David Bowie - New Live/Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EfWe, Nov 18, 2021.

1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I've never quite understood the appeal of the show, purely based on the music. I guess it being the last Spiders Show, it being filmed, plus guest appearances make people want it. The band wasn't representative of the Ziggy/Aladdin Sane tour and apparently Ronson's guitar was out of tune, which in itself is strange given who he is, the importance of the registration and the number of guitar players at hand that could have pointed it out to him. So soundwise there will likely never be an ideal release, plus of course the label's idea of drip feeding fans live shows by releasing incomplete versions of the same shows, yet adding the extra track or two each round (David Live, Stage, BBC 2000).

Patrol and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Agree, just give us Loreley/Phoenix 96 DVD combo, Earls Court 78 BD and a compilation of live TV performances from 1969-2004 on VHS.

Colocally and pobbard like this.
  3. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

To each its own, indeed, we all have our favourite Bowie-era. I'm only interested in his 69-74 stuff and I think the Spiders were the best rock band he ever had with him. His voice during his early years was also the best he ever had... But IMHO of course !

TeddyB likes this.
  4. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

@smiley69
    Have you heard Bowie's vocals on Stage?

5. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Apparently, after Morgen made the comment about not liking anything after Let’s Dance, Bowie eyed him and replied, “Touché.” (Or so Morgen recounted on a recent podcast.)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Vagabond, Tanx, Azorbz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm going to watch it again on Monday. Since this needs to be experienced in a proper cinema.
    Which was a rather common criticism directed at Bowie so that's probably more like a tribute to the man. :uhhuh:

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Fantastic. And probably a huge I influence for Goth singers. The time was right! 1978! :righton:

Max Florian and Patrol like this.
  8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

You'd think Mr. Brett "cut-up culture" Morgen would jump at a chance to show the DB/NIN transition from 1995. Especially if he doesn't care that the tourists have no idea what they're watching. Found this randomly inserted into my algorithm this morning by YouTube: (YouTube is my Brett Morgen!)

(Basically a taste of the turn from NIN to NIN/DB to DB at one 1995 show. Posted 2017).

Bret's assistant: "Hey, Brett. You were looking for a way to include even more 'Hallo Spaceboy'? I think we have a solution."

Brett: "We're gonna go with moar escalator, thanks"

This tour was so awesome. I was a complete NIN tourist (as big as they were in 1994) and scored a GA pit ticket outside the venue night-of for the *monstrous* sum of $30.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not the film's biggest fan, but I want to follow-up every "Nah, I'll watch it at home." post with "Don't do that." As Courtney Love once said of cheese: "If you're gonna have it, cut it up and take it on a picnic to have it with some wine or something. Really enjoy it. Don't MELT it on stuff."

Max Florian, Bassist, Tanx and 2 others like this.
  10. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Not a lot because I'm not fond of this musical style... And from the few I've heard, his voice weren't as hich pitched than before 1974 which is the one I prefer... Just a matter of taste ;)

11. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The use of recurring imagery (the escalator) comes near the start and end of the film as a thematic echo at the films conclusion of the themes opened at the beginning. it's not because of a lack of available footage.

12. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Nothing expresses solitude better than an English man riding an escalator, alone, in an Asian airport under harsh lighting. Albert Camus said that.

13. Patrol

Patrol Forum Resident

Also when everyone else has black hair and they are staring at you because yours is luminous yellow you might tend not to feel part of the crowd.

14. Patrol

Patrol Forum Resident

I've only just found out that an OST has been released for this (I've been giving Bowie a rest for a bit) but why the heck are they releasing it on streaming and DD only and delaying the CD til November 18th?

It can't be because of pressing plant delays this time...maybe they want people to buy it twice?

supernaut and Dominic jefferson like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So his next film will apologize for the apology? :D

Also seems odd it's his "apology" for claiming he'd never heard Bowie's later work when he either implicitly condemns the material - ie, that "Bowie's a sell out!" 80s montage - or he ignores it, as he basically leaves 15 years of Bowie's work off the table. :shrug:

16. Oatsdad

1995 really was a Bowie diehard dream. He's had better bands/played better on other tours, but those setlists! :love:

And I became a big NIN fan across the 11 shows I saw. I knew of them but don't think I'd actually heard any of their songs until I saw the Bowie/NIN double bill...

17. Oatsdad

Lotsa people seem to be "YOU GOTTA WATCH IT ON A HUGE SCREEN!!!" but I don't agree.

Mainly because so much of the footage looks like crap. And it looks crappier on a big screen than on a small screen.

For every "hey, that looks good!" piece - mainly the 1978 concert film - there's 5 shots that look mediocre to terrible, and the large screen amplifies those flaws.

The excessively loud volume doesn't help either! :help:

18. Oatsdad

Coincidentally, I just got an email from the Bowie official site offering a code for $10 off movie tickets through Fandango.

Even if I'd not already gone, it'd do me no good, as I pay for AMC A-List membership and don't have to pay for individual movies.

But maybe it'll get others a deal!

19. Number1TheLarch

Number1TheLarch Forum Resident

"I was wearing makeup... I had lightning bolts on my wanger!" :biglaugh:

Chris Bernhardt, jhm and citizensmurf like this.
  20. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I love this line:

"Your signals weak on my radar screen. How far out are you man?
    I'm pretty far out. That's pretty far out."

21. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Yes, it's what inspired Jamiroquai's 'Travellating Without Moving' album.

22. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I hope that ‘78 footage of Station to Station makes the bluray as a bonus feature. I’m guessing it’s the version from Welcome to the Blackout, which is fantastic.

Happy to have this video by Nacho in the meantime, with audio sourced from Stage.

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

A fan on BWW MB posted he complained about the video quality, using the email address that's apparently in the end credits, and then received an immediate refund :agree:

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Ha ha - that's hilarious! :laugh:

Though kinda silly, as no one should expect the movie to look better than it does.

So much of the footage was always ugly. Not much could be done about it! :)

supernaut, Bassist and Colocally like this.
  25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Thing is, a forum like this always has the same 10-15 people complaining. The ones who actually enjoys it, usually pop in for a talk as well, but leaves again fairly quickly, as they are attacked by the small amount of people telling them they are either ‘wrong’ or are arguing until people becomes tired.

This thread is no different.