Worst Brand or Model Names?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Aug 8, 2022.

1. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Bob Weir might like these but they bring up thoughts of aroma to me.
    [​IMG]

American-made studio monitors by Barefoot Sound are mainstays in professional recording studios all over the world for a number of reasons. Aside from their ongoing pursuit of excellence, Barefoot Sound goes beyond conventional manufacturing approaches by embedding technology that responds to common pitfalls in loudspeaker design

2. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

Luxury & Precision - sounds a bit pretentious.
    But the devices are good.

3. major-tom

major-tom Well-Known Member

For me it’s….

Monarchy Audio
    Teenage Engineering
    Blue Jeans Cable
    Red Wine Audio.

I’m sure I’ll think of others that just don’t sound right (IMO of course). Their products are probably perfectly good however.

BruceS likes this.
  4. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

You're thinking of the Roksan Xerxes. The PT decks had adjustable suspension.

5. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

Fluance Speakers is another unfortunate name for a brand in my opinion. Whenever I see that name written I can't help but read Flatulence Speakers. I'm not a fan of Gene Tracey's Crepitation Contest.

Cheers,
    Robert

McLover and Limopard like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The English company Leak is always the first one that comes to my mind.

And then, I thought of the good ol' Foobar 2000 (which always makes me think, "Hmm, maybe I just configured it wrong...?" :confused: ).

7. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

I know it bye another name "Not Always Dependable" :D

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

foo, bar, and baz are common generic variable names used by programmers when writing example code. Similar to using names like i, j, k as variable names. foobar is often used as a generic function name in example code. Similar to using f as a generic function name.

To a programmer the name Foobar2000 indicates that the developer couldn't think of a good name and just used the name Foobar as a placeholder and started development in 2000. And the name stuck.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But still, if I configured it wrong, it is ..."- - beyond all recognition"....;)

McLover likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

Foobar2000 is also that. I don't know how to properly configure and customize Foobar2000. The program interface and method of operation is truly fubar.

vwestlife, jonwoody and Dillydipper like this.
  11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

What, you find that you can take a Leak or leave one?

doctor fuse, Dillydipper and jonwoody like this.
  12. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

They are especially good in the lower registers and in reproducing brass instruments.

WildPhydeaux likes this.
  13. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

Tend towards a dry sonorus character, reverberant and hollow yet surprisingly textured and tuneful. A poor and unfortunate choice when paired with Schiit amplification, however.

I really miss grade school.

Cheers,
    Robert

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Limopard likes this.
  14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

The relatives of Blue Jeans:
    Sugar Cube
    Cocktail Audio

15. drumhead

drumhead Well-Known Member

Everybody's railing on Schiit but I love getting a piece of schiit in the mail!

MAP and Oddiofyl like this.
  16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

REK-O-KUT turntables

Magnasonic
    They were a Canadian distributor (eventually bought out by one of the brands they distributed, SANYO) that created their own low end brand.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  17. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident

For all you Aussies and Kiwi's: Dick Smith Electronics (think Radio shack for the southern hemisphere), a long time retail supply store for all kinds of electronic needs esp. audio cables and adaptors etc. plus their own in-house branded crappy speakers and audio gear.

The company logo (plastered all over all their stuff, retail stores and annual catalogue etc.) has a line drawing of Dick's face in between the first and last name of the founder, hence when viewing the company name on a retail store one literally reads from left to right ... "Dick Head Smith Electronics" :D:D:D

[​IMG]

Ham Sandwich, HiFi Guy and SPF2001 like this.
  18. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Makes it less dry, though.

WildPhydeaux likes this.
  19. Ham Sandwich

20. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

There was a politician in NH back in the 90s by the name of Dick Swett. Dick Swett

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Lacks 500 moving parts, however. A true Perpetuum-Ebner turntable worthy of the name has hundreds of moving parts, they love piling on the mechanical complexity.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Who used to be referred to corporately as Nippon Gakki Co, Ltd.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Rek-O-Kut makes perfect sense. As what did that company first manufacture? It manufactured disc recording lathes, cutting heads, and recording amplifiers. Rek-O-Kut as in cutting records. And their sideline was selling their excellent turntables and Micropoise tonearms to home users, institutions, and broadcast stations. The latter turntable and tonearm business became their main business.

vwestlife likes this.
  24. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

Goldstar, a South Korean company who made crappy appliances and electronic equipment founded in 1958. Everything they made was cringe worth until 1995 when they became LG Electronics.

BruceS likes this.
  25. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

It isn't that hard to do. I used Foobar to create playlists from multiple drives and directories on a laptop for a college radio show which I did for over 20 years. I loved it.