Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Sounds like a title to one of the tracks!

Sean, ARK, tug_of_war and 7 others like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Yeah. I hope one of the singles will be released soon so I can get an idea. Because those messages don't give me good hope. Not waiting for a ECO CH version of Living With War anno 2022. Gonna listen to it a good couple of times on NYA before actually buying.

Biscuit1970 likes this.
  3. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

I think the reason for this has been that Neil has used them sparingly in the past.

4. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

The problem I had with 'Barn' is that it was soon dramatically upstaged by 'Toast', which reminded us what NY&CH sounded like 20 years prior! Neil's output is so prolific, I think I'm going to have to implement a 'Tidal first, vinyl second' approach to his stuff, before my collection becomes 75% Neil Young.

5. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

This is the first time Neil has worked with a major big name producer since Briggs, right?

6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

daniel lanois and niko bolas would like to have a word

piepants, WhatDoIKnow, Sean and 6 others like this.
  7. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Oh, right-right. Le noise is one of my favourite releases post 2000, oopsie.)) With that said - Rick Rubin is definitely more high profile than Lanois and Bolas combined. Other than Freedom and some more stuff, Bolas produced one of Zevon's best albums and one Steve Perry record. Lanois worked with U2, Gabriel, Eno, Dylan, Hassell. Rubin's list however is astronomical.

8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Is Rubin really more high profile than Lanois? Perhaps. But I might get a little defensive here... ;)

Alright4now likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They're not prolific n the same level. Most everything Lanois has done has been acclaimed on some level, but he doesn't take on new projects that often. Rubin is a huge name with major success, but he works a lot and has a lot of fairly recent flops under his belt.

10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it's probably more $ucc$e$$ful

Sean and lucan_g like this.
  11. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Even if you cross out ALL of his work post 2000, he still has a ton of successful releases remaining, spanning multiple genres. Genres might not be your cup of tea, but I don't know a producer who would work within hip hop and rock as equally successfully as he managed to.

DmitriKaramazov and ARK like this.
  12. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

If this record gets released soon - it will be the third consecutive Crazy Horse album. That has never happened before in Neil’s career.

piepants, Sean, ARK and 9 others like this.
  13. Two major Lanois transformations:
    Emmylou Harris Wrecking Ball
    Willie Nelson Teatro.

Two records that transformed the artists and turned around their style. Wonderful albums.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And the Nevilles' Yellow Moon around the same time.

Alright4now, Sean and bonus like this.
  15. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

I'm a little worried this is going to be a Living With War-type treatise on the environment. Although I did like that one at the time.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

And hopefully some more :).

Could it also be due to the fact that he has less choice? It is a sad observation but apart from CH, POTR and some others like Chad Cromwell, a lot of the 'usual suspects' that he liked to surround himself with have sadly passed away...

Ricky Lampoon likes this.
  17. Willy J

Willy J Forum Resident

Rubin is arguably the highest profile record producer alive, just maybe not in circles that know the name of a second record producer. Dude is basically a household name even if people don’t really know what he does or couldn’t name a record he worked on.

ARK likes this.
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

that's a bit much. i don't think rubin is a household name.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Also one of the very rare times he's made three electric albums in a row, assuming this even is one.

Ricky Lampoon likes this.
  20. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

In a reply to a letter on NYA today, Neil uses the purple lettering on "record" and "world" so looks like that title might be real...

Sean, tug_of_war and Zeki like this.
  21. Only as a Sandwhich.

Sean, ARK, Big Blue and 5 others like this.
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

For better or worse, Rick Rubin's the closest thing to a household name music producer at present; he and his horrid barefoot aesthetic are likely known by people who haven't a clue what he does. Those same people wouldn't know Daniel Lanois if they ran over him.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Sleeps With Angels is my second favorite Neil Young album behind On The Beach. I would love it this new one were in the same vein.

Alright4now, Sean, Sigma6 and 2 others like this.
  24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Daniel Lanois has a sonic signature. Rubin is more conceptual. Just different approaches. When it works either way is cool. When it doesn’t. Daniel can drag a little and Rick can be gimmicky. Both are fun to have in the mix.

I think Quincy Jones is the most name recognizable producer. I don’t know. How about Phil Spector maybe? George Martin?

Sean, 420JJJazz666 and Willy J like this.
  25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I'm one of those fans of Barn. And I also love most of Colorado!

Sean, Big Blue, Zeki and 1 other person like this.