll often pick them from my server based on my mood. The best Road Trips also present individual discs that make for a great 75 minutes of listening. Often I want to hear a complete set; it's actually rare for me to listen to a complete show from start to finish, even as I make my listening notes for the archival release thread.

But there's no doubt that the best compilations can be a joy to hear. I present Live Dead to any naysayers.

16. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

IWA 9/8/87 (whole run actually) and I concur.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

DiP 12 comes to mind as well as several dozen others.

KCWhistle, Eyes74, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’m not saying the acoustic set from Fillmore East, 20/09/70 is the best acoustic set the Dead ever played, but … the acoustic set from Fillmore East, 20/09/70 is possibly the best acoustic set the Dead ever played.

The electric set ain’t bad, either. Full review—The Grateful Thread

I (Acoustic): Uncle John’s Band, Deep Elem Blues, Friend Of The Devil*, Big Railroad Blues**, Dark Hollow**, Ripple**, To Lay Me Down, Truckin’, Rosalie McFall**, Cumberland Blues, New Speedway Boogie, Brokedown Palace.

II (Electric): Casey Jones, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Candyman, Sittin’ On Top Of The World, Big Boy Pete, Me And My Uncle, Easy Wind, Sugar Magnolia, Attics Of My Life, Mama Tried, Not Fade Away > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > Feedback > And We Bid You Goodnight.

*with David Grisman on mandolin.
    **with David Grisman and David Nelson on mandolin.

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

When the 9/19/70 electric set is released, all will be right with the world.*

* Well no, but it couldn't hurt.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don’t think I’ve heard the 15th or 20th, but I did get a tape of the 16th shortly after the run and it was a good show, although not quite up to the level of the 18th and 19th.

21. US Blues

We are fortunate that this set has been in circulation for so many years, as some of us have been enjoying this for so many years. Better still, the quality of the circulating source has improved over the years, making this a better listen, and allowing more folks to enjoy what may be the best circulating acoustic set by the GD.

Bananas&blow, Crispy Rob and SJR like this.
  22. US Blues

You're not wrong.

23. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I'm starting my trip through June-early July '85 with Hunter Seamons' matrix of 6/21/85 at Alpine Valley. This second set is pretty great. The Estimated jam is really fantastic and Eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin'>Black Peter is an excellent sequence. But, as someone who is less familiar with the late '70s and pretty much an '80s newbie, I have a question: did the transition from Estimated into Eyes ever go smoothly? Estimated is one of my top 5 or 6 Bobby songs and there are few things better than a great Eyes, but those songs have such particular rhythms that even on paper the combination never made much sense to me. And, every time I've heard it, I'm left with the same thought: why?

So, does this pairing actually work and I'm just missing something? Are there really killer versions I should check out?

Eyes74, Matthew Tate and LandHorses like this.
  24. LandHorses

Great that you’re doing Summer 85 - one of the all time great 80s tours.

You should go back and start with the Greek shows before continuing forward.

25. LandHorses

The 15th and 20th are only worth it if you feel like listening to the entire tour in order. Neither show sucks, just nothing notable essential.

Crispy Rob likes this.