Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

That’s a good description. The Physical deluxe is a strong example of ‘good’ modern remasters. The recent reissue of Sheena Easton’s A Private Heaven is along the same lines. The Toyah album we mentioned earlier too.

Fact is, many people just don’t like those quiet, ‘flat’ sounding early CDs. So they have to get round that somehow.

Fan4Eva, Burningfool and RSteven like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I knew it was a re-recording. I can’t remember how different the latter is to the original, though.

3. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I wait with baited breath to see whether my Amazon or eBay order arrives first! :pineapple:

Song4U, RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I think what happen was I did pre order when it first was listed but I lumped the pre order with the vinyl too. Then a week or so later I decided against the vinyl and in order to cancel the vinyl I had to cancel the Cd. So I had to place another order just for the CD which probably made me lose place of first batches being released. Yet still, even with my 2nd pre order of just the CD it still has Sept 9 as release. But now it says I won’t get delivery till Oct 2.

Oh well.

KJTC likes this.
  5. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

despite being charged for it on Sunday, my CD set never shipped. Still was showing a delivery date of October 1, so I canceled it and re-ordered. Now Amazon has it arriving tomorrow. :rolleyes:

leicbri and RSteven like this.
  6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I think it’s the luck of the draw and not order date and time. I’ve preordered things at first chance and not get the item at all. And I’ve ordered things late and got it immediately while reading about some folks still waiting. Case in point, I’ll bet I ordered INFY after you. Mine came last week. :shrug:

7. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Last night I extracted the video from the Physical DE DVD to stream from my NAS. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the loud squeals that plague the DVD are absent from the extracted video. As the credits come to an end, there is only silence.

Perhaps this is old news now, but it appears that the squeals are the result of flawed DVD authoring, and are not embedded in the actual video. Since it does not seem that PW is going to offer a disc exchange for the DVD, this may be a solution for those of us who don't want to destroy our ears and/or speakers.

leicbri and RSteven like this.
  8. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

NoYesMaybe likes this.
  9. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Does "Hopelessly Devoted To You" have a dropout in all versions of Back To Basics?

10. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

edcw likes this.
  11. NoYesMaybe

I really thought you being in the USA you would got it first… :shake:

12. Pizza

edcw likes this.
  13. Pizza

Plus he’s a super fan. There should be a list where all of us longtime super fans get this stuff first. :agree:

14. NoYesMaybe

If only Amazon worked like that...

I got mine last week in Montréal and it left from Indiana so... Even though technically Montréal is closer, I thought the whole USA would be served first... Even now on Amazon Canada you can get it in 2 days (I suppose the warehouse close by received a few).

I can't believe I got it before Bobby! :unhunh::uhhuh:

15. Bobby Morrow

I don’t love the fact that I’ll be one of the last to get it. :D

I’m mean, obviously I’ve heard the main album hundreds of times and I know the bonus disc pretty well too! I wish I’d had the willpower not to play the latter. It has rather spoiled getting the CD. Should I ever actually get it!

RSteven likes this.
  16. NoYesMaybe

You and Song4U think alike about the willpower of "waiting" to appreciate... It's funny to me since we already know the album for soooooo long... For me there is no waiting! Can you imagine dying before receiving it and not have enjoyed it at least on Spotify before your last breath?

Too dark?

:shh:

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

The morning the album debuted on Spotify, I actually got up purposely early to listen to it.

That’s how much willpower I have!

18. NoYesMaybe

I bought a 7" single for 110$ and pre-ordered the Primary Wave Greatest Hits today... And I am broke! Seriously! Still unsure about the SHM-CD though...

No willpower whatsoever here! :unhunh:

RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Someone needs to send this link to Vinny and ask why something like this could not have been included in the Physical Deluxe. It even has notes from Olivia herself about some of the tracks. This is a legitimate serious question. Basically everyone involved with this album gave input. I didn’t know that the Landslide video was the only one they felt they missed the mark.

Olivia Newton-John's 'Physical' Phenomenon Revisited, Page 4

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I’m sad to have learned that Nigel Goodall, a fellow ONJ fan and member of the Official Facebook Group, passed away earlier this year. I only really knew him through the group but had some ONJ-related correspondence with him and he seemed like a lovely chap.

His name appears in the credits for both the Physical and the If Not For You deluxe editions as he was one of the fan/experts who assisted Primary Wave in compiling the material.

In fact, it is he who was commissioned to assemble and scan various single picture sleeves for the Physical project. These scans weren’t ultimately used, as he explains on his blog here, in an article from a November 2021:

https://nigelgoodall.blogspot.com/2021/11/olivias-physical-at-40.html

Interestingly, his prior blog article was from June 2021 and focused on If Not For You:

https://nigelgoodall.blogspot.com/2021/06/olivias-first-album-revisited.html

This makes me wonder if the original plan was for both INFY and Physical to come out last year, in their anniversary years, with INFY actually arriving first? I’m recalling now that early-mid 2021 is when Olivia went missing in action for about three months (at least some of which time, it was later revealed, was spent in hospital). She re-emerged just prior to the Physical push.

RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Pizza

What was the single?

22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Interesting that the glitch did not transfer over, why? Also what is NAS?

23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

24. NoYesMaybe

A single from Nicole Martin (my avatar). Think of her as the French Canadian Olivia... They both we're born two years apart, both started in the late sixties, had about the same amount of albums out and big success in the seventies and both we're pretty done success wise by the late eighties...

Nicole had a comeback in 2010 and made two albums à la Indigo and give us a 3CDs Hits Collection (much less than Olivia for the same career). She passed away at 69 years old in 2019...

I have of course everything she did but a few singles from her beginning before she use her own name that I got in the past few years but there was the elusive one really hard to find... That I did found last week as a dead stock for... 110$!!! Utterly R I D I C U L O U S for a 45 but both sides are actually good and It was the last one I was searching for years... I thought about it for a week and today I took the plunge! Let's cross fingers that it's a damn good copy for 110$...

Think of it as If I bought today that impossible to find single from Toomorrow in NM for 110$...

:crazy:

25. Pizza

That’s awesome, NoYesMaybe. It’s always cool to find a holy grail. But, yeah, they’re never cheap. I used to really search out Olivia releases before there was an internet. I almost nabbed a Xanadu picture disc! I was blindly calling record stores in New York. Finally found one that had it. $800. I said I’ll take it. Then they checked and it was sold a few days earlier. :(