The U.K. 80s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2022.

1. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Jesus, did she ice up before this video?! I feel assaulted!

Tina's version is also on her Collected Recordings box set (the '60s-'90s one), but I think that's the only other place you can find it on CD. I doubt you want to spend that much just for one track, but it's a nicely put together box set.

[​IMG]

2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I was wondering if it was on that! My copy's in compilation storage hell at the moment. It's a nice set though. Got mine not that long ago, for a few quid. Some nice rarities.

EG.

Jagger69, AFOS, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  3. rfkavanagh

I'm assuming it's the same version as the one on We Are The World, but all my stuff's in storage right now, too, so I can't check it either! She'd hardly have recorded two versions, right?

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I think the version on that is over 6 minutes long. I’d prefer the shorter one on the We Are The World album.

5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Well, according to Discogs..

We Are The World version is 3.38
    Collected set is 6.28

EG.

6. rfkavanagh

Just looked up the booklet on Discogs - the box set has a note that an edited version was previously released on USA For Africa, so there you have it. (And I see you've both already found the info, too!)

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

All the more reason I should do my own Private Dancer deluxe!

EG.

8. Bobby Morrow

I’m sure there’ll be a 40th anniversary edition in 2 years. Maybe Total Control will be on that.

It doesn’t seem like 8 years since I bought the 30th anniversary release!

9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I did deluxes for Break Every Rule and Foreign Affair. The Mad Max songs went on the former, so I'd have to think about what could go on the extra disc(s). The Bowie duet, for sure. And both versions of Total Control. It's Only Love, as well.

EG.

10. Bobby Morrow

It’s time we got an official Break Every Rule deluxe. They did a pretty good job with the Foreign Affair one… Apart from the DVD not liking my player!

11. rfkavanagh

Private Dancer had some pretty good b-sides - When I Was Young and Don't Rush The Good Things are both great. There's also Ball Of Confusion with B.E.F. - granted, that was 1982, but it directly led to Let's Stay Together and the album. It also had an instrumental version on the b-side.

I can't remember, were they all on the 30th Anniversary edition? Regardless, I'm sure you'd put in the effort to find better-sounding versions... :)

Oh, and there's also the single version of Help, which I don't think has ever shown up on CD.

12. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And here's what Billboard, in its Dec. 5, 1981 issue, had to say about the Tom Tom Club single:

TOM TOM CLUB—Genius Of Love (3:36); producer: Steven Stanley, Tina Weymouth, Chris Frantz; writer: Tom Tom Club; publisher: Metered Music ASCAP. Sire 49882.​

And, in that same ish':

SOFT CELL—Tainted Love (2:38); producer: Mike Thorne; writer: Edward C. Cobb; publisher: Equinox BMI. Sire 49855 (WB).​

Obviously the anonymous reviewer(s) had nothing to say about either of these - unlike RM's Sunie.

And from the Aug. 15, 1981 ish', their review of Mr. Cross' effort (all spelling errors theirs):

CHRISTOPHER CROSS—Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) (3:53); producer: Michael Omartian; writer: Peter Allen, Burt Bacharach, Christopher Cross, Carole Bayer Sager; publisher: Irvin, Woodnough, BMI, New Hidden Valley, Pop 'N' Roll, ASCAP, WB, ASCAP, Unichappell, Begonia Melodie, BMI; Warner Bros. 49787. Cross gives this theme from the film starring Dudley Moore a powerful and emotional vocal treatment with the song enhanced by an immaculate full bodied arrangement. This has Oscar potential.​

Again, the contrast between a trade pub like Billboard and a music paper such as RM. From that same ish', this one:

ROLLING STONES—Start Me Up (3:32); producers: Glimmer Twins; writers: Jagger & Richards; publishers: Colgems EMI Music Inc., ASCAP; Rollings Stones Records (Atlantic) RS21003. The Rolling Stones return to their mid '70s style for this rocker, which with its catchy refrain easily worms its way into the memory. Part of the fun of the song is to identify some of the musical quotes from previous Stones' classics. Programmers should also check out, "No Use In Crying" on the other side. It is a ballad that may turn out to be the hit.​

Lest you think Billboard neglected our beloved Toyah, this album review (from Aug. 29) puts this to rest:

ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK—Urgh: A Music War, A&M SP6019. Executive producer: Michael White. Taken from the soundtrack of the same name, this double LP makes a fine sampler as to who's who in the new wave. Performing live are such well-known acts as the Police, XTC, Devo, the Cramps, Joan Jett, Gary Numan, Gang Of Four, 999, X, and Magazine. Also of note are Toyah Wilcox, Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark, the Go Go's, Jools Holland, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Au Pairs, Pere Ubu, John Otway, Steel Pulse and the Members.
    Best cuts: "Driven To Tears," by Police: "Enola Gray" by Orchestral Manoeuvers, "Offshore Banking Business," by the Members; "Tear It Up" by the Cramps, "He'd Send In The Army" by Gang of Four​

13. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

That Toyah/Billy Idol review! Ouch! :biglaugh:

14. DesertHermit

I wasn’t aware of this box set. Will investigate further.

15. DesertHermit

How many times have we had this discussion over the past 8 years and still nothing has been done? I was so p***ed off when they skipped straight over BER.

16. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I did not know Modern Talking had a chart hit in UK. I know they are very popular in parts of continental Europe. Personally I like them, and have several of their albums and some other projects of Bohlen like Blue System. Every song I just can't help but sing-along to rhymes like emotion/devotion :D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    ChoonyFish, Jarleboy and pwhytey like this.
  17. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Obviously an error on my part chasing down and owning said piece of s**t,:hide:

Its a brilliant song by an underrated performer IMHO.

18. OptimisticGoat

I can now add my own nomination for Mi-Sex greatest moment.

AFOS, Jarleboy, Bobby Morrow and 2 others like this.
  19. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Titbait Clickbait! :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. DesertHermit

Apologies…I did not mean to cast aspersions on any present company who owned said piece of s**t! :laugh:

And I could not agree more regarding Martha Davis. Such an underrated singer with a tone that is totally individual to her and always recognisable. I always felt that the Motels (and Martha as a solo artist) never really got the recognition they deserved. Her solo record Policy in 1988 was a fantastic record but really only enjoyed success here in Australia. I saw Martha performing as Motels in the mid 2000s and live her voice was still quite remarkable. It has a resonance and depth that is quite incredible. She also appeared to be a really genuinely nice woman too.

21. Bobby Morrow

OMD review the singles in RM November 1984.

[​IMG]

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I posted this on the Human League thread but am also posting it here.
    It's a great interview with Martin Ware by Mark Ellon and David Hepworth ex Smash Hits, Q etc
    It's very funny and very gossipy about Phil Oakey, Terence Trent Derby, Tina Turner and erm Hot Gossip.

Jagger69, tin ears, Binni and 3 others like this.
  23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I was the same with Neighbours,quite a few babes over the years. Elle Robinson and Amy Greenwood would be at the top of the list

Eric_Generic and Jarleboy like this.
  24. OptimisticGoat

McCluskey on the right side of single of the week. Alphaville was not a UK hit did I read? Its an 80s cult classic. Love Rattlensakes too.

25. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Paul Humphries also chose well — I love 'Blasphemous Rumours'.

Some great singles in there: Alphaville, Lloyd Cole, Kane Gang, Scritti (although 'Hypnotize' isn't a patch on their previous singles, as Andy points out). I've never really liked 'How To Be A Millionaire' but I do really like 'Half A Minute', which is up there with my favourite Matt Bianco songs.

I don't really know the others. OMD reviewing one of their own singles (and one of their weakest, too) is a bit awks.