'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Aren’t we all, in one way or another, awaiting fulfillment?

Fractured, mackeyse, Aegir and 13 others like this.
  2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Ha! Was just about to make my own quasi-philosophical but actually snarky comment on that statement. :D

Instant Dharma and this_machine like this.
  3. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

I bought that CD earlier this year exactly because it distinguishes the sessions and not the original LPs: The first CD contains the tracks from BLP1523 (Introducing Kenny Burrell) and the first two tracks from BLP1543 (the upcoming Kenny Burrell TP), which were recorded at the same date with the same personell (Ok, the last track is a KB solo track). The second CD contains the session that made up more than the half of BLP1543(upcoming KB TP), including a rendition of My Heart Stood Still. They really should have put that on the LP instead of the single tune from Kenny Dorham's concert, which gives BLP1543 (upcoming KB TP) a compilation vibe.
    Furthermore, the second CD contains a session that was only release in Japan as K.B.'s Blues. The line-up is basically the Horace Silver Quintet with Kenny Burrell taking the place of Donald Byrd. This would make a really nice Tone Poet (hint @scotti ;) )

Oh, since this awaited represses are popular topic around here: I'm waiting for a repress of the BLP1523 Introducing Kenny Burrell Tone Poet ...

RiRiIII, mktracy, Balcanquhal and 2 others like this.
  4. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Scotti I think the inspiration comes from Joe. When I first listened to this recent stereo version, the first thing I thought of was that to me this sounds exactly how MM would have done Blue Train had they decided to go with the stereo instead of mono ten years ago. I can certainly understand why MM choose the mono but this TP stereo recut has all the shimmer and air like the MM pressings which really allows the sax, trumpet and cymbals to shine through. Some may argue that the 33 MM pressings can sound bright especially the SRX versions but having compared this to the 45 AP Blue Train I like this version better and will be my go to stereo version. Still love the MM mono version too and will probably not buy the new mono TP pressing.

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice post! Here's a quick note from Joe...

"We approached these with fresh ears, not referring to past notes. Plus Kevin is always making little refinements to his rig".

6. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Joe is spilling the beans on IG today.

1947, yes 1947, Monk recording test pressing cut last night.
    I can't locate anything that far back in cogs.
    Maybe someone else can.
    This matches the master tape label

Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music Volume 1

[​IMG]

7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

This is the BNC already announced for December.

Though his other post about The Remarkable Carmell Jones is news to me, though I already had saved on streaming so I'm wondering if I read about it previously or just a coincidence

mktracy and kt66brooklyn like this.
  8. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

So does 'dubbed from disc' mean this was originally direct to acetate and them copied to tape. As I understand it, 1947 is borderline for tape as a primary source.

Aeryn Sun, mktracy and kt66brooklyn like this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This is gonna be SICK

ausgraeme, mktracy and bjlefebvre like this.
  10. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

The 10" had better cover art by far! He's clearly peering at something. Just what was on the other side of his gaze?

11. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I questioned the 1947 and he confirmed. I also asked RVG and he stated no, it's Doug Hawkins at WOR.
    It has RVG on the label at the top so it's a little perplexing but he's the man!

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm surprised that they are using the very old 12" tape dubbed from disc in what 1956, I'm pretty certain they could achieve much better results by re-recording the original discs with modern gear and using modern software, it may not be AAA, but I don't think that's the point with such old non-tape sources.

As for Rudy being involved, he mastered and cut the original BLP-1510 12" release.

I may as well post this again, my signed Lexington Ave copy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  13. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have two different copies of this on vinyl. Both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 on the EMI Pathe Marconi reissues from the early 80s, and as part of Mosaic 101 Monks' Complete Blue Note Recordings.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Does anybody, (Rich?), know if the writing on the tape box is Rudy's, I'd guess it is.

15. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

For anyone thinking they have de ja vus about the Carmell Jones release ^

(From August 2021) :)

Swann36, mktracy, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  16. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Ah, there ya go thanks. I knew there was a reason I had it saved for listening. I'm definitely picking that one up!

mktracy and Petter Premberg like this.
  17. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

It's quite possible that Blue Note may not have all of the metal masters or acetates anymore. Newer playback, I would naturally presume that it's better but surface noise can only have got worse in the past 60-odd years.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They could almost certainly get improved fidelity from actual 78rpm singles even if they no longer have the metalwork, what can be done in 2022 is massively superior to RVG doing a straight dub in 1956, editing the start and finish and adding some EQ, it's like the difference between a Model T and a Tesla, but on a positive at least it's Rudy's tape if you long for authenticity before sonics.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  19. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Joe says it sounds Really good.
    I think we may just call it a hybrid Tone Poet instead on a BNC. Ha!

20. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

I received my TP Blue Trane. Both Stereo and Mono. Man oh Man. Either sounds great. The stereo version is spectacular, plus the extra material is interesting. The Stereo version has really nice notes in booklet form attached to inside gatefold. Just beautiful.

why oh why cant the UHQR Steely Dams ja e been done in similar fashion. That’s anotjer topic.

but wow… how nice is it to have these two TPs. Super quiet vinyl, flat as a pancake while spinning. Zero issues. Great job Blue Note.

21. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

My Blue Note store order arrived today. My initial impressions, listening back-to-back - I prefer the MMJ mono, but the Tone Poet stereo cut is amazing, and it might be my 2nd favorite behind the MMJ mono. Immersive. Love it!

mktracy, kt66brooklyn and rcsrich like this.
  22. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Also, stereo disc 1 is flat and centered. I have not played the other disc with the extra tracks yet. More interested in the shootout right now.

Blue Note store took their time to ship, but packaging was great with no seam splits nor corner bumps. Happy so far.

23. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

Stereo played and has nice nonfill on opening track
    Ordered replacement and it has a chunk of missing vinyl with a bonus warp.
    Awaiting the 3rd try tomorrow.
    From what I heard the stereo is nice but cannot decide between that and mono!
    Mono sounds great and not disappointed whatsoever! Hopefully the replacement tomorrow has at least a playable LP. Normally don't have issues but this makes up for all the damage free copies of other TO and BNC titles

Jam757 likes this.
  24. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Dang, too bad. The stereo is great. I hope you can hang in there for a flawless pressing!

I would have expected to receive all of the issues reported so far since my order was the online Blue Note store. Lucky so far. My third order with them and the only complaint is slow fulfillment and shipping.

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Listened to the new Charles Lloyd "Trios: Ocean" this evening, just a quick post, but simply spectacular! Very avant-garde laced throughout and just from my first listen, easily one of my favorite records from this legend!

Spazros, Dignan2000, PATB and 9 others like this.