Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Rarely anything on AEW's program. I stopped listening a few months ago because even in his historical commentary he has to get digs in on people he hates today. Plus his die hard fan base is toxic online.

I seriously think the Bucks should go out there with Best Friends (two teams he hates) and do move for move the Midnight Express NWA tag title win match over the Rock & Roll Express from 1986 and see how he rips it apart.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

when he laughed at the rumor the bucks asked kevin owens to ask HHH if he had any interest in maybe singing the bucks corny actually said wwe might have interest in omega but never the bucks

3. WarEagleRK

That whole rumor was silly. The Bucks negotiated directly with Triple H before AEW started and almost signed there. If they wanted to talked to Triple H, they would have called him directly.

Too bad PWG footage isn't easily accessible because the Bucks, Owens & Adam Cole as the faction Mount Rushmore were great.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. WarEagleRK

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Well, I agree with his overall take on the Bucks. A couple of 170-lbs nimrods who have matches that look like choreographed athletic skills contests rather than actual matches. Admittedly, I have never been a big fan of the Shawn Michaels style, which seems more like style over substance, and those two look like they took his style and multiplied it by 100, but, and I know it is asking for a lot, I still prefer a little realism to my wrestling. Even though I wasn't wowed by the match last night, I loved Moxley and Danielson getting down on the mat and grappling with moves and countermoves and whatnot.

6. Matthew Tate

never heard that. dozens of wrestlers including jericho who says he based a lot his style off of HBK, swear up and down HBK is the greatest to ever lace up a pair of boots

905 likes this.
  7. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I think it's mainly HBK's personality. The guy was flashy, arrogant and a showman and it translated into his wrestling style. Never had any issues with HBK's wrestling, but he sure sounded like as piece of work before going out with the back injury after WM14.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. WarEagleRK

I disagree about the Bucks, and I hate that Cornette has had his opinion spread so far that is all that people see them as. I've never seen two Bucks matches that looked the same. The Bucks are more lucha based than Shawn Michaels based. However, they can work almost any style. Watch their two matches vs FTR. Find a match of them vs the Briscoes. Plus I appreciate their hustle. They made a fortune off of busting their butts and building a fan base with very little television exposure. Them and Colt Cabana set the template for how indy wrestlers can actually make money. Cornette's criticism of them is all based on the fact that he didn't think they were worth flying out to shows when he was booker of ROH, then they proved him wrong over time and he can't admit he was wrong. Cornette booked ninja turtles and mummies and had his wife on TV as Batista's manager, but didn't see value in the Bucks, Omega and Kevin Steen.

What makes wrestling so great to me is the variety of stuff you can get on one show. I love Danielson vs Moxley, but I don't need 5 matches on the show like that. I think that's why I have enjoyed AEW so much. You can have the high flying spot fests, Japanese strong style and straight mat wrestling all on one show.

9. WarEagleRK

Almost everyone in the business had bad dealings with Michaels prior to his comeback even back to his AWA days.

George Co-Stanza and JCRW like this.
  10. WarEagleRK

I was more a Bret Hart fan than a Michaels fan, but I always saw Michaels as a more updated Ric Flair during his early singles run where the style was there but he worked his butt off when the bell rang.

11. Matthew Tate

Yeah i've just never seen anyone say HBK had no sudstance. even bret hart who might still really hate HBK said "that guy could go in the ring like no other". now that doesn't mean hart thinks HBK is the best but i'm sure we'd have heard it if he thought he was trash in the ring

905 and George Co-Stanza like this.
  12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Okay, but I didn’t say Michaels had no substance. I said his style seemed like more style over substance, meaning he had both, but that style won out far too often.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Which is not the same as having a good match with anyone. They tend to avoid complete style clashes. Just as a for instance, match them up against the Road Warriors of the 80s. There are still teams like that out there.
    Pointless flashy moves never impressed me. Everybody dives out onto a scrum. I thought it was stupid 20 years ago. Everybody could see it coming as they got into position. I remember seeing the photo of Ricochet and Will Osprey inverted in the ring all I could think of was the amount of coordination needed for that stunt.
    The pizza guy? I saw a gymnast once do the same act. Maybe it was him. It's a great act. But one that I might book once and let the guy go over a jobber to entertain the crowd. I could book that. Can't take him seriously though.

