Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Super Deluxe Edition - 11 LPs/1CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rhino4evr, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I pre-ordered on April 19 -- I assume that was on or around the date it was announced -- and I ordered the 8-CD box. These may have been quicker to produce and ship than the LP sets.
    Yes, I will!

2. tstrapac

tstrapac Forum Resident

Thank you, I think you might be right about CD vs LP shipping.

3. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

That was the part I was originally going to quote too! Along with:

(Bold emphasis mine)

Take the names out and forget any of the politics of Jay vs. Jeff vs. Jim, I'm just fascinated by the amount of great music they were recording as a "really good rock band" as Jeff says, and that the YHF record was just a small, stylistically unified portion of that.

4. Sean Murdock

5. Sean Murdock

6. Sean Murdock

Haven't really looked at the book yet, other than to take these pics. It looks like the interviews and story-telling are going to be great. My only complaint about the whole set (so far) is the absolute lack of recording details, take numbers, etc. on the outtakes -- what you see in the last photo I posted is literally all we get.

7. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Wow! So that’s the CD SDE, right? That looks 12x12. Is it that big? I assumed it would be on the scale of Summerteeth, just a great deal thicker.

8. Sean Murdock

Yeah, it's the CD box -- it's a biggie, 12.5" x 12.5".

Also, for the curious, since I didn't take a picture of it, the last two pages of the book are the thick cardboard pages with slots for the CDs, which are in thin cardboard sleeves.

CharlieClown, jalexander and Zeki like this.
  9. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Thick cardboard pages with slots for the CDs (housed) in thin cardboard sleeves? I have a problem visualizing that...

10. jhg0626

jhg0626 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be somewhat late to the party (this thread) but I pre-ordered just the standard 2-lp set back when it was first announced and could not be more excited to put the album on my turntable.

YHF is a personal all-time favorite album of mine for a couple of reasons. 1) It was “released” (I put it together via random mp3s from Napster) right when I was getting into underground or non-mainstream music in 2001 and 2) the songwriting is so well constructed, performances perfectly executed, and production so meticulous that even you don’t like the music, it still sounds good.

For me, this album, more than Kid A, does a near-perfect job of encapsulating the excitement, anxiety, and dread of the 21st century, post-9/11 world.

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That’s the book?! Wow.

CharlieClown likes this.
  12. Sean Murdock

I probably described it poorly, because I've seen this method of storing the CDs in many, many box sets. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

13. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

I gotta give credit where credit is due: this amazing and beautiful 8-CD set is in my hands, delivered safely and lovingly packaged by Kung-Fu, eights days before official street date! Thanks, Wilco and Kung-Fu!!!

14. Sean Murdock

Congrats -- and enjoy!

15. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Yet created in the pre 9/11 world so how could Tweedy create something so stunning like Ashes of American Flags ? It is my absolute favorite Wilco album.

16. Otis1974

Otis1974 Forum Resident

I received my 8 CD boxset from Kung Fu yesterday. I wasn't really expecting it so soon but I guess it doesn't hurt that I live about 30 miles from where Kung Fu is located.
    I was surprised at it's size as I assumed it would be the same size as the "Summerteeth" and "Being There" CD sets but it is a big, heavy, 12x12 beautiful monster.

I have yet to tear off the plastic and peak inside as I am waiting for the weekend when my wife and kids will be out of town and it will just be me and my old beagle and we can play the CDs as loud as we want without being interrupted.

JayB, KDubATX, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Really strong art design by the looks of it. And the price when compared to the soon-to-be-released Revolver deluxe, well…

Clonesteak likes this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’m jealous of the Kung-Fu deliveries! I just double-checked my Amazon account and nothing has changed. Still says October 7-10.

19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I had a similar issue with the recent Pink Floyd Animals remix. My scheduled delivery date was a week or two after the release date, even though I pre-ordered a month or two in advance. As the release date approached, I noticed that Amazon's estimate for delivery for new orders was for the release date, though my estimate never moved up. So I cancelled my pre-order, re-ordered and received it on day 1.

Looks like the 8-CD version of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has a delivery estimate of Sept 30, so you may try doing the same, especially if the price is the same.

Zeki likes this.
  20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

No luck here. I just canceled, per your suggestion, and reordered. Same delivery date of October 7-10. (Damn it!)

21. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Weird. Does the Amazon page show an estimate of Sept 30 for you as you're browsing? Oh, I forgot to ask if you're a Prime member, as I'm sure that's a factor too.

Oh well, no harm done at least. Maybe it'll still get moved up.

I'm also amazed at these orders that have been received more than a week before the release date. Meanwhile, I'm anxiously awaiting my socks.

Zeki likes this.
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, it does show September 30th so I’m hoping it will get moved up.

JAuz likes this.
  23. CharlieClown

CharlieClown Forum Resident

Thanks for posting @Sean Murdock

I’m pleasantly surprised at the size of the CD set and the accompanying book. One of the factors that was pushing me towards one of the vinyl sets was the book itself as I assumed the CD one would be a smaller replica of the larger vinyl equivalent but these photos suggest they’ll be the same.

I still have to decide…

jalexander and Sean Murdock like this.
  24. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Would love to know what outtakes, demos etc. jump out at you Sean when time permits! Waiting for mine here..

Sean Murdock and Gonzo-a-gogo like this.
  25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Looking at those photos has made me officially excited to receive this set - it looks beautiful. And it will sit perfectly next to the 8-CD Blondie set that arrived recently, another gorgeous book-sized set with similar packaging.

JayB likes this.