Thinking about......Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kieran White, Sep 22, 2022.

1. DarylB

DarylB Forum Resident

I saw him on his Songs Of The Key Of Life tour.I know it was eight or seven years ago but I'm still waiting for the live Blu Ray from the tour!

agundy and mdent like this.
  2. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Ray Charles plays the part of a blind bus driver in a Leslie Nielsen comedy spy caper in the '80s. Best part of the movie!

7solqs4iago likes this.
  3. nowyouknow

nowyouknow Music addict

Thanks, that's exactly what i was reaching for.

George P likes this.
  4. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks. I asked because Motown CDs got a bad reputation round here. Plus I had Talking Book on CD for a while and when I got a used vinyl copy I realized how glassy the CD sounded.

5. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Listening to Talking Book and Innervisions, I'm struck by how oddly the tracks are sequenced - somehow it works on both. But opening with "You Are the Sunshine of my Life" on TB... It's also such a short song - it seems to lack a verse or a bridge, it's almost throwaway - then comes "Maybe Your Baby" which goes on a bit too long and stretches the patience somewhat with that funny little evil voice he uses. I guess the only explanation is ... "genius".

Michael Macrone likes this.
  6. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Really, you had to bring HIM into the conversation? REALLY?

7solqs4iago likes this.
  7. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Nice thread. His remarkable 70's run is one for the ages.

ARK, Michael Macrone and dwilpower like this.
  8. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I read somewhere that the first three of those albums were constructed from material that was all recorded around the same time period- he was so prolific at that point in his career- Steve and Motown arranged the "best" into 3 albums which were released in quick succession. It always amazes me that int he 60s and 70s artists would often release several albums in the same calendar year

9. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Why has Stevie not mined this period for deluxe sets?

10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

The original Tamla with separate cases must have been a short lived release from 1986. My Motown fat box was given to me by a friend who said she bought it new in 1988. About 10 years ago I bought (and sold quick) the slimline Tamla remastered set with the painted cd to look like the original LP label. I didn't care for the sound of it at all.

11. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

That sounds consistent with my experiences . I have just bought a used fat box version. Quite cheap. It says AAD on the back so my hopes are high.

12. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

Never saw Stevie, but I just missed him. Back in 2011, he sat in with the band playing that night at d.b.a. on Frenchmen Street in New Orleans. And I had stuck my head in a little bit earlier before he arrived, but even though the sousaphone player is a friend I didn't hang around because it was just another night . . . until it wasn't!

dwilpower and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  13. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

He released 1 album per year from 72-74, taking a break in 73 after his car accident. He never stopped recording and often recorded at all hours of the night.

14. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Bill Cosby was EVERYWHERE in pop culture, in all forms of media for a LONG time...

i didn't really like his work, so I guess I'm not feeling immense pressure to denounce it all?

15. 7solqs4iago

i think he was the first to work with the moog synthesizer for marketable material, at least i recall the inventors saying this in their documentary...

dwilpower likes this.
  16. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Every time it's posted I watch it. And every time I watch it I smile when they show the little dude losing his mind. Brutally funky. Those kids were lucky.

ARK and Maurice like this.
  17. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Here in the UK Cosby didn't really feature much although his 80s Cosby Show was a hit on the UK minority Channel 4, gaining a cult following. I never found Cosby funny in anything I saw him in and was puzzled by his popularity.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  18. 7solqs4iago

here it was a top prime time spy series, movies, commercials, comedy albums and talk show appearances and hostings, Saturday morning cartoons, top 40 song

that was just to the mid 1970s....

19. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I Spy wasn't shown in the UK

20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Brilliant artist, the six album run of Where I'm Coming From to Songs In The Key Of Life is a major musical achievement that few others can approach.

21. 7solqs4iago

it's nice that Stevie's music got over to your side of the pond :D

22. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Of course it is my opinion. Why would I post your opinion?

This makes no sense to me.

23. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I take it you are referring to Talking Book, Innervisions and Fulfillingness' First Finale? They sound like a trilogy to me. I sometimes wish the album art for Talking Book was consistent with that of the other two.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  24. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Note that it's called 'Superstition'.
    Yes, I love it so much!

Probably my top-3 Stevie tracks are:
    -- 'Golden Lady'
    -- 'Knocks Me Off My Feet'
    -- 'Master Blaster (Jammin')'

I do think 'Ebony & Ivory' and 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' (not forgetting 'That's What Friends Are For') did Stevie's legacy and image some damage. It wouldn't have mattered much if he'd been more prolific in the 80s/90s or he'd had other huge hits.

Alien Reg and Nightfly68 like this.
  25. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

I saw him appear on the Dinah Shore talk show dressed in head band, tennis shorts and sweater, racquet in hand.