what's the most recent documentary you watched (film/tv/web)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by polchik, Jul 22, 2021.

1. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Please don’t destroy this thread.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  2. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

20 Feet From Stardom

Simon A, Shoes1916 and Mylene like this.
  3. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Dean Martin On Biography...DVD.

RSteven and Shoes1916 like this.
  5. georgebz1

georgebz1 Remember 1939. Stop Putin Now.

I really enjoyed that and it made me appreciate the contribution of Merry Clayton to some of my favorite music. Now I can't imagine Gimme Shelter without her.

6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Enjoyed The Persians: A History of Iran, a BBC series, quite a lot! Much to learn. This should now be available through a number of platforms.

I usually have various doc series PVRed/ing, I like to get all parts usually before watching... one ongoing is on the development of rail in England from the steam age onward, and another is a history of Egypt starting in prehistoric times... I often skip docs on ancient Egypt and Greece as there have been so many but this one sounded particularly good but I've yet to confirm that it is.

Most of the docs I enjoy are shown on a provincial channel without ads along the lines of PBS named The Knowledge Network. It's one of the first beyond basic 2-13 channels we ever got, used to be on channel 14 or 16 UHF as I remember and you had to get a secondary attachment for the back of your tv to get them. So glad it's still going strong! Often airs top music documentaries and concerts too. In it's early days it had a lot of higher education tv type programs that you could enroll formally in and earn a credit of some sort, but you could follow just the series shown without extras and get something from it. There was a Japanese language course that led me to enrolling in the local University course in-person. It also ran the World At War series fairly regularly and had a wide variety of children's shown part of the day. I miss the way A&E, TLC and Bravo originally were, they were once favorites too, but The Knowledge Network of British Columbia has survived longest and best. TVOntario is said to be in the same league... everyone should support and have access to such a high quality channel!

Shoes1916 likes this.
  7. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Nonsense.

It's just BS you're not willing to address.

a customer likes this.
  8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Ken Burns the holocaust great from the BEGINNING to the END.

9. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Thank you, I must check that one out. I went there in 2017 and toured around the place for a month in what the locals call 'VIP' buses. Cheap as chips. Made it to Persepolis which was unreal. It's a place that lives up to the old saying about travel broadening the mind. People are people the world over.

beccabear67 likes this.
  10. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Give it a rest Henry.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  11. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

johnod likes this.
  12. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

LOVED this. What was with the polite clapping though? I had trouble sitting down in my living room!! :)

Major Dolphin likes this.
  13. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I did watch another documentary on bullying ,not sure if it was that one, it was similar i'm sure.
    It was somewhat surprising to see that other young girls seem to among the worst offenders.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Gaza Fights For Freedom (2019), by Abby Martin (investigative journalist) -- sad and gut wrenching to the extreme

kanakaris and Shoes1916 like this.
  15. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Citizen hearst on PBS American masters is fascinating.

The patty hearst documentary on prime or Netflix also fascinating.

The leader of that small group had his arm broken by dad or stepdad for punishment.
    He died in that firefight in the suburb
    I think southern California

Shoes1916 likes this.
  16. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Citizen Hearst was FASCINATING!

Simon A likes this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Man, I just finished watching Escape From Kabul on HBO. It's about that black day in our history, 2021's withdrawal from Afghanistan. I thought I knew how bad it was, but nothing prepared me for this! The fall of Saigon in '75 pales before this atrocity. I won't go into the politics of it all, but seeing our President doing what he does, and the Taliban victory, (can't be called anything but that) just left me feeling really pissed off for some reason.

18. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

“Welcome to Wrexham” - I assume this counts. BTW, I love the series & highly recommend it.

kanakaris and slybry2 like this.
  19. georgebz1

That's the best WWI documentary I've seen to date.

a customer likes this.
  20. georgebz1

\
    I'll have to check out the Persians/Iran documentary. As for the channel you folks get, it sounds like they're providing a valuable community service deserving of everyone's support.

That's how I feel about PBS down here. It's become my favorite source for news, documentaries, and entertainment.

21. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Creedence documentary on the Netflix.
    Their biography and lots of music. Reminder how great they were.

Michael likes this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Terry Kath Experience (2016)

Michael likes this.
  23. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

24. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

First couple of episodes of the Beatles Anthology

Simon A, DLD and Michael like this.
  25. Major Dolphin

Major Dolphin "If music be the food of love, play on" William S.