Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Interesting comment…and it says a lot imho.

2. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

According to trademark search site here
    Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

Word Mark ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING
    Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: pre-recorded sound recordings featuring music. FIRST USE: 19770000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19770000
    Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
    Design Search Code 26.11.21 - Rectangles that are completely or partially shaded
    Serial Number 86548565
    Filing Date February 27, 2015
    Current Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Published for Opposition January 26, 2016
    Registration Number 4935037
    Registration Date April 12, 2016
    Owner (REGISTRANT) Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc. CORPORATION ILLINOIS 1811 W Bryn Mawr Ave Chicago ILLINOIS 60660
    Attorney of Record Matthew W. Walch
    Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "MASTER RECORDING" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
    Description of Mark Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the words "ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING" in a stylized font surrounded by a rectangle.
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

4-2-7 likes this.
  3. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

FWIW I don't see that. As an example, you were pretty proud of all your original Eric Clapton records in that excellent take down video. But maybe you were putting on the dog :)

4. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I don't even know what this means. I have mofi records from before this saga, and I bought FDK a couple weeks ago. In no case do I consider myself a sucker. None of them. Does that bother you?

mwheelerk and Mazzy like this.
  5. Otto Konrad

Don't feel sorry for me. I (sob) have my originals to run to!

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Otto Konrad

[​IMG]

No of course not. There is a lot subjectivity in this hobby. If you feel good, feel good.

Troyh, Starquest and Mazzy like this.
  7. playsFastForward

playsFastForward just as long as he can

Someone, get that man a thesaurus!?

Otto Konrad likes this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I am so drastically not in the mood for hunting/comparing multiple physical copies of the same LP, and chasing the dragon of shoot-outs and proclaiming and arguing over which one I prefer.

For now, while I’m still feeling the effects of a post-MoFi scandal hangover, that whole competitive game just makes me queasy. Not to mention how good hi-res streaming via Apple Music can sound when the mastering is first-rate. Apart from that, the uncomplicated luxury of owning one excellent-sounding vinyl copy of an album and never experiencing the dubious acquisitive pleasure of diligently finding a different version that “blows it away” is fine with me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  9. I love the OG Clapton records and my entire curated collection I’ve worked on for over half a century. I love it. But I’m proud of my son and the artists I represent and not my collection.

but it’s probably just different silly semantics

Curiosity and Otto Konrad like this.
  10. Otto Konrad

You actually have inspired me to deal with my jazz collection. I have around 5000 lps collected over 40 years and a lot of what I bought when I was a young man I just won't listen to now. And I have way too many pressings of the big titles. I need to bite the bullet and curate it.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Otto Konrad

Sure his set up is modest. But I really like his self confidence and directness. None of this "its just my opinion-don't get mad at me people" hedging. Its really refreshing.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

His comments about SC Toto IV are totally wrong. Likely he has a poorly resolving system. Also whatever I say about Mo-Fi and DSD they don't sound crap in general. Mo-Fi in my opinion produce a sound that will be good on bright sounding high end systems. Most can be beat by the best versions however. Obviously he favours a more lively brighter sound through whatever he is listening .

13. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Well all pleasure is dubious, especially with collecting records

Stone Turntable likes this.
  14. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

for once that cliche is probably accurate

MonkeyMan likes this.
  15. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

I’m not sure that’s true.

Doesn’t having more dead wax mean that the inner grooves have more information, and there’s less chance for distortion?

I’ve heard that sometimes records were cut closer the the label than they needed to be to make it appear that you wear getting more content for your money.

16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

It's a real thing re: physical media, not the music contained within, which "is what it is."

17. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Many more generic phrases have been trademarked.

18. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

[​IMG]
    Lots of Fremer bashing on here but I don't see Analogue Productions coming to me to get a comment on an album! This was included in an Analogue Productions album that I got in the mail today.

19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Any more than three copies of the same album, and I start twitching and getting hives, thinking I'm wasting my time.

There are a few exceptions, but generally, I don't like to double up a CD with an LP of the same thing.

Shootouts that usually end up proclaiming that _____ stomps all over _______ just leave me cold, especially when the winner is an original that is difficult to find in excellent condition, or an uber-reissue. The one case where it's pretty much true is original Steely Dan on ABC, vs. the same stuff on MCA, but that's mostly about the quality of the vinyl MCA used.

The concept of value for money in the audio world disappeared the minute people started hawking cables that cost as much as a good used car.

20. whohadd

whohadd Music, whatever media!

I’ll let them know about you for the next release. Just be sure to listen closely to those nasty digital artifacts :D

DeanoBee likes this.
  21. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

AP hype stickers are kind of silly to me. To begin with, hey are always kind of over the top. And besides, I've always thought of hype stickers as something you stick on for the people out in the stores flipping though records. Once you buy it, you don't really need all the pointless hype trying to sell it, do you? It would be different if I ever saw AP titles in stores, but I never do.

22. Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke Forum Resident

If you look at the extract from the Trademark registry some posts above it states that it is only the stylised logo not the words that are trademarked

23. DeanoBee

This was on the two page insert that Analogue Productions put in their albums, like Mofi, to advertise all their great titles

24. DeanoBee

:D:D

25. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Oh gotcha. But they still slap some crazy hype stickers on their releases.

DeanoBee likes this.