The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

Al, that actually sounds like a pretty nice weekend coming your way!

Al Gator and KeithGodchaux like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

There seems confusion whether this was a 2 or 3 set show. According to Deadbase it was just the 2 sets with no break between PITB and Row Jimmy.

[​IMG]

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

According to Ned those Seastones > {insert GD song here} were pre-planned before they went on stage. For example after 18 October 1974- Winterland, they decided not to do that again the final two nights because of how unutterably perfect the Seastones > Dark Star > Morning Dew flowed.

Keith being pissed off can originate from a number of influences and may have nothing to do with Ned.

4. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

I downloaded this one before work yesterday and found some artwork online. All it needed was a title - easy enough - the cautionary remark provided by US Blues works just fine. I finally nailed down the picture posting with some help from Bruso & tdcrjeff and voila:

Grateful Dead: Enter At Your Own Risk 09-20-74

[​IMG]

Several people have mentioned some favorites. I'll add I Know You Rider to the heap.
    This one is a bit different....

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As mentioned above the video shows they took Ned's keyboards off the stage before "Row Jimmy," although I guess they could have done that quickly enough for there not to have been a true set break.

6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

still got the plastic covers?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

This Bickershaw Dark Star truly does echo back to the 1970-era renditions.

LOVE IT.

8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, I reckon they’d wheel the keys off pretty sharpish.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Happy Equinox!!!

Autumnal beauty for those north of the Equator.

Spring blossoms for those south of the Equator.

:pineapple:

Bananas&blow, ARK, budwhite and 11 others like this.
  10. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Is them RIGHT now, son?
    Where was ya then?...in bloody short trousers the lads reckon...ya heard bits n bobs, bobs n bits of the Gratefuls '74 euro then...
    well ya bloody confused ya is, mate!...them lot brought the business that tour...the lads did 'em ALL, my sons...corkers ALL, them...
    The bloody Pally, Munich, and them frog gigs proper...ALL went over a bomb, mate...the lads on the Bayern Munchen FC was WELL
    spoken to by Uncle Albert when them tucked inta the Olympia Hall gigs...them lot took the Euro cup the next marnin' them done...
    WELL knackered the pitch was, my sons....The locals STILL talk about them gigs..."Wochenende der Lysergiker"...from Olching
    to bloody Ottobrunn them was WELL spoken to...them was times never to be again, my sons...make NO mistake...special times, them!

11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is Palace Theatre, Waterbury, CT, 23/09/72.

[​IMG]

It’s September 1972, innit. You know the score.

Instead of a review, a coupla stats and pics:
    • The first time Big River opened a show, one of only two times this occurred—the other being Providence, 26/06/74;
    • This was a first outing for the three-pronged attack of Promised Land > Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told—then the very next night at the same venue, in the 2nd set opening slot, the cheeky scamps play it again … but in reverse order!;
    • Around And Around was brought back into the set for the first time since April 1971, then featured in every single show thereafter* ;);
    • It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue was a complete surprise! The first time the Dead played this one since Port Chester, 08/11/70. I forgot they played it in ‘72—this was only one of two, the other a few days later in Jersey City;
    • Played here for the first time since Ann Arbor, 14/12/71 (released on DaP’s #26 Bonus Disc), Cryptical Envelopment then disappeared, maybe for the best, not to resurface again until June 1985;
    • … and the first time Sugar Magnolia and GDTRFB were linked, which admittedly wasn’t that common.
    [​IMG]

The following night was 1972’s representation in the behemoth 30 Trips Around The Sun box set, aka “The Porch Crusher.”

“Ah, you’re going to love this”

I: Big River, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Black-Throated Wind, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Me And My Uncle, Tennessee Jed, Jack Straw, Bird Song, El Paso, Deal, Playing In The Band.

II: Promised Land > Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told, Brown-Eyed Women, Around And Around, It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue, Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > The Other One > Wharf Rat, Beat It On Down The Line, Ramble On Rose, Sugar Magnolia > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad > Not Fade Away > One More Saturday Night.

*I kid, I kid.

12. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Good to know, I actually haven’t heard 11 so I’ll have to check it out!

rainbow dome and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. MHam

MHam Give Me Bass Relief

Plus they took 5 or 10 minutes between songs anyway.

budwhite, US Blues and SJR like this.
  14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha! Very true.

US Blues likes this.
  15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Bro.

:winkgrin:

ARK, US Blues, SlimLee and 1 other person like this.
  16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

I used to be a day late and a dollar short. Now I'm just a day late.

Dark Star>Morning Dew 9/21/72
    He's Gone>The Other One>Wharf Rat 9/3/72
    Playing in the Band 9/21/72

Here's my hawt take. The Other One on the disc 4 filler is better than that Dark Star. I'll see myself out.

[​IMG]

17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm going there a week from today to see The Wolf Bros.

Yep........the 1972 version of the band felt uncomfortable playing "Cryptical."

18. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

I've always liked the Bickershaw Dark Star for staying on the tracks (i.e. not a whole lot of atonal "stuff"). It's short for '72 but 20 minutes still gets the job done. I've never considered it in the 1970 context you mentioned, so I think I'm going to put this on today's mix next and channel their inner-'70.

I wonder what made them decide to both DS and TOO at Bickershaw. Highly unusual. 11/7/71 at the Harding is the only other day I recall this occurring from 1971 forward (but I'm sure there must be more). Prior to '71 it wasn't such an unusual thing...

Seems like the Festival was a big cold half rainy sock burning affair, yet if IIRC this is the longest show of the tour. Maybe they played longer because some other band no-showed? I never investigated the band lineup until now. Genie is out of the bag on image posting:

[​IMG]

19. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

The Deadcast ep about Bickershaw suggested that the longer set was due to their contract for the show, which paid way more than any other E’72 show and which included language along the lines that they were supposed to play an overview of their music to date.

And, yeah, the lineup looks amazing, and the weather sounds dreadful.

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

There’s a few over the years. I became enamored with the combo after Copps 92

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  21. Bigthunder

Bigthunder Forum Resident

12/30/77 Peggy-O this morning. A transcendent, uplifting solo. Just when you think Jerry’s done he keeps climbing. I like how upbeat this one is. It adds a sense of urgency to the lyrics.

22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Anyone else get tix for the Meet Up at The Movies? Some killer Europe 72 Dead in my local theatre with some friends and random hippies... How could I pass up?

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I didn't buy advance tix but I'm certainly planning on going.

citizensmurf likes this.
  24. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I only buy ahead so I can have good seats.

KeithGodchaux likes this.
  25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Running through Road Trips 3.3 today... So much great stuff, although I'm the type that feels the need to re-order the tracks into each specific show.

Man there are some stone cold gorgeous acoustic performances. I don't go back to this material nearly enough. Oh, and St. Stephen > TIFTOO > Cosmic Charlie is ridiculous!

[​IMG]