The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Past Masters

Past Masters Beatles Fanthologist

Wow that is a tantalizing list.

Demos are so cool to hear, obviously not because of the sound quality, but because they offer a special glimpse into the creative process. They can be really magical, capturing some of these classic songs right at the moment of inspiration. Also it can be interesting to see how different they are from the finished songs.

John's two demos from '63 are gems. So glad we got those on the copyright release. Glad we got the Esher demos too, and now it seems like we are in for a treat with Yellow Submarine. But the SFF demos are hauntingly beautiful and will always be my favourites.

2. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Yes, I’m pretty sure he’s referring to the experience of sitting in a control room at Abbey Road playing back the original multi tracks or the stereo masters. ( probably the digital transfer of them)

Square Hammer and Past Masters like this.
  3. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Makes you wonder why weren't any of these demos included in the Anthology series?

Any info on the source of this YS "songwriting tape"? Was it recorded in Abbey Road, Cavendish, Kenwood or? If there's more where that's coming from, then it would truly be Beatles holy grail, to witness the evolution of those songs!

4. The age I was when Revolver was released. It was the first stereo album I bought, and I wore that sucker out.

ognirats and Past Masters like this.
  5. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Great to have some "fresh blood" participate! (Says the forum member who has kids that are twice your age)

6. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Where did you hear about all of these?

I’d love to hear them all.

I’m guessing all of the Lennon demo’s were given to Paul & are the only copies that exist & come from his own collection.

I’m particularly intrigued by: It's Different With Me (1963 Lennon piano demo). Is anything more known about this song?

7. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

:laughup:

GimiSomeTruth, BeatleJWOL and zobalob like this.
  8. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

One of my favorite movies and the soundtrack is brilliant. Bought the album soon after "Revolver" in early 1967, if I remember correctly.
    I can't see it on a Revolver edition though. ;)

9. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I'd never heard of this till right now. Very good or more of a curiosity?

Past Masters likes this.
  10. Past Masters

Past Masters Beatles Fanthologist

Listen for yourself! The whole album is pretty similar. Lots of "variations on a theme" IIRC.

11. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I always associate The Family Way soundtrack with the Revolver/Sgt Pepper/White Album period. Also, the movie is one of my all-time favorites so I'm probably biased.

One of the themes from this movie, "Love in the Open Air" won an Ivor Novello award for McCartney in 1968.
    It's available on YouTube if you want to give it a listen.

Edit: Just saw that Past Masters has posted a link above.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I doubt enough to Need it. Wait. What forum am I in? :D

Lewisboogie, ODIrony and Past Masters like this.
  13. hidlive

hidlive made you look

None of em liked going through archival material if it was "boring".

1989: "John singing, ‘Leave My Kitten Alone’ is the top thing of the unreleased stuff,” McCartney said of the song that some Beatles fans have acquired via bootlegged copies. The rest of the material is “inferior,” he said."

1996: "After [George Harrison] had joked that after Volume 3, anything else should be called ‘Scraping The Barrel,‘ George Martin said, ‘Yeah, we’d have to put a government health warning on it!‘"

And I distinctly remember having read a mid-2000s interview in which Ringo complains about fans wanting more outtakes, and him not understanding why.

14. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

It’s understandable, albeit, a bit annoying. They were at work, creating something together and probably completely underestimate the importance of their ‘works in progress’ as they aren’t the finished article. But to people like us, they’re an insight into the art and the artist.

15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

And Donovan contributed two lines!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

As a fan and formerly aspiring songwriter/musician, it boggles my mind how these guys can’t understand how the evolution of these incredible records is of great interest to fans. They like to act and talk on how they want to connect with their fans, blah blah..but in a number of ways, they’re in their own bubble and have very little idea what their fans want or why.

17. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

I get it, but I don’t like it.

DK Pete likes this.
  18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Another clue for you all. ;)

19. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I got most of that info from interviews and a few books, such as:

Many Years From Now (Paul's semi-autobiography)

The Art & Music of John Lennon (by Peter Doggett)

The Unreleased Beatles: Music & Film (by Richie Unterberger)

(also the book included in the deluxe 50th anniversary box of All Things Must Pass)

20. No

Lewisboogie likes this.
  21. slane

slane Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the lead lines are played in the A chord position. The 'Complete Tab' book even went as far as dropping the top E string down to D to play them (as per the record key).

NumberEight, Onder, nikh33 and 2 others like this.
  22. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

They can't even give us a bluray on this one.

23. steepien

steepien Forum Resident

Isn't there also a 1968 studio demo of "The Long and Winding Road" as well? I remember hearing a story where Paul recorded it and then gave away the acetate to someone, but I can't find any more info about it.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Maybe
    RS gets the 5.1 treatment.

25. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

And autographs. Peace and love. But no

hidlive likes this.