Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My guess is that is intended to discourage speculators and flippers.

But I bet that a significant percentage of the sales of this pressing will be to speculators and flippers.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. gmeese34

gmeese34 Forum Resident

Probably right. It’s my fault for not cancelling the backorder. Live and learn

3. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I wouldn't hold my breath for 33rpm versions of these via AP. Requires all new mastering, plating; and who knows if they can still obtain the tapes or even the licensing. If I were a betting man, I'd bet for individual 45 rpm releases pressed from the same mastering before a full 33 rpm mastering would happen via AP.

Based on Chad's comments in the video upthread about pressing capacity, I would say the earliest anyone will see either of those is 3+ years. With our central-bank menacing inflators, who knows what the price of each LP will be at that point? $75 is probably not out of question. SRX anyone? So, you'll save at best possible $150 on a full set of individual pressings (at perhaps 33 rpm) that will likely not sound as good as these 45 rpm pressings. These are the best you can get, and beat original pressings on a mid-tier system IMO.

Disclaimer: I say that as someone who bought the QRP $600 pressing when the discount codes still applied. So, $540 IIRC.

4. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I also greatly prefer the AP 45 rpm pressing of Sunday at The Village Vanguard over the MoFi and have said so years ago upthread, long before the MoFi debacle. Granted that title is supposedly AAA on MoFi but the mastering EQ choices on many of their titles, including this one to my ears, leave a lot to be desired. AP wins that contest hands down for me.

audiotom likes this.
  5. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I’m glad to hear this. I own the Mofi One Step, but have been somewhat disappointed with it - particularly the EQ choices as you mentioned. As one of my favorite albums, I actually find myself pulling out an 80s OJC copy more often. Really looking forward to receiving the AP box.

Aura likes this.
  6. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

im not betting on AP doing 33s, I’m betting on craft doing them for $25-30 each, like the chets

7. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

This would be a very dicey speculation

marcb, killer_b_killed and bjlefebvre like this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

that's correct, New Jazz Conceptions came out individually in 2010, after the Fantasy 100 series ended (2002-2008)

The Bill Evans 2x45 in the box were a collection of individual titles from the Fantasy Series.
    Fantasy 45 Series

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  9. Swordsandchains

would’ve been such a cool series to be around for. Unfortunately when the series started, I was in middle school

this_machine, DeRosa and bruinuclafan like this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I find it hard to process how fast the time goes, how much the vinyl market has changed.
    Back in the 2008-2015 period, there would regularly be 15-20% discounts on many holiday weekends,
    and this was at a time when most of the AP titles were in stock, ready to ship.

11. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

And now many of the AP tiles are "not eligible for additional discounts". :cry:

12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

and today the US to Canada exchange rate is over $1.30 - and in that period it was basically at par.
    I bought so many records from Acoustic Sounds then, shipped to family in Florida, free shipping, no tax, no exchange, discounted 20%!
    That would cost me more than double to buy them today.

13. Swordsandchains

My first AP
    My first AS order was 8/12/19 and it was Miles Davis - Great Prestige gold cd box which was $225 with no tax and free ship. And then on 9/3/19 I got the SRV SACD box and Monk Tenor Sessions gold cd box , used a Labor Day code and again no shipping and tax

at least I got some good deals at the tail end before pandemic made it go bonkers. Grabbed a bunch of those $15 sacds in 2020 too.

wish I was into vinyl back at that time….sigh

bruinuclafan and DeRosa like this.
  14. Yes AP won’t get licensing for 33s. Craft will eventually do them. Some Slight possibility all.

15. Swordsandchains

they have to do them, sitting on a gold mine. With the Riverside anniversary next year I’d assume some Evans and Monk titles will be first up, don’t care if boxed or not.

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

One of my early orders from AS was in 2009 for
    the OJC of Yusef Lateef / Eastern Sounds / LP $ 11.99
    When the Small Batch Craft was announced i forgot i owned this one.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  17. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Right there with you

I got blasted on the One Step thread for comparing the 2 and favoring the AP by a wide margin

1) the AP is natural sounding, tonally balance, microdynamics especially Evans piano intensity and you feel the space of the club

2) the MoFI has less air, overly micro detail that doesn’t sound natural and Lafaro’s bass is way over exaggerated.

Part of me kicks myself for not buying the ERC stereo
    The other half congratulates myself for the restraint

As the Everybody DIgs Bill Evans AP is dramatically better than the ERC one which sound like it is covered in a wet blanket.

Aura likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Is it just the EQing with which you're disappointed? I can understand that. I've said this before. Steve Hoffman focused on making Evans' piano sound full. But in the process he also ended up somewhat muddying up the bass. With the MoFi, even though it's tonally cooler, LaFaro's bass is much tauter, quicker, and pitch specific, making the melodic and rhythmic interplay between the three musicians much more apparent. The AP may sound fuller and warmer, but the MoFi brings out the music itself more. That's the trade-off to my ears.

Hegermann likes this.
  19. jazzsurfer

What is Crafts relationship to whoever owns Riverside catalog?

20. Swordsandchains

Craft is a sublabel of Concord, who owns Riverside, Contemporary, Fantasy, etc

21. Yup. And they don’t have to pay licensing fees like AP has to.

wgb113 and Swordsandchains like this.
  22. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

I received my box yesterday afternoon. Checked all the records and on visual inspection they all appear flat and centered. This really is a nice boxset. Now, I need to run them all through a cleaning and then I'll be ready to sit down with them this weekend. Im hoping RTI gave these pressings the same care they did to the BT Tone Poets.

23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The structure of these music labels can be a bit confusing.

As reissues have become a bigger part of the 3 major labels overall music sales,
    they have each created a "back catalog" division to manage all their catalog sublabels (separately from current artists)
    So all these non-current artist reissue programs are managed by the catalog division:

Main Label - Back Catalog
    Sony - Legacy
    Warner - Rhino
    Universal Music Group - UMe (Universal Music Enterprises)

Concord - Craft

Since Concord is privately owned, they have a deal with Universal to distribute Craft into the market,
    making their titles widely accessible to all countries and resellers. (unlike for example, a smaller independent label
    like Analogue Productions, who do their own distribution, and aren't widely available except by retailers who import themselves)

Craft has the rights to the collection of Jazz labels that were acquired by Fantasy over the years,
    and now includes:
    Contemporary Records
    Fania Records
    Fantasy Records
    Milestone Records
    Pablo
    Prestige Records
    Riverside
    Stax Records
    and others

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  24. This is probably the most accurate and succinct description of this I’ve seen. Well done.

bjlefebvre and DeRosa like this.
  25. jazzsurfer

which begs the question why Craft doesn't release more jazz titles with vinyl market being pretty good.

buckaroo likes this.