Steely Dan on AP SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

You think record companies would have realized by now that putting restrictions on how people can access a product just feeds piracy.

Kundalini, VQR, WhatDoIKnow and 5 others like this.
  2. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Not to mention the loss in sales & hence profit.

We're supposed to live in a global economy.

3. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

We don't. Trade relationships are subject to national or union law, and licensing of copyrighted material is certainly not the easiest case.

MrCJF likes this.
  4. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

Forgive me for dreaming, but I have this fantasy where Katy Lied gets a Steven Wilson 5.1 & Stereo remix set. I know it'll neve happen, but I can dream, can't I? In the meantime, I'll likely spring for the Katy Lied SACD.

VQR, emmodad, JDeanB and 3 others like this.
  5. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

That would be....wonderful. Throw in CTE and PL too.
    I too am getting the SACDs

Plan9 and bluerondo like this.
  6. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Before these Analogue Production releases were announced I had a dream that the Steely Dan catalogue would get the same treatment as the Jethro Tull catalogue with each album getting the anniversary treatment with the book style packaging and remixes--plus any bonus material on hand. Oh well. I guess these LPs and SACDs will have to do.

7. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

I agree wholeheartedly. Speaking of bonus material, I added “Here At the Western World” at the end of my Royal Scam album, since it came from the sessions for that album and since it’s such a great song.

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Did you add FM to the end of the Aja album too?

bluerondo likes this.
  9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just be thankful physical music product has never been region-locked the way DVD's and Blu-ray's were.

10. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

Why, how did you know? Yes, I most certainly did. It's a wonderful song, and I never listen to single cuts, so it made sense to me to add it to Aja.

11. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

But which did you add, the 45 version at 3:40, or the soundtrack LP version at 4:50, and did you include the reprise = 2:53? Or are there other versions out there? :D

12. dsdfan99

dsdfan99 New Member

Can the new Analogue Productions Steely Dan remasters be purchased as DSD downloads? I already bought the four Steely Dan SACD's of Aja, Gaucho, Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic, as well as the original uncompressed CDs of Can't Buy A Thrill, Katy Lied, Royal Scam, Pretzel Logic and Aja. The DSD download option would save the buyer hefty international shipping charges, wait times, storage space and the hassle of optical media. I imagine that many buyers today prefer to purchase their music through internet downloads and listen and store their music libraries on music servers.

13. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

I guess the question (currently unanswerable with the objective data) I have is:
    what do these forthcoming remasters offer that is unique or an improvement from the original Japan-for-US CD issues?
    This is currently a rhetorical question until these have been released and we can objectively compare. Stating only for posterity (not interested in guesses or suppositions). Thanks!

dsdfan99 and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  14. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

They used to offer downloads, although I'm not quite sure if they did internationally.

not any more

I haven't bought anything from acoustic sounds since, but I may be making an exception with Can't Buy A Thrill in November.

dsdfan99 likes this.
  15. dsdfan99

dsdfan99 New Member

Waiting too see if these new Steely Dan DSD re-masters are significantly improved compared to the current Steely Dan SACDs and original CDs.

Thank you, Rigoberto.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I heard back from Acoustic Sounds and they stated that the nine Steely Dan SACDs will be stereo only. Not surprising but it would have been nice if the 5.1 mixes from the last three albums were included. Really appreciate the staff from AS taking the time to respond to my inquiry as quick as they did.

Budley, WhatDoIKnow, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  17. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I asked them the same thing but have not heard back yet. Too bad about their poor decision.

JDeanB and Plan9 like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Grundman mastering is one unique aspect (except for Aja, where he mastered the original).

Shvartze Shabbos and fatwad666 like this.
  19. theaveragecoffee

theaveragecoffee Forum Resident

The crazy thing is that a PL 5.1 already exists. It was done by Elliot Scheiner. There’s an old interview where it’s mentioned:

HT Talks To . . . Elliot Scheiner Steely Dan DVD-Audio Update

Sadly it’s never been released. Why not Apple Music/Tidal??? Come on dudes!!

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I could see each Dan album being a 2cd set, but not really beyond that…unless there are 5.1 and/or vintage Quad mixes. One thing I’d really like to hear, is the unreleased first mix of Katy Lied.

All these years, I’ve gotten by, with my Decade Of disc and Citizen box. Do I order these AP’s or go after the 1980’s US discs…hmm!

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Decisions. Decisions. The Japan for USA disks all sound pretty good. I have them. But I'm a big Steely Dan fan, and I'm betting that these new Analogue Prod. LPs/SACDs are going to be the final word for at least some of the albums. We shall see.

AL01 and pool_of_tears like this.
  22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’m kinda anxious! What are the matrix/catalog numbers for the Japan for USA discs? Do the back of the cd cases have the plaid artwork or are they different?

23. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have all the Japan for USA Steely Dan CDs. The Aja and Gaucho Japan for USA CDs will be VERY hard to beat. However, I feel that the last two albums will likely be beat. As for the first five, there is room for imporovment, so we will have to see.

It's good they are doing the first album first, as I feel that will be a good measuring stick.

yasujiro and Musicisthebest like this.
  24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Can't Buy A Thrill
    MCAD 37040 DIDX 369 (catalogue number)
    MCAD 37040 S3C7 (CD hub numbers)

Countdown To Ecstasy
    MCAD 37041 DIDX 372
    MCAD 37041 (??? I can't read the rest.)

Pretzel Logic
    MCAD 37042 DIDX 371
    MCAD 37042 S201

Katy Lied
    MCAD 37043 DIDX 373
    MCAD 37043 S1E3

The Royal Scam
    MCAD 37044 DIDX 370
    MCAD 37044 U2E1

Aja
    MCAD 37214 DIDX 55
    MCAD 37214 M2E1S

Gaucho
    MCAD 37220 DIDX56
    DIDX-56 11A7 ++++

All CDs have "Manufactured in Japan for MCA Records, Inc." printed on them.
    Jewel cases have smooth top edge.

ispace, Fractured and RnRmf like this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Are all the albums on sacd coming out at the same time? I think November 2022 was mentioned as a release date or is that wrong?