'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Speaking of reissues of Coltrane’s Atlantic catalog , anyone have and could comment on the Rhino 2003 KG stereo of Giant Steps?

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Maybe not what’s you are looking but I have the 2-LP Deluxe edition and I think it is superb.
    Did this use an analog or a digital source?
    Anyone knows?
    I have a few early (OG) Atlantic copies of Giant Steps and the Deluxe is my to-go copy. Also the whole album presentation with the booklet and the poster is really nice.

Aeryn Sun and rcsrich like this.
  3. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

That's the one I have and it's excellent. There is some distortion on side 2, I don't know if it's a tape thing or a pressing thing but it's there. Most offensive on Naima. Mastering is wonderful though.

mktracy and rcsrich like this.
  4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Thanks- I’ll add that to my list of possibilities!

5-String likes this.
  5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Thanks for the opinion! I have the more recent mono reissue which I think is cut from digital- sounds quite good, but as I’ve said before, I’m more of a stereo guy if there’s a good pressing available for not too dear a price.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

A happy Friday to one and all. Fall weather has arrived along with my copies of the Charles Lloyd "Trios: Ocean" and the new 2-LP version of AIC "Dirt". Talk about two records with so much in common, hard to know where to start. Might be best to start off with the Charles Lloyd before I mellow out with "Dirt" later on over a couple cold ones...

7. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I pre-ordered the Mono Blue Train from Amazon, surprised when I received the Stereo copy lol. I wasn't interested in the extra disc and higher price of the Stereo, happy to have it for the $33.49 preorder price! Beautiful package with the booklet neatly and firmly attached inside the gatefold. Very minor dish warp on one disc, certainly nothing I'm concerned about.

recstar24, mktracy, scotti and 3 others like this.
  8. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Bonus! :D

9. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I have this one, which is Kevin Gray for Rhino but not sure which year (I bought it used like nearly 10 years ago). It sounds great, with one major caveat: There's some major infill-type distortion on B1. A lot of people have complained bout the distortion, though it seems to come in at different places (mainly Side B) on different records. The TP Blue Train started nudging me to find a better copy.

Dignan2000, mktracy and rcsrich like this.
  10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Yeah…being primarily a headphone listener, I always approach “problem “ pressings with trepidation. I’ll need to keep that in mind.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

If I may ask, why is it you primarily listen on headphones? Young kids at home or just your preference of how you like to listen to music. Of course I support how anyone likes to listen and realize there are some really nice sounding ones out there. I have always been more of a speakers kind of guy, but actually still remember the last time I listened to a record from start to finish on a pair of headphones, it was early March 1983.

12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have this one: John Coltrane - Giant Steps

I haven't listened to it in a long time, but remember that it sounded great. I'll pull it for a spin later.

Dignan2000, mktracy and rcsrich like this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

I have never been a headphone liustener. They start to hurt my earlobes after a while. I don't even have capability to use headphones on my system.

magnet, 420JJJazz666, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Good question! It started I suppose with the pandemic and working from home- my wife was working in the next room, so not really reasonable to crank music all day at decent listening levels. I also find it more immersive I guess. And I love my open-backed Grados…very comfortable.

mackeyse, Crazysteve, Aegir and 9 others like this.
  15. I have the Coltrane mono srx so I skipped getting another mono but I picked up the stereo.

the stereo is really great and I now prefer it over the mono.

16. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

okay i’ll pick up the mono!
    stream the sessions.
    already have a stereo copy .

ETSEQ likes this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice, as I also now prefer this new stereo version. One thing I would add is that the mono Tone Poet turned out as good as the SRX to my ears and delivers a bit of a different listening experience. It's got a little more kick to it almost making it more fun to listen to in a way.

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

The 2-cd compilation "Introducing Kenny Burrell: The First Blue Note Sessions" (2000) includes indeed three Kenny Burrell Blue Note LPs. However and not due to time restraints. it strangely does not include (and the LP back sleeve notes reproduced in the 2-cd set omit the relevant paragraph) one track from the Kenny Burrell LP BLP-1543 (to be reissued in the TP series) - the track "Mexico City" which was recorded live at the Cafe Bohemia while all other tracks were recorded in studio. This version of "Mexico City" and another one recorded also at the Cafe Bohemia were included in the 2-cd set of Kenny Dorham's 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  19. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

My copies of BT are out for delivery!

Expect some very halfassed shootout results this weekend.

rcsrich and scotti like this.
  20. DrSmyslov

DrSmyslov Forum Resident

Juno have the Stereo version of Blue Train at £39.50, only £1 more than they're charging for the mono. Might be worth grabbing it before they work out what they've done?!

Porkpie, mr.dave, scotti and 2 others like this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

Woohoo...my big rottie boy Brahms did OK on his trial run at the kennel, so now we know we can board him there. That means we're going to Denver to see the Charles Lloyd Ocean trio Nov. 8. Exciting. I can't wait.

Lamus, Dignan2000, charlesp and 7 others like this.
  22. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Why ass it all the way when you can ass it half, I say. Happy Friday everyone! :edthumbs:

5-String, YouCantWin and scotti like this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They'd gone out of stock within 30 minutes of putting that up on Sunday, so I assumed they'd realised the mistake and that was it, can't believe they are listing it again, they can't be making anything on it, I've ordered one though. :righton:

24. BRick

BRick Forum Resident

I'm just wondering what's going on at Elusive Disc, where my order status is "awaiting fulfillment."

I assume this means they don't have it yet. Sure seems like everyone else does.

25. headtheory

headtheory Forum Resident