New Beth Orton album WEATHER ALIVE to be released on 09/23/2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 31, 2022.

1. fried

fried Forum Resident

Haven't heard the 'come down queen' in so long. I'll have to get hold of this. Trailer Park was one of the great 90s albums.

2. dee

dee Senior Member

If one can't make out some of the lyrics then I feel like that's a good sign ;) that she's got her voice and phrasing back with the mysterious and sublime. Looking forward to it. Summer/Fall 2022 a lot of major releases so hope I can take time to listen and purchase this.

Percy Song likes this.
  3. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Currently in the autograph queue - short set, about 6 tracks, started with 'Fractals' and finished with 'Lonely' which she did without the rest of the band. She seemed very nervous (lots of swearing!) but was very, very good.

4. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Can anyone post the DR numbers of the digital download or CD, or tell me how compressed they are? I’m wondering if I should order the vinyl or not. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    dee and Xander2017 like this.
  5. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

:righton: Excellent! My expectation was for more signing and less singing so this sounds promising on all counts. Did everyone who wanted an autograph get one? Was anyone cheeky enough to ask her to re-release Superpinkymandy, I wonder? (That is my intention once I've nabbed the sig.)

hutlock and villiers terrace like this.
  6. villiers terrace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, everyone who wanted a signature (or two ;) ) got one but be aware that you will need to wear a mask to get to meet her. I very nearly came unstuck with that because I had such a nightmare journey to get there that I dashed out of my car, leaving my mask on the passenger seat. Thankfully, someone was able to help me out.

Percy Song, painted8, walrus and 7 others like this.
  7. Percy Song

Nice. You can never have too many Beth Orton sigs... :cool:

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I did get the "wear a mask" message from the store in Oxford.

villiers terrace and hutlock like this.
  8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wish I could attend! Would shamelessly ask her to marry me on the spot. Can’t wait for the new one to arrive.

9. villiers terrace

The songs very much reminded me of Portishead, which is by no means a bad thing. The electric piano had a real 'Roads' vibe about it.

GregorSamsa likes this.
  10. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Answering my own question. I’m listening to the Hi-Res download and feeling it’s too over-compressed for my ears. Not painful but not that pleasant either. I’ve ordered the vinyl.

Xander2017 likes this.
  11. Percy Song

12. villiers terrace

Greenalishi and Percy Song like this.
  13. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Thanks for this. Got tickets to see her in Portland in November. I really glossed over Trailer Park and Central Reservation when they came out but have really gotten into then the past few years. Slowly exploring her other catalog. Did catch her with Mercury Rev in 2018 (or so, pre-Covid) singing on their imagined Bobbie Gentry record. It was brilliant and they closed with I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine. Left me wanting to see her perform her material and now my chance has come.

Greenalishi and frightwigwam like this.
  14. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

It's her strongest album since Daybreaker. I especially like Haunted Satellite, Forever Young, Arms Around a Mystery and Friday Night.

Percy Song, Greenalishi, dee and 2 others like this.
  15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The vibe and overall sound is more akin to the first two albums, with a lot of room for drift and soft psych haze. The playing by all is immaculate, everybody is so attuned to each other. Obviously the piano takes the place of guitar here, but it's very evocative and works perfectly for the mood (contemplative but steely) she's going for, I can hear why she fell in love with it.
    Her singing is wonderful, a bit frayed around the ages (a bit Karen Dalton, a bit Emmylou Harris circa All I Intended To Be) but filled with so much emotion and soul it's easy to forgive the occasional crack, which really only adds to the feel. Not a weak track to be found, although for me Fractals and Unwritten seem to be the immediate standout tracks.
    Probably her best since Central Reservation, and a truly remarkable album.

16. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

A great album for headphones. Folks should look up her recent interview from the World Cafe. I had no idea she has Crohns Disease and she admitted to lots of smoking and “hard living”. I love her stuff. Saw her open for Ryan Adams at the Royal Albert Hall a lifetime ago and she was fabulous.

17. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

I heard the World Cafe performance as well. The condition of her voice begs some indulgence on the listener's part, but the strength of the material and her determination reward it handsomely.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

19. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

The vinyl sounds brilliant: very dynamic and really lets the music breathe. Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling, who’s a very safe pair of hands IME.

domesticmachine and Greenalishi like this.
  20. villiers terrace

I had a ‘shipment delayed' message yesterday regarding the clear vinyl and signed print release, but it should be sent next week. I didn’t realise she was also playing in Camden in 10 days time so I’ve booked a ticket.

Percy Song likes this.
  21. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

Ordered this one the other day thanks to this thread. I'm very intrigued by what I've heard from it. Assuming this one is as good as advertised, what other albums of hers should I check out next? Any in a somewhat similar style? I'm not usually that interested in electronic music with limited exceptions, but I didn't really detect any of that in the samples from this album; it seems very organic. I don't know if she got away from that somewhere along the line or what. Really I am completely ignorant of her musical trajectory.

22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Yeah, I got the same. Official release=30th Sept, presumably hoping for a good chart entry.

Have to say, never seen as much "OMG Wow this album is great" from otherwise uncommitted listeners.

23. glamorbowie1

glamorbowie1 Forum Resident

Was it standard black EU vinyl?

24. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I think Trailer Park, Central Reservation, and Sugaring Season are her best albums. Sugaring Season has the most "organic" folk sound. The first two were dubbed "folktronica" by the music press in the '90s, because there is some electronic coloring and she had sung for William Orbit and The Chemical Brothers, but it's not really electronic music. It's just her own kind of folk-rock, and the singing and songs are sublime. Trailer Park particularly is one of my most favorite albums of the time, or all time.

25. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

Yeah, I kept reading that term folktronica in relation to her and it put me off slightly. I'll wait to digest the new album and then if it suits, work my way back to those ones as well. Thanks!

frightwigwam likes this.