The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ringo said the drumming on Rain was the best performance he has ever done, correct?

That isolated drum track is pretty impressive. Even unique sounding today.

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Promising.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Whoa…seriously?

4. Susan Gagne

Susan Gagne Fab4Fan since January 1964

@Sixpence what was unique about the Japanese SHM-CD box for the White Album? I hadn't heard this before and want to consider if it's worth purchasing. Thanks in advance!

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Get out while you still can!

bigbass, JimBop, ODIrony and 6 others like this.
  6. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

It's funny how different people hear different things - for me, it's "Spare rib, now memory, knock near, rip it...".
    All nonsense, but something John was capable of uttering, backwards or forwards...!!!

Lewisboogie and Past Masters like this.
  7. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

8. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

Might be even higher than that as I'd mentioned upthread -

britt2001b likes this.
  9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

It was either that or SHE SAID, SHE SAID. I forget which one but it was one of those two.

10. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Giles did this with some white album tracks as well. I thought Helter Skelter and Yer Blues we’re a little too tame on an overall very enjoyable remix. However I think he did an excellent job on Pepper, I think he went the other direction and really made the guitars rock hard!

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Welcome to the club. Pull up a chair. There's plenty of room... :righton:

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Guess waiting for reviews now.
    Any more Revolver 2022 magazine coverage like thee impressive November Mojo?

Lewisboogie and marklamb like this.
  13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, there are a faction here who like the SHMs.

I don't remember the reasoning, but I think it's something about better error correction resolution.. but this is not the place for that discussion...

Now.. .back to Revolver!
    [​IMG]

ognirats and alexpop like this.
  14. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I didn't know about this Yellow Submarine 65-second Lennon demo with alternate lyrics... the so-called "Songwriting Work Tape / Part 1".

Paul said in the Anthology documentary that he had the original idea for the song while half-asleep one night, so I would have expected him to be writing and singing the original lyrics.

By the way, I wish they had included Paul's demos for Eleanor Rigby. Those would probably be more interesting than another studio instrumental version. Same goes for Paul's and George's 1966-1969 demos for several other songs.

baitzahn and alexpop like this.
  15. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’ve only heard him mark “Rain” as his best.

fogalu and Michael Macrone like this.
  16. No one has been able to answer this despite multiple people (including me) asking the same question.

Since no one else has heard that the White Album SHM-CD box set is any different than the standard release, I think it is safe to assume that it is the same.

17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I expect that Paul dreamed the chorus and John wrote the original verse about the town.

Just had a thought this demo didn’t surface in the Lost Lennon Tapes. Maybe came from Paul’s collection?

18. alexpop

Wouldn’t have minded McCartney’s Family Way soundtrack included in Revolver 2022 cd box.. could have fitted on the blu ray.

19. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just found some more info:

The Beatles' unheard 'Revolver': exclusive look at anticipated archival release

Brace yourself: Everything we thought we knew about “Yellow Submarine” is wrong. The whole world agrees on the standard origin story—a Paul ditty whipped up fast as an Uncle Ringo kiddie chant, something John grimly tolerated. But don’t be shocked if you catch yourself shedding a tear hearing John sing it.

The chorus was Paul, but the verses started out as John in his sad confessional mode, with folkie guitar picking. He sings, “In the place where I was born / No one cared, no one cared / And the name that I was born / No one cared, no one cared.”

The demo, on his home tape recorder, is a heart-wrenching childhood memory ballad, halfway between “Julia” and “Strawberry Fields Forever.”

“I had no idea until I started going through the outtakes,” Martin says. “This was a Lennon-McCartney thing. I said to Paul, ‘I always thought this was a song that you wrote and gave to Ringo and that John was like, ‘Oh, bloody ‘Yellow Submarine’’” Not at all. That’s like a Woody Guthrie song. But it’s beautiful in a way, where you realize that there’s so much depth behind it”.

But still, what a drag to imagine a world without the Ringo version. “When you listen to the outtakes, even knowing the beauty of that John version, you know why Ringo ended up singing it,” Martin says. “And it was acutely, let’s face it, the right decision to make.”

20. alexpop

Folkie”
    Wasn’t Donovan involved with the lyrics, suggestions?

21. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

On another tack, anyone else here tried going the other way with that single, and slowing Paperback Writer down?

Man, that's a trip...

Past Masters likes this.
  22. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

what's unique about the white album shm-set!?

Fabrice Outside and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Of course, there is always the turntable slip mat!
    [​IMG]
    Immediate pre-order! (Unlike the “super deluxe” CD / LP sets - think I’ll be sitting out the pre-orders for those.)

VicSchwarz and DK Pete like this.
  24. I’m still trying to decide if I care enough about the different Get Back CD to purchase the SHM-CD Let It Be super deluxe!

marklamb likes this.
  25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Tough call. It is a legit but extremely minor variation. I got caught up in the Get Back fervor - I’ve Got a Fever - so i wasn’t responsible!