Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

did you expect perfection for $900?

2. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

3.25”

Jim0830 likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Put some soft shelf liner (felt or other) below it so as not to scuff and wear the bottom edge. Box condition will be important later on

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks Chad.

Aereoplain, JMR and jazzsurfer like this.
  5. soam

soam Forum Resident

I'm starting to get nervous about my Evans box order, which is still in 'E 'status. I placed the original order almost 4 years ago. I'm sure it is taking a long time to ship all of them out, so I'm trying to be patient and not be "that guy". :)

6. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Thank
    You're most welcome. Any time. Buy now or cry later.

Christian Evans and MonkeyTennis like this.
  7. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

A bit wider than I thought. Thank you so much. At 2 7/8 I can use my SRV Texas Flood box as a stand in for pre-planning purposes.

Thanks a point well taken.

8. Swordsandchains

id call

9. day1953

day1953 Forum Resident

Mine came yesterday and I have 2 with seam splits on the bottom and 2 others with bent corners on the lower left corner (spine side). At least the first 3 albums (6 records) play flawlessly.

10. hossafer

hossafer Forum Resident

Mine arrived today. Shipped in one their "suitcase" boxes with the handle. Everything looks great so far, no seam splits to report. Will dig into it this weekend.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  11. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

It’s actually been shipped as two parcels! One for the box and one for the other 19! :biglaugh:

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  12. ncstickman

ncstickman Forum Resident

Got mine today. After changing my diaper, I listened to WFD and Explorations. Both had stunning sound and we’re very well pressed. No seam splits to report. Box and covers were perfect.

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

MonkeyMan likes this.
  14. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I clicked that link and have now managed to turn my Discogs Japanese… with no idea how to turn it back! :doh::biglaugh:

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Click ヘルプとサポートunder ヘルプ on the top page below. Then on the next page, language select button appears upper right.

16. Jazz fan from Brazil

Jazz fan from Brazil Well-Known Member

Any more impressions on how the recordings sound? Still struggling to pay 50% more than some time ago... cry now or later? :yikes:

17. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

$600 in 2010 is the equivalent to $815 today. $900 is still a lot of money but I don’t think it’s worth agonizing over a price hike 12 years after the product was first released.

Jazz fan from Brazil and racer59 like this.
  18. Jazz fan from Brazil

Jazz fan from Brazil Well-Known Member

Good point, I guess being cheap and audiophile don't go hand in hand :)

19. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

[​IMG]

20. bjlefebvre

I had expected to have to pick the AS box up at Fed Ex given that it was skedded for delivery today and I was at the office. But apparently our Fed Ex shipper sticks to a "We don't need no stinkin' signatures" philosophy. It was just left at the door. Luckily my wife picked it up before any audiophile thieves found their way to our neighborhood.

No split seams on any of the jackets. Box and jackets are actually sturdier than I had expected. I had a few beers with colleagues before catching the train home so I'm not going to do a ton of listening tonight, but I just listened to the first Explorations disc. I had an OJC of this title. This version kicks it in the pants. Piano is clearer, bass is fuller, drums are more dynamic. Quiet, flat vinyl. Tomorrow I'll do a spot check for scratches and warps on the other records.

I was lucky in that I had OJCs to sell and some credit card incentives to use, so this was more of a sideways purchase in that way - definitely not $900 out of pocket. I'd say if you've got sufficient cash to blow on records and are into having this much Evans on vinyl and on 45rpm, this is a very nice box set. At least with this one title, it's definitely a step up from the OJCs.

But I'll also echo @Tribute and admit is a stupid amount of money in a way and the Evans music is more important than the media. If you're not in a position to spend nearly a grand in one fell swoop, there's nothing wrong with the CDs or OJCs. It's more important just to hear the music.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Bodhi, mike_c, MonkeyTennis and 10 others like this.
  21. bjlefebvre

Steve Hoffman Forums in 2035: "$1,500 for the new Bill Evans box set pressing?! Highway robbery!"

bruinuclafan likes this.
  22. bjlefebvre

Just finishing up the first LP of New Conceptions. I used to have a second mono pressing of this. The AP version has a cleaner high end than I remember being on the Riverside and the bass is more pronounced. This is always an album I return to more often than I expect to, and it sounds lovely here.

The booklet seems pretty solid - no smearing here.

23. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

That's unacceptable

MonkeyMan likes this.
  24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

anybody know if any of these are sold separately? I would love to buy this box but it ain’t happening, but would love Vanguard separately.

25. Swordsandchains

no