UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a number of bronzing PDO discs but none have play problems so far. Fingers crossed mine won't get any worse.
    Out of interest do you know how long after their manufacture (I think it was mainly a problem with discs made between 1990-1992) the bronzing started showing up?

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've just listened to it: I have to say, it flows beautifully. I had to take a break from Hot Space halfway through, but there was no question of me doing that with Jazz. Jealousy (new to me) is a great tune and performance. The only things I'm not too keen on are the two hit singles, and even they have their irresistible moments.

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The second half of Hot Space isn't as full on electro-funk disco or whatever it's supposed to be! Don't worry, there isn't another Body Language lurking on side two.

4. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Give me-e-e-e your bod-ayyy!

I actually quite like Hot Space apart from that. Both Jazz and Hot Space have some deeper cuts that are worthwhile*, especially if the singles are a little too familiar. I've always had a soft spot for Las Palabras de Amor from Hot Space, which was actually a single, but not a particularly well-remembered one, perhaps because it was relegated to the mishmash that was "Greatest" Hits III.

*assuming you like Queen, of course.

5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It finishes with Under Pressure, so all is well. :)

Man at C&A and Eric_Generic like this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I don't think I'd heard it since it was on the charts in spring 1982. As totally forgotten as Seven Tears by the Goombay Dance Band! :)

As with Jethro Tull's A, people seem to have listened to Hot Space once, hated it and that has formed their permanent opinion. Music, and listeners, have moved on since 1982 and it's time to listen to the things we once (thought we) didn't like.

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Bronzing was first reported in 1994, and the feeling is that the discs affected should have bronzed by now. Some people claim sulphur in the booklets reacting with silver used in the CD was the cause of the problem, so you could try removing the booklets. I had a couple of affected discs. One was a Roxy Music CD that appeared appeared yellow, but wouldn't rip on the final track. The other was a Matallica CD that was noisy and failing to play on its final two tracks. It was obviously bronzed.

8. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Maybe records, but I've been selling CDs on eBay for years, some of which aren't near-mint. With CDs, there's effectively no difference between a near-mint CD and a "VG+" CD, they all play the same, and sell the same…

MC Rag likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love Hot Space including Body Language. I love the over the top ridiculousness of it. Freddie's singing is great on that album too.

IanD41, LivingForever, Sytze and 3 others like this.
  10. MC Rag

I agree with you for lower value cds. But i have a number of regular buyers of high value cds who will definitely pay a premium for scratch free cds. Some who will not even consider buying if there is even the smallest blemish.

11. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

I find it highly difficult to grade CDs. It's not clear to me what a scratch would be, I put them under a halogen bulb and note even one or two spots. I don't think I've sold a CD with more than a tiny scratch for some time. So there's a good chance that most of these "VG+" CDs which I'm referring to are actually like-new.

rikki nadir and MC Rag like this.
  12. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

My favourite CD grading quirk is when silver-to-the-core CDs (e.g. WG Polygrams) are graded only VG due to scratching around the spindle, which has absolutely nothing to do with playback. My WG RCA disc of Low by Bowie was like that, the actual playing surface is pristine.

13. Nice score in Oxfam Hertford this morning:-

[​IMG]

This 1990 2CD fatboy is in perfect - as new - minty mint condition - it was just £2.99.

I already have the 2012 2CD remaster in my Zappa collection. But I knew this had to worth more than £2.99 in this superb condition.

The Oxfam sales assistant pulled a face like they had just swallowed a raw lemon (when they looked at the somewhat un-PC black face sleeve image)...

...Consequently I elected to not mention my favourite track "Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt" :winkgrin:

Once home I fired up Discogs and was pleased to see that Near Mint examples are routinely priced at around £15.

14. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Ah true, of course. Still bizarre.

MC Rag likes this.
  15. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Couple of 50p-ers this afternoon. Bottom one is by Bonobo.

[​IMG]

16. Did he film them when they played Todmorden last year?

17. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

'Watermelon In Easter Hay' A stunningly beautiful guitar instrumental.

Putrifiers II and Theadmans like this.
  18. Yes that is my real favourite from the album.

Fawltykog likes this.
  19. MC Rag

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

At his best Jeffrey Lewis is great, a very witty songwriter. I've seen him live a few times.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm more likely to accept blemishes on a rare disc but I suppose they have to be cheaper. I have a deep rooted dislike for dented booklets when they get caught in the jewel case though!

22. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Me too. In fact I'm more forgiving of a few marks on the disc (as long as it plays of course) than damage to the booklet!

I buy from eBay, and often the CD may be classed as Very Good, but the seller doesn't say what it is about it that makes it a Very Good, and the photos don't always show dents in the booklet, even if (as I find out after I've bought it) they are there!

Having said that, I've bought from sellers who have classed everything as VG, when in fact everything I ordered from them was in perfect condition, and others who mentioned some defects but conveniently forgot to mention others. I once bought a CD classed as Like New which had dents in the booklet - when I complained the seller said that the disc was Like New to which I argued that the booklet is part of the product too!

The best sellers give separate ratings for the CD, the booklet and the case under "about this item", and give a full list of any defects in the description (and close up photos), but unfortunately these sellers seem to be few and far between.

23. ranking chamois

ranking chamois Forum Resident

Got this for 99p this morning. And this time I didn't bother padding it out with another three fillers

[​IMG]

The vast majority of the tracks I didn't want to listen to in the 80s and I don't want to listen to them now, but there's Dexy's, The Jam, Visage, Bad Manners, The Teardrop Explodes, all of which can go on my iPod

Not CD, but I also got this Hallmark TOTP album

[​IMG]

I've a few of these, each with a couple of so-bad-they're-good tracks. In this case it'll be amusing to hear what they did to Are Friends Electric, Silly Games, C'mon Everybody and Death Disco (! - how did that one get on there?)

24. CD booklet damage is a huge no no to me!

Ideally dimple damage and indents from the semi-circular retainers...

...should result in the previous owners being strangled at birth.