How Many LPs is Enough?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theflattire, Sep 20, 2022.

1. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

fair enough. I built a room in my garden, so I know I’m fine. I would be worried about having a significant record collection upstairs in my house though!

2. Anaplian

Anaplian Rise and Reverberate

I have around 1500 CDs. When I got back into vinyl 3 years ago I decided to buy vinyl copies of the CDs which I cared about. There were only around 300 of these. The other 1200 CDs didn't matter to me at all.

I now calculate that based on the list of stuff that I really want my LP collection would grow to around 350. However, I love the sound of vinyl so my collection will grow organically from that point - I estimate that around 1000 LPs would be my upper limit.

theflattire likes this.
  3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Depends on the LPs.

Tim

Big Blue likes this.
  4. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I like a wide variety of music but mainly listen to Jazz, Classical, Rock, Folk, Soul, Blues, Funk and Reggae. I have had more records in my collection than I do now but I think around 4,000 is enough. For me anything over that is where the quality drops off and you have a recording just for the sake of it or to complete an artist. I don't do that anymore.

Having sold off some LPs recently I am at 3,435 which gives me a bit of purchasing room. The vast majority of my collection were purchased new by me and so are in immaculate condition. The used LPs that I have purchased are at least mint minus. It is important not to fill your collection with poor quality stuff just to bulk it out. Every single record I own (some of which I have owned for nearing 40 years) are musically dear to me.

NasuTek and theflattire like this.
  5. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes! I have to be able to physically hold it.

6. Zero. I don't own them, I'm just keeping an eye on them until I'm dead. In which case some one else will keep an eye on them.

oldjollymon and Anaplian like this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Many.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. Touch Too Much ’79

Touch Too Much ’79 Iamtheworldthathidestheuniversalsecretofalltime

Twice as long as half its length :yikes:

Seriously though, how many LPs is enough?
    That’s a real thorny one but a friend of mine reckons he who dies owning the most stuff, wins.

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Why do you ask? Are you my wife?

10. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

You have enough when looking through them you find LP's you forgot you ever bought.

theflattire likes this.
  11. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

If it takes 1 hour on average to pick an album, clean it, listen to it, and put it away, factoring in that a few will be double LPs (or more)

and if you listen to your albums 10 hours a week

That’s 10 albums a week

each year, you could listen to 520 albums once

subtract one for each album you listen to more than once

so maybe 500 albums a year

theflattire likes this.
  12. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

There is no correct answer, it's a personal decision.

Quality is more important than quantity to me and enjoy my collection more when it's nice and tight, I dump the bloat I don't listen to or like anymore.

Think about it, 700 albums and you have enough to listen to two per day for an entire year without repeating, so unless someone has countless hours to listen to music and do nothing else, that is a more than sufficient number, IMO.

Note: I voted 300-600 because my goal is 500-600 CDs.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    theflattire and DK Pete like this.
  13. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I tend to think of it as helping me deal with an addiction so that I continue to live within my means.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ah, sure, I think that could be healthy, but I don’t see that as the spouse being the limitation.

15. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Truth is she is the one that got me into all of this to begin with.

Big Blue likes this.
  16. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Zero for me

Crimson Witch likes this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If the foundation of my house could not bear the weight of some shelves of records, I’d be looking to address that issue for reasons other than just the records…

18. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

As many as fit in one Kallax square.

19. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Mine, too. I lost my humble vinyl collection in my early 20s, and for years I just didn’t have the heart or funds to start over. She gave me a push start with a gift of turntable and a couple of records several years ago now, and I was quickly reminded why I liked having this stuff.

theflattire, Iving and Paully like this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Eliminating duplicates/reissues I think I have 5000 albums. Maybe that's too many. But I started when I was 11 years old in 1972. I joined the Columbia Record Club - you know "12 records for $1". I worked part time in the Music Department of a Woolworths, interned at a radio station, wrote record reviews for my high school and college newspaper, and basically went to the record store every weekend for, oh, 30 years or so. I still buy new records every month, although these days a lot of it is online.

So you figure 5000 records over 50 years, that's 100 records a year, or 8.33 records a month. That doesn't seem so crazy. But, since I work all the time, I don't have time to sell anything, so it just accumulates.

There are definitely tons of albums I don't listen to any more and I may never listen to again, but even if I had time to sell, what would I get rid of? Maybe Laura Nyro? Herb Alpert? Blood Sweat & Tears? Bee Gees albums? Ringo? Post-15 Big Ones Beach Boys? Jim Croce? Loggins & Messina? Paul Revere & the Raiders? Melissa Manchester? I mean, I don't know if I'll ever listen to them again, but I like those artists. If I got rid of them, I'd only be doing it to prove a point, I suspect.

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I really don’t understand the “if I don’t listen to it at least once a year, there’s no reason to own it” mentality. Just doesn’t add up in my brain. A record I want to hear once every several years is worth having when that time I want to hear it comes around.

Dred, Crimson Witch, Jellis77 and 7 others like this.
  23. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I think I have about 4000+

24. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's nothing more satisfying than to find and play a record that you miss hearing.... that you don't need to search out and find.

People want records too much right now. Bile off the floor of a thrift goes for $4 now. $50 reissues seem cheap vs. other ideas too.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

It depends on who they are by.