Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Bloody hell!

Tim 2, Burningfool and RSteven like this.
  2. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

For those wondering, It should have looked this way... My copy is perfect booklet wise...

3. NoYesMaybe

While I agree with you 10000000%, It's probably the printing facility who's to blame at this point...

4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have never seen this happen before. Some copies are clear and some are blurry? I have seen a very small typo or date get transposed wrong, but I have never seen this before on a big scale. I will let everyone know how my Target copy looks like and sounds like.

Burningfool and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

:yikes:
    So unacceptable!!
    This needs to be shown all over social media only way it will be brought to PW attention since they don’t answer emails. Poor quality control. Now what would Vinny say? He may not be involved in this aspect part but it reflects on him and his staff.

6. NoYesMaybe

Mine is flawless packaging wise... Made in Mexico... Maybe some are made elsewhere?

One thing we could say is that Primary Wave also does business with companies lacking quality control... Qui se ressemble s'assemble...

:hide:

Burningfool likes this.
  7. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I remember when PW posted a pic of their team with ONJ & John E. at the Santa Ynez ranch. No doubt, they promised that her catalog would get top-notch respect and care. One has to wonder if she fielded offers from other organizations or gave PW first dibs due to her previous association with Green Hill.

leicbri and David Campbell like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Quite detailed sleeve notes for Olivia.

9. NoYesMaybe

She probably choose Primary Wave because they offer her the most % to give back to her Center & Foundation... I wonder how long her deal with Primary Wave is for...? I'd say 10 years at the very least...

10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

If I may ask where did you copy ship from? Retailer?

11. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Certainly. Amazon USA. I requested an exchange for the blurry copy they shipped me. The replacement is scheduled for delivery today, so hopefully I will receive a non-blurry booklet this time.

Song4U likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Primary Wave were buying up lots of artists’ catalogue around the time they signed the deal with Olivia. I wonder how much she was paid?

leicbri likes this.
  13. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I would think PW owns her recorded works outright now. It’s their asset to use or sell to another entity in the future. Perhaps ONJ maintained a certain small percentage to maintain some sort of ongoing revenue stream. When PW bought Stevie Nicks’ songwriting catalog, I believe she maintained 15-20% equity.

leicbri likes this.
  14. NoYesMaybe

Was yours Made in Mexico?

15. NoYesMaybe

Did she sell her rights or just made a deal with them for a few years?

16. Bobby Morrow

I think it’s just the CD that’s made in Mexico, isn’t it? Every US import CD I’ve bought in the last few years has ‘Made in Mexico’ stamped on the back of the packaging.

17. Bobby Morrow

No idea. You know Olivia would never make details like that public.

leicbri and edcw like this.
  18. NoYesMaybe

Like you, it was stamped in the plastic of the packaging... Nowhere its says Made in anywhere on the packaging/booklet/CDs though like its usually the case...

Burningfool and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

PW seems to have a ton of cash. They just recently closed deals with Chris Isaak & Martina McBride as well. In Chris’ case, PW now has 50% ownership of his masters. The percentage in the McBride deal was not disclosed.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. NoYesMaybe

I know and, once more, I am talking out of my ass here, but I believe she was smart with her money... I doubt she sold the rights... She probably made a deal for 10 years, giving Primary Wave right to everything for that period, being promised they would reissue everything... After that, who knows... She had Chloé, she knew she might get grandkids at some point, so I am pretty sure there is something left for the future generations...

Again, pure speculation (and projection) on my part...

leicbri likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure. But you’re right, Olivia was savvy. The way she tied everything up in her final years was proof of that.

leicbri and edcw like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Yes, the list of artists they have is very impressive.

23. NoYesMaybe

No disrespect edcw but Isaac and McBride are not exactly Kanye and Adele... I don't think they are in the same bracket $$$ ... I mean, it's good they (PW) buy around B's and C's to get momentum but the real money is with A's nowadays...

24. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

leicbri, NoYesMaybe and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

I’m assuming the packaging was made in the US and the CD in Mexico. That seems to be the way nowadays.