Box Set Beefs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Apr 19, 2021.

1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The false start was never on any U.K. release, which was the template for the 2009 reissues. The U.S. Rubber Soul with the false start was issued as a standalone CD in 2014, the same time as the U.S. albums box, so you should be able to track down that one disc if you don't want the whole set. (It's a stereo/mono twofer, but only the stereo mix has the false start.)

Pete's "I Can See For Miles" demo is on the physical release, the last track on the last CD.
    [​IMG]
    I found it annoying that four tracks were vinyl-only on that set, but they're all variant mixes rather than unique songs, and most if not all of them exist digitally elsewhere, like on the earlier 2CD Sell Out.

2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Same here.

Booyaa73 likes this.
  3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Lick My Decals is missing the original Straight label and the lyric sheet.

notesofachord and Scope J like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Grow Fins box set has many flaws.

Scope J likes this.
  5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yup. Criminal.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

any vinyl mixed in with a CD box set aggravates me to no end...keep them separate where they belong...vinyl is a drag on the set when you don't do TT...

Who'sTommy, Sean, Pete Puma and 3 others like this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I believe that's just the studio version with new Gabriel vocals on top. I would have to listen again to see if there is any additional Hackett there too.

Rojo likes this.
  8. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Of course! It's so simple and yet they don't get it.

Michael and Texado like this.
  9. Michael

so I don't buy it! but I did before...stopped at the Aqualung Box with the defective BD...

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I loved that Isis! Up To Me is another gem.

And the 'wrong' version of Mixed Up Confusion that appeared on first vinyl pressings, I enjoyed more than the 'correct' single version... :hide:

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Have you ever heard that version of Isis...? [It's right there in the intro.]

12. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I refused to buy one of my favorite albums of all time because of the unnecessary addition of vinyl to the deluxe edition (Kinks Village Green) so I kept the 2008 3 cd set.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

exactly...it's not like we are made of money to throw away on unnecessary vinyl piggyback box sets...

javilu77 likes this.
  14. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

And issue 5.1 mixes separately!!! I want them... not the vinyl OR cds.

Michael likes this.
  15. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

That was disappointing. Geffen Records initially planned to reissue all of the first five LPs and the singles collection individually, which would have included the missing tracks. But they stopped after Dub Housing, for reasons I don't know. Low sales, I guess?

That disc of Cleveland musicians was a revelation for me when I bought the box. I don't think Scat Records' similar Those Were Different Times compilation had been released when the Ubu box was, but I definitely heard the box set first.

artieziff likes this.
  16. Michael

indeed...but we speak on deaf ears...

Amnion likes this.
  17. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I can't get through them. I start out all enthused, booklet in hand ready to read, like "yeah, this is gonna be great".

Halfway through the second disc I'm bored as hell and want to listen to anything else.

I like albums that are vinyl-era length, then on to something else. Or, my collection of FLAC albums on random.

aussievinyl, Amnion and Aftermath like this.
  18. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

Boxsets with material spread over too many discs. I'm watching you Beatles Super Deluxe!

Let It Be;
    CD 1: original album: 35 minutes
    CD 2: Get Back - Apple Sessions: 40 minutes
    CD 3: Get Back - Reahearsals and Apple Jams: 32 minutes
    CD 4: Glyn Johns mix: 42 minutes
    CD 5: Let It Be EP (whatever that means): 13 minutes

It could ALMOST all fit on TWO CDs!!!!!!!!

19. Michael

no, it does not...when did that start? been gladly away from vinyl for quite a few years now..

20. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

My biggest moan is the price. Take the Joni Mitchell Asylum years 4cd set out tomorrow. Priced in the UK at £44.99. Why so much ? If you're a newbie you'll most likely buy the existing 10 cd studio album box set of hers from 68-79. Cheap and cheerful. So this new set is probably aimed at completists. Ok it's going to be remastered, but I've bought all those 4 albums, Court, Miles, Hissing and Hejira three times each already. I'm hoping to pick it up under £35 at some stage. Have to draw a line somewhere.

21. Well One Steps , UHQRs from Analogue Productions & Craft Small Batch releases do just that.

Michael likes this.
  22. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Tangerine Dream's In Search of Hades and Pilots of Purple Twilight are superb box sets that are the crown jewels of my CD collection. However, they are LP-sized which means I cannot fit them into my CD racks. They're even too big for my book cases. :cry:

Ozric Tentacles' reissue of the Vitamin Enhanced set is a similar story.

Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    tug_of_war likes this.
  23. Michael

thanks...yea, that's right! the MFSL UHQR Sgt Pepper was one I owned...

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Zip. Which is good- I'm only interested in the music and presentation, not an advertisement.
    Your post was vague, I'm thinking you had these boutique labels in mind?

Mazzy likes this.
  25. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

With you there.. some of the prices... for outtakes etc. and a snazzy book, and throw in some media you don't want.

Wild Horse likes this.