Ryan Adams - Devolver (Free album out now)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Sep 23, 2022.

1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

ceddy10165, EddieT, Dan33185 and 15 others like this.
  2. dtuck90

To my fans,

Today I want to say THANK YOU and I love you, in the language we speak to each other - with music.

DEVOLVER is for you, please feel free to download for free - this is your party and this album is me celebrating you.

In my darkest moments you lifted me up, creatively and personally and that love was instrumental in how I got here today, to safety and in a place of healing - one year sober.

Please accept this album as token of my appreciation for all the love you have shown me through the years, for your encouragement to continue on when I didn’t think I could and for standing with me, rebuilding this dream house brick by brick.

Sometimes the trick is to strip it all back, to keep it so simple life has a way to throw you some curb balls - to devolve back into the apeman and embrace the wild spirit in our bones.

This is that album and it has been my honour to have been given the chance to find myself and be myself fully - embracing my music and my life as it comes - in its own way - free of the patterns of the past.

So thank you. This one’s for you. You are truly loved and appreciate with all that I am.

XO
    DRA

Devolver Tracklist
    1. Don't Give It Away
    2. Stare At The TV
    3. Alien USA
    4. Banging On My Head
    5. Marquee
    6. Eyes On The Door
    7. Too Bored To Run
    8. Free Your Self
    9. Get Away
    10. I'm In Love With You
    11. Why Do You Hate Me

sortvinyl, JoeF., slosaint and 5 others like this.
  3. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

this is a pretty awesome surprise - no waiting, no $$

jut gave it a quick listen - at first glance it feels quite similar to FM: nothing earth-shattering, mostly up-tempo rockers with a nice guitar riff. it's a pity though that, same with the other records released the past two years, we don't know anything about the songs recording history. Alien USA was the title of an unreleased album recorded with Mike Viola, but this could just as well be a new song title. It's one of the better songs on the album imo. I'm not too impressed with Too Bored To Run, but I don't think I've ever heard the instagram recording.

ceddy10165 and Heart of Gold like this.
  4. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Ryan is trying to break Neil Young's record of releasing most albums in one year?

5. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Really awesome of him to do this. I'll definitely download it when I get home from work.

6. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Do we know who is playing on RA's recent releases other than him? Is he playing all of the instruments, including drums, himself?

ceddy10165 likes this.
  7. dtuck90

He says he is playing all the instruments but that’s more because he’s not associated with them anymore. It’s essentially a mix of anyone who’s played with him since 2013

ceddy10165 and bmh5879 like this.
  8. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

Downloading this as we speak. And it's a light work day. I'll be listening here shortly.

I think it's very cool of him if these songs aren't just trash. I assume it will have 2 or 3 good ones and a few average as the rest of these albums have. Making a compilation of my favorites as time goes on and it's actually getting pretty long.

bmh5879 likes this.
  9. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

Hoping I can check this out when I get home from work. The link hasn’t worked for me all day. I thought maybe it was a web traffic issue, but it seems many others are having no issue at all.

10. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

Just gave it a run through.. It's worth exactly free dollars. Nothing to review really. Just B Sides from FM IMO. The opening track is a good rock tune. I will likely listen 3 or 4 times. Too Bored To Run is the only other listenable track on here. It's not great though. I think whatever this FM sound is, is worse than his 80's sound. It's just bland and boring.

bmh5879 and jumpinjulian like this.
  11. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

yeah it seems like him having his own recording studio is becoming more and more a curse rather than a blessing. he can record any little ditty that springs from his mind, resulting in a ****load of songs and albums. but on the other hand he's no longer forced to hire studio time and producer, and come up with 10-12 excellent tunes to record, release, promote and tour.

He's proven that he can still put in the effort if he wants to. Some of the stuff on R&J and Wednesdays is up there with his best pre-2005 stuff, but it's becoming scarcer and scarcer

bmh5879 and otherdimension like this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I vaguely recall hearing that he was having difficulty finding a label deal. I don't know much about Ryan, but my guess is he's...difficult? Someone here will know the whole story. I will check out this release, thanks for posting it!:)

13. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I just made a 12 song 39 minute album out of the four 2022 releases. I used my three favorite songs from every release and as an album it's still weak.

I think the performances are just kind of flat. Some of the songs could potentially be very good if there was more of a band dynamic present.

14. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

If there’s no Blu-ray, it’s a hard pass for me.

Oh, wait…

ceddy10165, JSKC, dee and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Interested in your list, if you are so inclined.

16. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Keep in mind two things.

I grouped all three songs from each album together and there was zero thought about flow. I wasn't trying to create a real album, just a compilation.

Secondly, I'm a big fan of "Rock n Roll" era Ryan.

Take It Back
    About Time
    Schizophrenic Babylon

Rollercoaster
    I Can't Remember
    Run

I Want You
    Hall Of Shame
    Someday

Eyes On The Door
    Too Bored To Run
    Why Do You Hate Me

17. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Thanks for the quick response @stoneknuckle :righton:

I haven't delved into any of the 2022 releases but have done similar comps of years of similarly frenzied activity from RA. I am also a Rock N Roll era fan so your picks may be spot on for me.

stoneknuckle likes this.
  18. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus.

First of all, great artwork. On base of the title, I thought this would be Ryan’s Beatles influenced album. But I was wrong. 2022 is pretty much more miss than hit for me. I loved some tracks on Romeo and Juliet, but I can’t remember anything from Chris or FM. On first listen, Devolver sounds less dense than the other too, but overall I’m more interested in his singer songwriter work than this.

bmh5879 and stefjnl like this.
  19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Just downloaded, sounds great. Thanks for the freebie Ryan!

20. fleshtone

fleshtone Well-Known Member

Downloaded and listened. For me it’s my favorite of the 4 releases this year. Fun listen, like the upbeat tempo and it’s easy to listen to.
    Keep in mind:
    My favorite Of his historically are; Self titled, Love is Hell and 1989 (yeah I know). And of course Stranger’s Almanac.
    I have only listened in the car and on the bicycle with AirPods. My home system is vinyl only so will wait for that in 10 years if ever.
    I always prefer full band type of material.
    RF

21. flashpapr

flashpapr Forum Resident

6 of the songs on here at leftovers from the self-titled/Shining Band era, so makes sense that you're enjoying based on your favourites.

ceddy10165 and fleshtone like this.
  22. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Great songwriter and musician. A+ Thanks!

23. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I can help but think he’s doing himself a disservice by releasing all this B-list material that would test even the most hardcore fan. At this point in his career, where he’s trying to make a return, blasting a plethora of material that’s overwhelming to get though seems an odd approach.

ceddy10165, Bob Lamonta and bmh5879 like this.
  24. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Better now than 20 years down the line as a limited edition boxed set.

25. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

He’s probably got 10 box sets worth of songs just from 2000-2010 alone.

paulbright81 likes this.