Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

The auction is over. This is the third set he sold. All over $200. I have to say, some of the Daybeat remixes are pretty good and, as we know, Olivia liked his mixes enough to include them on The Hotel Sessions. The cardsleeves actually look pretty snazzy as well even if Totally Hot is spelled wrong.

Alan Townsend likes this.
  2. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Which came as a surprise to me - I absolutely LOVE that video!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I can’t get past the use of a 1992 photo on the disc of 1988’s ‘Can’t We Talk It Over In Bed’! :faint:

Bobby Morrow and Pizza like this.
  4. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

800$ for a picture disc that you already had as a regular LP??? Are you NUTS???? :winkgrin:

Or a millionaire?? :hugs:

Seriously, it's crazy, I would never spent that (I don't have that to spent anyway) but my 45 are 2 songs I don't have... There's one horrible youtube video of it and one Soundcloud that is noisier than a fire place... Impossible to enjoy...

Then again, If I we're a millionaire... I'd probably spent crazy amount like that for music I want...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Am I nuts? Yes!
    But that would have eventually been considered a bargain. I gulped for a moment back then because it was a new item that was given out as a promotion for the movie. I think I read only 200 were made.
    I bought a lot stuff at the time. A lot of bargains and a number of pricy things. I don’t do that anymore. These days I try to keep up with just the regular releases.

6. NoYesMaybe

800$ for Olivia... Wow... You would say The Beatles... Okay... But Olivia?

Do you regret not getting it? Or does old wiser you now know it was a tad much (I like how I am answering for you here...:D) ?

7. Pizza

Oh, I’m still bitter I didn’t get it. It’s worth a ton now.

8. NoYesMaybe

When was that? And how much is it worth now??

9. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I have to conclude that the squeal is a result of mistakes made during the authoring of the DVD. Somebody screwed up when they assembled that disc.

(slight rant follows)

The pattern of poor quality control with these reissues drives me nuts. Had someone bothered to actually watch the entire test DVD (which was undoubtedly supplied by the pressing plant) prior to approving it for production, they would have caught the problem and ordered a re-do. It's the same quality control lapse that gave us the scrambled track order on Disc 2 of INFY. Simply sitting down and listening to both CDs would have prevented the flawed discs we now have. Clearly, nobody could be bothered to check their work. I really shouldn't have to re-engineer my brand new reissues with video extraction and tagging software. Maybe it doesn't bother everyone, but it doesn't change the fact that these reissues are messed up. And since PW isn't offering to exchange our flawed discs for replacements, I guess we just have to take what they give us.

I do suggest that all of us contact Primary Wave and request corrected discs. It's the least they can do, really. You can send them a message here.

(end slight rant)

NAS stands for network attached server. It's essentially a box that holds multiple hard drives, and it is part of my home network. It holds all of my lossless digital music, movies, photographs, and documents. In addition to storage, I use the NAS to stream my music to my stereo using Roon.

Song4U and leicbri like this.
  10. Pizza

It was back when the movie was released. I just googled. One site said there’s only 31 copies and it’s worth a tad under $9,000 a few years back.

11. NoYesMaybe

12. Pizza

They won’t correct it. Have they even acknowledged the issues? No. Was there a dvd with INFY? No. I don’t expect anymore DVDs in this series. Hope I’m wrong.

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

What @Pizza said.

I’ve never contacted Primary Wave myself, but all the people I know on Facebook and here who did, never received any kind of response.

Song4U likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I haven’t kept up with this thread, but has anyone received the 2cd version of INFY reissue?

Dare I ask, how is the SQ?

15. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Just a heads up for those still waiting for their Amazon preorder: after cancelling and reordering yesterday morning, the CD has already been shipped and will arrive today. Original order was still showing October 1 for delivery.

RSteven and leicbri like this.
  16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

You forgot about the syncing issue that occurs on the live concert toward the end. They never bothered to clean up the live in concert. My VHS tape is better than the DVD which is very dark. It only looks decent with close up images anything further away it’s all blurry and dark.

