The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

We just saw it and quite enjoyed it. I'd love to see him do more of this character - the Chevy Chase films had been converted into vehicles for his persona.

brownie61 and Hyacinth House like this.
  2. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Saw this last night, thought it was OK if very silly.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Basically it was Agatha Christie fanfiction.

We saw it as one of our AMC A*List tickets, so it wasn't like we'd paid huge amount of money.

It was a little bitter sweet - on our second visit to London, part of the package was tickets to a show. They offered five different shows, and we had to choose between Les Miserables and The Mousetrap and we ultimately chose spectacle over longevity.

Besides, it was fun to see Shirley Henderson as a slightly insane Agatha. I absolutely loved her in Topsy-Turvy, and how she was bizarrely able to play school girl Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter films.

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I Came By (2022)

5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

It's not a good play so you made the right decision!

6. Chris DeVoe

When we talked about it, the decision was in favor of the giant spectacle. And to be honest, it really was.

harmonica98 likes this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Moonage Daydream today.

8. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Yeah, it was pretty good up until the last third, where is betrays the setup from the first two thirds. The two leads were good and the art direction is fun, so there's that. Was hoping for a little more though.

We're going to see Confess Fletch this weekend. Really looking forward to that.

9. Chris DeVoe

I don't get how it betrayed the setup. He was a creature of electromagnetic waves and dust, from a time when none existed, and the modern world was destructive and toxic to him.
    Quite enjoyed it.

brownie61 likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

What did you think?

All Down The Line likes this.
  11. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Not that, the romance between them that was given no setup. When she said she was meant to love him (or whatever the line was) it was completely out of the blue. I didn't see anything in their interaction prior to that which foreshadowed the direction the third act took.

12. Chris DeVoe

Fair enough. Although it could also be said that, as an naratologist she was already in love with stories.

13. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Don’t Worry Darling

The good:
    1) Florence Pugh. I’ve never seen her before (that I can remember). She was fantastic.
    2) Production, set, and costume design. I would happily live in Alice and Jack’s house!

The bad:
    Just about everything else. I am a huge Harry Styles fan, but maybe this wasn’t the right role for him, or maybe he’s just not a good actor. I think Chris Pine is a very good actor, but thought he was wooden here. As for the plot, I’ve read several reviews that said the “big reveal” was telegraphed a mile away. I don’t think it was, but it sure was dumb.

Overall, I thought this was worth seeing, but definitely promised more than it ultimately delivered.

RSteven likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

I missed Midsommor but we first noticed her in the film Fighting With My Family. And of course she was tons of fun in the Black Widow movie.

RSteven likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I went with little idea or expectation and enjoyed looking into his psyche.
    I long knew he was somewhat uncomfortable in his own skin onstage if performing and presenting too much as himself so the background helped explain this.
    The film didn't pander to Bowie or family and was artistically off the wall in part which kept the interest and focused on the individual experience of one's imagination and art.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

See How They Run. I’m going to stick my neck out and say that once this goes on streaming services it’ll turn up in a lot of those what-to-watch lists of hidden gems. Because 1. Sam Rockwell - he makes any film watchable. 2. Saoirse Ronan - her performance is just perfect, she slightly undersells the jokes the way “real” people do which leads to 3. The jokes. There are so many, ranging from silly quips to dad jokes to obscure references to Stoppard and Shakespeare plays, maybe just too many for a cinema audience to take in. My wife was still talking about them the next day (eg the riff about a character speaking Belgian). So 4/5 in the cinema but a potential cult classic.

RSteven and brownie61 like this.
  17. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Did you see Greta Gerwig's Little Women remake from 2019? She was excellent in that too. Well worth watching, btw.

I guess she was also good in Midsommar, though I hated that movie.

brownie61 likes this.
  18. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

No, I skipped that because I feel like I’ve seen that story too many times. I have lost interest in remakes of all of those 19th century classic books. But I’ll make a note that this one is worth seeing. Thanks!

Monosterio likes this.
  19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It will be Ti West's PEARL later tonight.

20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

See How They Run

This film was a very pleasant surprise. The cast was great: Sam Rockwell, Saoirse Ronan, Adrien Brody, Ruth Wilson. All great, and some very funny lines. Adrien Brody is falling into a pattern of playing an over the top version of himself, but he’s so very good at it.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes theater, a good mystery, and subtle comedy. :)

RSteven and normanr like this.
  21. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Just came back from seeing PEARL - first time back in a theater since pre-COVId, and this movie was the perfect reentry. Visually stunning and absolutely compelling, with Mia Goth turning in a performance that, in a perfect world, will earn her an Academy Award. Wow.

22. I saw Avatar a couple nights ago in Imax 3D high frame rate and it was amazing. The mid-credit preview of part 2 was astonishing. It involved an alien and a whale and was so lifelike I honestly forgot that everything I was seeing was not real. And there were only three other people in the theater. Best moviegoing experience in a long time. No popcorn munchers!

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I finally got around to seeing The Woman King this afternoon. Excellent. :righton:

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I actually didn't dig this movie, but I totally agree that Nicole Kidman was miscast. Her acting, if we can call it that, was so bad it was almost comical. The growing and hissing and the vocal tone (like with rocks in one's mouth) got old fast.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Uh. I forget?