FourWalledWorld and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

i agree with some of this but don't wrestlers in general try and avoid complete styles clashes or even in some cases guys that work too similar together?

15. Matthew Tate

i get it and i get he was a jerk back in the day but tons of wrestlers say one of their best matches ever was against HBK. jericho, cena, flair, undertaker, bret hart, razor ramon, etc all list a match against HBK as one of the best matches they ever had. not the best but one of the best. that says a lot right there as they all work differently

905 likes this.
  16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Let me ask you this. How would they deal with being booked to take a one sided thumping? No not even getting their stuff in. Would they job with a smile? Or better yet sell the F out of it? The come back would be a few months worth of beatings later when they overcome the bullies. That's how I would book the Bucks. I doubt they would have worked such a program.

Sparkly wears on your eyes after a while.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

oh no they wouldn't want to do that at all.

i just meant in general was there huge pushes to constantly have demolition wrestling LOD or hogan constantly wrestling warrior? money draws but the matches would get old as styles are similar.

opposite end of that ROH was also well known for not booking a lot similar tag team styles in the same programs for months on end.

18. WarEagleRK

Good is subjective. I've never seen a bad Young Bucks match, nor have I seen one where the crowd in the building wasn't into it and reacting.

The Bucks have worked with a lot of teams that are styles clashes with them where they didn't get all of their stuff in. They had a two year run where Matt Jackson worked a back injury and that kept them from doing their normal stuff. Their whole ROH feud with Red Dragon was Fish & O'Reilly constantly getting the upper hand on them. In AEW they have put over every team on the roster except maybe Best Friends.

They have had many styles clash matches were both teams came out looking great. Why would they need to do a quick squash?

Young Bucks vs

bigger teams like
    Tama Tanga & Tanga Loa in New Japan
    War Machine (Viking Raiders in WWE)

Technical teams like
    FTR
    Red Dragon
    Daniels & Kazarian

I think they adapt their style to whoever they are working. They weren't throwing Keith Lee around or no selling for him. I get it they are divisive but they definitely don't work the same match every time.

That said, I hate multi-man or tag matches where there is the "everyone gather on the floor to catch the guy doing the big spot" spot. That's over done. Much like the multi-woman matches where they do the tower of doom spot in the corner.

Have you seen any Will Ospreay in the last 3 or 4 years? He's a completely different worker. A lot of people judged him and Ricochet off of a one minute clip and didn't hang around to see if there was actual substance in their work and both are good workers. Same with Orange Cassidy.

As far as the pizza guy goes, it's an indy gimmick that showed up once on AEW said two words and got knocked out. If it gets him bookings and paydays on the indy scene so be it. I'd rather see him than someone who sticks skewers in his head and goes through light tubes.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I'm with you brother. I have picked light tube glass and thumbtacks out of wrestlers backs. I thought it was exceptionally stupid as I had to wear gloves when I worked with tubes(changing and cleaning shades in a factory). They had to be disposed of in a specific way. Have no idea how many of the boys got infections, but that powder inside a tube is not something I would want in an open wound, And I told them that the first time they did it. It was a new thing then and we were hosting Ian Rotten and Madman Pondo. I will say that Ian's wife was a sweetie and my wife and I both liked her. Sitting with Ian I could never get past the angry red roadmap on his forehead.

Matthew Tate and WarEagleRK like this.
  20. WarEagleRK

I've always hated the garbage style of wrestling. Blood is fine when used properly, but if it's not a part of the ringside area (with maybe the exception of a ladder) you don't need it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I started out working for Midwest Championship Wrestling around 93. Very trad wrestling shows. Malcolm Monroe was the promoter and he and AT Huck were booking. After two shows they started running Insane Championship Wrestling and we were following the lead of ECW then Ian's ICW and CZW.

May I also say I HATE barbed wire. And prying tacks out of my shoes.

22. Matthew Tate

you have some great stories

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. WarEagleRK

Any match where a wrestler pulls a bag out and drops the tacks on the ring immediately takes me out of it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

even the famous hell in a cell?

25. WarEagleRK

Yeah, but at least it wasn't as egregious then as it is now that it has been done a million times.

JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.