Unfortunately PW doesn’t reply to emails so there never going to admit anything is wrong. I would have preferred they just release the videos on DVD and then later take the time to clean up the Live in Concert even if it takes frame by frame. This footage because even more precious now and they just didn’t handle the release well at all on the DVD.

The music videos I can live with and are actually pretty good. I still want the complete abc tv show with added talking parts and am hoping ABC might find it and release it as a tribute to her television special. This would sell like hotcakes.

leicbri and Burningfool like this.
  17. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I'm not sure the Let's Get Physical TV special would sell well on its own, but I do think that a box set of Olivia's TV specials (including Let's Get Physical) would be an attractive offer to a fairly broad audience. Something akin to what Time Life did with Dolly Parton's TV appearances and specials:

Dolly The Ultimate Collection - The Best of Dolly Parton DVD Set - Time Life

The benefit of such a box-set would be that it could be marketed as featuring a glittering array of guest stars: Lynda Carter, Elliot Gould, Lee Majors, ABBA, Andy Gibb, Cliff Richard, Elton John, Tina Turner, Karen Carpenter, Gene Kelly etc etc..

What I would REALLY like to see is a release of Olivia's Utah concert as a CD/DVD (or Blu Ray) combo set. The best copy I have of this concert is a DVD I got from iOffer many years ago (not official, obviously). I think whoever created it had taken the show from LaserDisc. It looked and sounded great, which is why I have no sympathy for Primary Wave's mishandling of the concert on the bonus DVD. A nice touch from this iOffer seller was putting the audio of the show onto CD. The sound quality is great, and it makes it really clear that it could easily have worked as a standalone live album (which was, I believe, considered as an option back in '82/83).

It's an acclaimed show (so the booklet could include some great press cuttings and reviews) it covers most of her major hits, and with the right marketing, a CD/DVD deluxe edition - 'Olivia Newton-John: Physical Tour LIVE' - could be a worthwhile item.

BeSteVenn and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I've played through the DVD concert in the Physical deluxe three times now looking for this syncing issue I've seen a couple people mention and I've had yet to notice it. I played the disc both in my main bluray player and my portable DVD player and haven't seen any sync issue. Perhaps it was an issue with some discs but not others? Maybe it also depends on the type of player? I don't know.

The loud screeches are a different story. I have to remind myself to hit the stop or return to menu button before they appear. I nearly blew out my TV speakers the first time.

leicbri likes this.
  19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yeah!!
    Just got an email that my IFNY Deluxe Cd has shipped and I will get it Friday. Then I got another that I saved $4.39 on my pre order price. Can’t wait to FINALLY hear this.

20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It’s also the general public that caught these glitches too on the DVD because of you look at Amazon there are a bunch of comments from customers who noticed this. So it’s not just the hardcore Olivia fans here.

The right thing to do was for PW to own up to it and make the wrong a right. Olivia fans are very forgiving about this.

We just want the best product it can be. I want the Live in Concert to be better than my VHS tape or even you tube. It has to be within reach to do this with a correct re mastering.

I also feel it should have been 2 separate releases not crammed all on 1 DVD.

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I’m actually really looking forward to your thoughts on the If Not For You deluxe. Especially the bonus disc. You must be the only person on here who hasn’t heard a note of it.

Song4U likes this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I haven't streamed the album either. I am very excited to finally get If Not For You deluxe CD from Target after I canceled my Amazon order. It is getting closer to me. It's in Washington state now and is scheduled to be here by Sunday, which makes no sense since UPS does not deliver on Sundays in my little town. Even if they transferred to our local post office that would not work either, unless it gets here on Saturday.

Song4U and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Here are the blurry pages I received in my INFY deluxe booklet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  24. NoYesMaybe

Was there a pair of 3D glasses included? :winkgrin:

Eric_Generic, Burningfool and RSteven like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

As someone who has actually been involved with the reissue of three holiday albums on CD for Real Gone Music, I am usually sympathetic to a small error or very minor mistake, but this is just totally inexcusable. This looks like amateur hour at Primary Wave and that just saddens me a great deal as I so appreciate the effort behind these reissues, but something is clearly wrong with their quality control or editing review process.

leicbri, Song4U, Burningfool and 3 others like this.