Matching Spendor A7s with Kimber KS3033 cables*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaBigBadWolf, Sep 23, 2022.

1. DaBigBadWolf

DaBigBadWolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finally bit the bullet and stepped up. I have been feeding my Spendor A7's with really old kimber 8tc's (blue and black ones). A little voice kept nagging me to step up to a level of cable that would compliment the Spendors. I found a great deal on some new Kimber KS3033's and went out of my price point comfort zone. I have always liked my Kimbers and their place in my rig so I decided to stay in the Kimber family, you know "more of the same" theory. I am listening to them with no burn in and am already super pleased. I put on the new LP of Deja Vu (stand alone anniversary edition which sounds great). Subtle increase in "ease" and some deeper blacks in the silence, and a good bit more precision in imaging. I was prepared for a little "new harshness" but it really isn't too noticeable. AND my wife feels that they are "more appropriate" than the 8tc's! The Break In period promises to be a whole bunch of fun.
    EVERYBODY IS A WINNER

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

You’re not messing around there man. Wow! Always been a Kimber fan but that’s out of my league. Very nice.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Good for You! Now just watch out for the wet blanket nay sayers.

4. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

I won't believe it until you post that your wife commented that she heard an improvement even when she was in a different room. :D

TwiceFan, Helom and wgriel like this.
  5. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

By virtue of LCR differences, speaker cables are going to sound different from each other, depending on situation. Some better, some worse, depending on speakers and amp output impedence. It's a dynamic situation. Those who have swapped out speaker cables in their systems know they sound different. That said, if we could somehow normalize for LCR, then maybe speaker cables aren't that different from each other... but how could we normalize for that? Just roll with it. I'm very happy with my birwire set of Audio Envy SP11. Yes, they sound better than the Morrows, Clearday and Anticables that preceded them.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yeah LCR matters. That’s why zip cord can sometimes work better than Kimbers.

7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

LOL

8. DaBigBadWolf

DaBigBadWolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ahh ,,,,but,,,,she actually did

jonwoody likes this.
  9. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I love me my 12tc OCC mambas that are letting me percieve more detail than the crap worms I used to have. I love me some great sounding pythons and vipers as well. It is just the oily/slimey/slippery/nasty/crooked dudes who sell these types of phylum chordatae for the price of an arm and a leg that I truly/madly/deeply despise.

Ilusndweller and DaBigBadWolf like this.
  10. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

What is OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast)?

What is OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast)?

"Average crystal size
    = 125.00 meters
    Crystals per meter = 0.008 pcs"

Grain Boundary Resistance in Copper Interconnects from an Atomistic Model to a Neural Network

Understanding Grain Boundary Electrical Resistivity in Cu: The Effect of Boundary Structure

:)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I remember many years ago when a friend of mine upgraded his zip cord to some Kimber cable. And these instantly put his Adcom 545 into ultrasonic oscillation from the added cable capacitance.

I'm not saying this to put-down Kimber Cable! I've been happily running dual 4TC cable runs for approximately 35 years to bi-wire my Snells with, and I never plan to replace these cables.

12. Ilusndweller

I tried the "single crystal" (for all practical purposes no metallurgical grain boundaries in the length of the interconnects or speaker cable) wire experiment about 25 years ago. I compared Harmonic Technology Truthlink balanced interconnects (single crystal copper) to the mic cables (balanced interconnects) that came with Radio Shack #33-3007 mics as well as Monster M1000 w/Neutrik connectors. All went bw a Schoeps CMXY-4V mic and Grace Design Lunatec V2. I swapped cables bw sets at shows and also recorded my stereo. Could I hear differences? No. Do I think others can based on this variable alone (single crystal wire vs not)? Yes, but not nearly as many who think they can.

shadowhillway likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

My Kimbers made for poor synergy with my Pass amp. They’re great cables otherwise.

Ilusndweller likes this.
  14. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

15. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

16. Ilusndweller

The research is for nano interconnects (20 nm+/-) but I think some humans have crazy hearing ability(and schveeet systems). Plus who is to say that just bc the research is for nanotechnology that a small % cant hear it?

Im not total bad guy. :unhunh:

Then you get into system synergy (and I see the thread title was changed to reflect this).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I think that there is a pattern here since Nelson Pass designed both of these amps, and I know that he refuses to use a chokes on the outputs.

18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I invested in a pair of Kimber 8PR with their S-BAN connectors 15 years ago and after a long search looking at many other manufacturer's claims and design philosophies, I've decided at least for now to stick with what I have.

Mr. Dean and timind like this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You cheap bass-turd, why didn't you get some KS3035 or KS3038? :laugh:

Enjoy your new purchase. I use KS3038 myself (mercifully short between mono-block and speaker).

I had great success using Straight Wire Crescendo speaker cable with Pass X-600 mono-blocks driving B&W 800-series, Eggleston Works Savoy/Andra and Sony ES SS-M9ED speakers.

https://straightwire.com/PDFs/CRSC3PR.pdf

DaBigBadWolf and Helom like this.
  20. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Congrats on finding synergy Wolf and glad you're enjoying your system so much it often takes a lot of trial and error but sometimes it just clicks right away you're a lucky one.