The plural of vinyl is vinyls

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That’s just one company adopting the language recognized by their target market, not really anything official. That’s part of the evolution of language, sure, but it really doesn’t mean anything beyond a company trying to effectively advertise a product.

caravan70 likes this.
  2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Of course I didn't mean "official" literally, lol. Another day on the internet.

Big Blue likes this.
  3. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

The problem is that the young people using the term "vinyls" don't care if the sound has pops, clicks, and crackle. In fact, they like it that way, because to them, that's the whole charm of the format. If they wanted perfect sound, they'd stream it on their phone.

So it's pandering to the people who won't be interested in your product -- and if they were, they'd just do it for free on their PC using Audacity -- while pissing off the people who actually might buy your product (and aren't adept enough to do it on their computer) -- if they can get over the whole "ickiness" of it converting vinyl's "pure analog audio" into digital.

4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Define “young”.

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not sure that’s true. I think a lot of them may well care about records sounding good, and they just use “vinyls” because that’s the word they know.

6. I was born in January 1974, so I'm on my way to being 50.
    I've used LP RECORDS for part of my teen years and then I moved to CD.
    Back in 2005 I returned to analogue so I bought a TT to play my LP RECORDS.
    So my music listenning is basically LP RECORDS, CD's and some SACD's (with some Hi Res files too).
    What I've never used to play my music are VINYLS and POLYCARBONATES. Do these exist or a wrong name is being used for them?

caravan70, Swann36 and Dave Decadent like this.
  7. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I’m partial to my ferric oxides myself

8. I was more into BASF real CRO2's.

caravan70, anorak2 and jfeldt like this.
  9. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I just found out that the Hungarian word for record is literally "bakelite plate" ("bakelit lemez" in Hungarian). Ignoring the fact that they've got the material slightly wrong, why not call records "bakelites" from now on and make it a trend?

[​IMG]

rischa likes this.
  10. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Or we can confound them all and just call them, say, LPs.

MGW and lazydawg58 like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I remember saying the wrong plural of vinyl in my early days in this forum and I regret that, of course.
    In fact I didn't think of it much, I probably just adopted that 'style' because I've seen it written a lot by other people before.^^

rischa and Big Blue like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My great-uncle had a headphonium.
    [​IMG]

caravan70, Swann36 and SteveFord like this.