Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Mr. Pither of Cornwall

Mr. Pither of Cornwall Forum Resident

Begs the question, "do you listen to the music itself or the sound of the music?" It sounds (ha) like the latter. Which is more than a little weird.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have always been of the view that those who say they "listen to the music" without listening to "sound quality" aren't fully appreciating the music. I don't find that weird, but I feel sorry for them, because I suspect that they love the music as much as I do.

Tullman, 4-2-7 and Big Blue like this.
  3. It is not

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

No time for that...

5. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

There has been more than a few comments along the line of "Grow up, in the real world companies lie, accept it". Lots of people using that one, both here and outside the forum; famous instance by Ken Micallef. IMHO, one company doing it does not justify another one doing it. Both are wrong.

v

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Of course. I have not seen those comments, but if you say there have been more than a few, I believe it.

7. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Especially early in the thread - CBF to search, but I assure you they are there - as my reply was the same as the post you are replying to! :D

v

MonkeyTennis and erowid like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Bad analogy. It is the nature of the product that was being falsely presented by MFSL. If Ford's slogan were "Best 4-wheel drive" but only offered 3-wheeled vehicles, that'd be false advertising. If Gibson used "Wooden 'til the end!" but their guitars were made of aluminum, that'd be false as well.

MFSL presenting their products as using or being sourced from the original master recording when they weren't is misleading at best and outright malicious fraud at worst.

Wrong again. What you lack in accuracy, you make for in consistency. Yes, we've had a number of people debate for pages on end that MFSL did not lie.

9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think of it this way: “I’m trying to enjoy the music, but it doesn’t sound good…”

Pretorius and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

:laughup:

Sorry I had to!

11. Strat-Mangler

I hear ya. Let's see if anyone can guess how many times it's been posted, just for fun. No cheating!

I just checked and it's far more than I thought. :D

Pretty damning video, that's for sure!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  12. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Might be a good idea to follow the thread a little closer before posting inaccuracies.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  13. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Double digits?

14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Are any of the active lawyers on this thread monitoring Pacer for the three suits on file? Just curious if and when a responsive pleading is filed. Obviously, MoFi could have gotten an extension of time, normal in these circumstances.
    Thanks!

patient_ot likes this.
  15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

• Lying shouldn't be accepted, but it should be acknowledged and put in proper context. Truly awful corporate actors should be held to a higher level of accountability than MoFi. Heedless corporate liars with real power actually injure and kill people with their lies. MoFi is nothing compared to Amazon, Facebook, Big Pharma, Apple, et al.

Nobody was injured here. It would be insane to argue otherwise.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Don't be a loser. 27,065 posts in this thread. What if I have a job, a family, a record collection that I need to listen to?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Rocco1, Cody B, BreakBeat DJ and 5 others like this.
  17. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

This is a great example of a red herring logical fallacy among other things. Nobody has equated MOFI with Apple or Pharmacticual companies. Also, arguing that you can't hold someone accountable because someone else did something worse, is quite nihilistic and precludes any possibility of justice since you can always point to something worse.

Marv Headroom, dee, Harrison and 4 others like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Absolutely! Any guesses? :)

19. misteranderson

We have people on the forum with A-T USB turntables with powered speakers - maybe $600 all-in, all the way up to people with a hundred times that, and far, far more, and everything in between, but it's not system dependent. OK, sure.

Why have SHF members fill out equipment profiles if systems don't matter?

I didn't pick up the Abbey Road 1/2 speed Tommy, 'cos I stumbled on a US Decca that looks and plays brand-new for $10.

I'm with you on the "obi," 'cos it's not an obi, but the idea of what an "audiophile product" is, or should be, has been turned on it's head.

OldSoul and GimiSomeTruth like this.
  20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

30?

22. misteranderson

Really? The level of sheer hatred for MoFi coming from some in this thread is absolutely comical.

Justice...some entitled people paid way, way too much for an uber-luxury product they still actually like (mostly), but were misled about sources and lineage. The actual amount of money involved is minuscule.

We'll see what actual judges think, if the lawsuits get anywhere.

folkfreak, Carl Swanson and mikeyt like this.
  23. Iving

Iving 'Neath Kishmul's walls

24. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I don't hate MOFI at all. Just not buying anymore vinyl from them whether or not lawsuits go anywhere. What you are arguing, by implication, is that consumer fraud should be tolerated because other things are worse. And notice that MOFI has been putting lineage stickers on their records now. They aren't, as you propose writing on them "At least we aren't Amazon you entitled babies now buy this DSD record and shut up!"

MonkeyTennis, nosliw, DaveyF and 3 others like this.
  25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I predict that when MFSL’s lawyers meet with the Plaintiffs consul a check will be offered and they will accept it and all will be dropped.

misteranderson likes this.