The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Saratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)BoxSaratoga>Hershey>Merriweather(x2)Box

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Is that a Vignère cipher? (Google it!)

3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I get a strong New York vibe off that cover.

Gray Beard likes this.
  4. uzn007

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

5. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

Love this show. Time for 9/23 to get the treatment.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The entirety of September Fall 1972 requires official release.

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

[​IMG]

ARK, profusion, Zafu and 9 others like this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Just in … there’s word of another story developing in Williamsburg. We cross live to our reporter at the scene—

You find me at the College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA, 24/09/76 where local crowds have been left in shock, spooked by the rare appearance of Playing In The Band > Supplication > Playing In The Band which some have described as invoking the Spirit of ‘76.

A unique rarity, rapturous onlookers declared it … “an absolute thrill, like nothing I’ve heard before or since,” “an instant classic” and, “a once in a lifetime experience, it was incredible.”

Needless to say, there was a little magic in the air this evening.

If you or anyone you know has been affected by today’s unusual occurrences, rest assured, there’s help on the way.

I’m SJR for GD Daily News, and remember “if you get confused listen to the music play”

9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

10. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

Don't knock over the monitors or Phil will be all over your sh**

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  11. KeithGodchaux

I also reorder the tracks when applicable. I think this is the one I cut out the super-annoying shrieking band introduction before Casey Jones. I also separated the electric from the acoustic. It's basically one big electric set in one folder and one big acoustic set in another.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. KeithGodchaux

Looks like it's officially official. I will probably try to go. Dead & Co was waaay more successful than I thought they would be when they emerged in 2015. I said I wasn't going see them unless a free ticket fell in my lap. Then a free ticket fell in my lap from a buddy. Then he asked me for $10 over face value at the end of the night. Haven't hung out with him since. The sound wasn't even good because they were 3rd level rafter seats. What a chump. My cousin is a DeadHead, so I invited him down from NY for an outdoor show. Rained out 2 songs into the 2nd set. Finally saw them proper at MSG the night after Halloween a couple of years ago. Sound was great, no rain in the Garden.

I am pleasantly surprised by their success and can't believe they're going on 8 years. For perspective, that was basically The Who's entire touring span in America with Keith Moon (1968 - 1976). How fleeting their hey-day was! I think Dead & Co is responsible for a good chunk of the 100,000 Dave's Picks units that are now sold annually (up from 48K in 2012). I hope the fan interest keeps up and the Vault releases keep'a coming

[​IMG]

13. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

I am slowly working thru 4/8/72 on vinyl this weekend, last night was side 1, this AM side 2, 3.

It is very nice to break down GD listening in “20 or so chunks” of time………

In non GD related posts, I got in the mail the NRPS 8/27/72 & 5/26/72 opening for the GD releases and I am looking forward to listening over the coming weeks.

notesofachord and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

i love it

15. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

it really does.

16. It’s Autumn. Here’s a song about Autumn.

“Let It Grow”.

A favorite version of mine, sharing here.

9-7-73 Nassau Coliseum, NY.

Get through the first 2:30 - then your off to musical heaven in this fabulous version/performance for over 11 minutes.

Spectacular full band playing off each other, Jerry and Keith in particular.

Jerry plays with speed, precision and is just supernatural .

“I Am!”

Enjoy!

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Man, those two were on a completely different level.

18. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

listend to this last night. Bird Song and Playin are top notch. This playin is accesioble and melodic, but deeply jammed at the same time.

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'll try and catch this next year. this looks like overall the end of it all for most big touring things Dead related

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

college is about 45 minutes from my house

Bananas&blow, ARK, SJR and 3 others like this.
  21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Shall we go…..
    [​IMG]

22. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Some serious melody coming off this "Stella Blue" outro -- without pretending it hits the same height, it puts one in mind of "Comes a Time" from 5/9/77.

23. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

curious is Downhill From Here in the boxset in 5.1?

Actually curious in total which DVDs in that box are 5.1 capable.

24. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Yes this may have been one of the greatest runs in Dead history imo but I may be a bit biased. I just did a refresh on Downhill from here last night on Laserdisc and on VHS to do a compare of just the sound of each release. I won't publish the compare of the 2 because I don't feel the VCR I listened on allowed the VHS to sound as good as it could. Will do another test later with a different VCR. Man what a fantastic release. After virtually only listing to pre 74 dead for the last 8 years or so the shock in improved sound quality near the end of the analog era just shows how great analog could sound. Not to mention the band was on fire on the 17th. I was at the first 2 nights so when this first came out I was a little disappointed some of the material was from the 3rd night and part of the 17th was left off. After watching again recently the material from the 3rd night on this release and in particular Deal is just stellar. Wish I would have stayed for the 3rd night but memories of the first 2 especially night one are some of the best of my GD career. So awesome to have this video and a stellar sounding record of it already. A proper Blu Ray box with 5.1 would be over the top

I was in the middle of the Lawn where the sound was adequate but not stellar. This release is one of the few times I can say a recording is almost on par in quality as to how I remember it live! I was in the center of the Pavillion for Other Ones 98 and that was one of the best sounding shows I ever attended so I know how great this venue can sound. This release really captures the lightning in the bottle so to speak.

25. uzn007

Yeah, God love 'em. They've done a great job getting more people into the Dead's music, and giving kids a circus to run away to. Like you, I am surprised by their level of success. I never saw them, probably never will, now, but I'm glad that they've kept the vibe alive and brought some great music to a lot of people.