The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Brace yourself for enduring this exciting lede in hundreds of reviews about to be published.

2. Schmevil

Schmevil Average Beatles Enjoyer

I have the 45 and I slow it down to 33 1/3 sometimes.

ODIrony, dee and Beatle Ed 2021 like this.
  3. Past Masters

Past Masters Beatles Fanthologist

I'd like to know that too...

Still haven't got my LIB CD set because I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra to get the one from Japan. But it's not all of them that have the unique content, right? Only the early ones?

4. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

Yes, the later Japanese sets also have an indicator if they were repressed with the world wide content

marklamb and Past Masters like this.
  5. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

It's pretty amazing that with the Lost Lennon Tapes being so exhaustive, this never saw the light of day. I don't recall it being mentioned on any level anywhere. A truly spectacular find. Conversely, the 'She Said' demo we've had for over thirty years is truncated for some reason. Less than half of it appears on the set and for the life of me I can't understand why

6. Susan Gagne

Susan Gagne Fab4Fan since January 1964

The EANs the imusic site lists are the same as those for 5 CD/Vinyl Japanese editions on the CDJapan website, so your typo theory is probably correct. FYI, CDJapan is selling the 5CD SHM box with a B2-size Revolver poster until they run out, and they're also selling the Picture LP from the Beatles' Japan store with a sticker sheet, again, until they're gone. Their listings have pictures of the poster and sticker sheet.

Revolver (Special Edition (5CD Super Deluxe)) [SHM-CD] [Limited Edition] The Beatles CD Album

Revolver (Special Edition (1LP Picture Disc)) [Limited Edition] [Import Disc] w/ THE BEATLES STORE JAPAN Bonus: Sticker Sheet The Beatles Vinyl (LP)

oldtinears, ognirats and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  7. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Very true! It’s easy forget the era when one box ser after the other appeared and the Beatles had these ancient looking bog standard cds. I was especially jealous of releases like the Pet Sounds box set..a treasure cheat full of outtakes and remixed in great stereo sound!

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Weekend my side of the pond.
    Any related news ( today oh boy)?

marklamb, ODIrony and hidlive like this.
  9. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

Yes. As a matter of the fact I should be doing exponentiation in algebra instead of a using audio discussion message board.

10. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

I think error correction is something that can only improve the most scratched of the compact discs.

It would be nice if Apple were to do a less compressed stereo master for the SHMCD but the chance of that happening is low. Most likely it would just be a non-downsampled equally compressed digital stream

11. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

Error correction just makes sure CDs are read correctly. It has absolutely nothing to do with audio quality. It either makes the disc readable or not. Allegedly improving error correction through the manufacturing process has ZERO effects on sound quality. Whoever hears a difference is a victim of the placebo effect and confirmation bias. But in the world of audiophiles, where so many people seem to believe in pseudoscience and snake oil, there will always be folks ready to buy anything and stand by it.

12. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Kevin Howlett says that the backing was originally played in Bb. Which makes it 3 semitones down. Well, a bit more than 3 as the released version is not exactly in G but is slightly flat, IIRC.

jtiner, Bern, paul62 and 2 others like this.
  13. baitzahn

baitzahn Forum Resident

Is that really plausible? Capo on I?

Past Masters and Gila like this.
  14. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

In the past few years I have occasionally read about several 1966-1969 demos that have not surfaced yet, such as:

Eleanor Rigby (just a few seconds available)

She Said She Said (a couple of minutes available from a 25-minute tape)

Art Of Dying

Within You Without You

Here Comes The Sun

Golden Slumbers

Not to mention stuff we don't know about, such as this Yellow Submarine tape... plus a lot of pre-1966 demos, some of which we are aware of:

Misery (January/February 1963 band demo taped at a local studio, possibly in Liverpool)

Do You Want To Know A Secret (1963 Lennon acoustic guitar demo)

It's Different With Me (1963 Lennon piano demo)

From Me To You (1963 Lennon demos: 'a capella' and faux-French versions)

Nobody I Know (January 1964 Lennon demo)

A World Without Love (January 1964 McCartney demo, a few seconds are available)

It's For You (June 1964 McCartney acoustic guitar demo)

No Reply (1964 band demo)

In My Life (1965 Lennon demo)

What Goes On (1965 McCartney drums/bass/lead guitar demo)

etc.

15. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Reading abit of the review in the new Mojo magazine The Yellow Submarine demo sung by John sounds very interesting, sounds stripped back acoustic and quite sad lyrics, some of the lyrics are in the mag, Macca says on the track ‘it’s abit sad isn’t it’ so it says in there, comes with a print as well which is quite nice, must be one of the images from the deluxe book in the set, think it’s the Paperback Writer video shot.

16. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

It's a little quieter but it's far from buried.

17. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

It will be easy enough to work out the exact amount once we get the tracks - if the quicker take 5 has some chat at the beginning and the slower take 5 doesn't have the chat at the beginning, then my calculation will be wrong (and the quicker take 5 would need to be slowed down by a greater amount...!!!).

18. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Bloody Giles!! He's done it again! The 26th Paul face in row three, from top dead centre and going clockwise, is not the same level of brightness as the others. He's buried him in the mat!! Unplayable now! Horrible. Cash grab............... :mudscrying:

joemarine, Carl80, mrzpliff and 6 others like this.
  19. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Could be a capo.
    Or guitars tuned one semitone higher?
    It could very well be capo on third fret fret and played in "G".

20. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

That's what I meant, but I worded it badly. I mean improve as in playback not sound quality

Past Masters likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Beatles For Sale 2024 ( 60th anniversary)
    Outtakes / different mixes ?

marklamb likes this.
  22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I think that's the first time I've seen the source photo for the Revolver back cover! Much more often, I'll see similar photos from the same roll of film. Same goes for the Beatles for Sale cover photo.

Apparently, back in the day, 44.1 kH was chosen as the sound resolution for CDs because scientific tests showed the human ear cannot discern resolution higher than that, but there's still a market for higher-res formats.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  23. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

If you have both Get Back b**tlegs you have the unique content I think.

Past Masters likes this.
  24. Past Masters

Past Masters Beatles Fanthologist

That's an excellent point. How much of an upgrade was there in sound quality I wonder...?

Keith V likes this.
  25. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

It also had to do with the speed at which U-matic tapes ran in both 60Hz and 50Hz regions. PCM converters recorded onto video tape back then. 44.1kHz was a good compromise between audio quality and convenience considering the equipment they had to work with.