Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

You know what would be a baller move? Primary Wave releasing a new compilation called Olivia’s Greatest Hits Vol. 3. Collect all the critical singles from 1983 on, and put the 1978-1982 missing hits on the GHV2 Deluxe.

John Adam, RSteven, jeremylr and 3 others like this.
  2. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

Will the Duets album be one of new or old material?

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

A mixture of old and previously unreleased tracks, by the sound of it.

Rosewater, KJTC and RSteven like this.
  4. NoYesMaybe

I sure hope it’s mostly old songs… Duets albums are like Christmas albums… It’s what you do when the muses are gone…

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Regarding the upcoming Greatest Hits Japan Deluxe Edition, I went back to see how Japan originally issued their GH on both LP and CD.
    (Not the GH Vol 2 as that is the same track order)

We know that sometimes a different track order (especially from what we are so use to) can make the whole experience of listening quite different.
    I’m surprised that Japan didn’t stay with the same track order as how they originally issued their GH.

Here is the track order of how Japan issued their GH LP and CD (I wasn’t aware they issued their CD on a black triangle for the GH)

GH Japan LP 1977 EMI EMS-80960
    GH Japan CD 1984 EMI-CP35-3115 (Black Triangle CD)
    1. Take Me Home Country Roads
    2. If Not For You
    3. Changes
    4. Let Me Be There
    5. If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
    6. I Honesty Love You
    7. Have You Never Been Mellow
    8. Jolene
    9. Please Mr Please
    10. Something Better To Do
    11. Let It Shine
    12. Come On Over
    13. Don't Stop Believin'
    14. Sam

GH (Japan Deluxe CD Edition) 2022
    Disc 1
    1. If Not For You
    2. Banks Of The Ohio
    3. Love Song
    4. Take Me Home Country Roads
    5. Changes
    6. Let Me Be There
    7. If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
    8. I Honesty Love You
    9. Have You Never Been Mellow
    10. Please Mr Please
    11. The Air That I Breathe
    12. Something Better To Do
    13. Let It Shine
    14. Every Face Tells A Story
    15. Jolene
    16. Come On Over
    17. Don't Stop Believin'
    18. Sam
    19. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
    20. Making A Good Thing Better

6. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Does anyone have the Japan GH black triangle CD? I wonder how it sounds.

I have the Japan GH vol 2 black triangle CD and have always been very impressed with the mastering.

7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I kinda wish PW had stayed with releasing the GH Deluxe the way it was originally issued. I wish disc 1 could be exactly how it was issued in the US and disc 2 could be whatever additional songs they want to add. Just like how Physical and INFY deluxe were reissued.

Especially when it comes to all these remasters. I want to pop in Cd 1 and it be exactly how they originally issued it…same songs…same track order.

Rosewater and KJTC like this.
  8. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Or at least keep it all chronological. I’m baffled by the incorrect placements of “Changes” and “Every Face Tells a Story,” and “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” makes more sense as a closing track than “Making a Good Thing Better.” It was the last thing released as a single anyway.

Rosewater and leicbri like this.
  9. VietAnh1111

VietAnh1111 is married to Stevie Nicks

I just realized that every CD albums of Olivia always have best quality are from Japan.
    I think that buy Olivia’s CD albums Japan released is a must-be.

10. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

The INFY Deluxe has good me re-listening to some early Olivia. I always loved this one - a clip was shown on the Portrait of a Legend show I caught back in 1983 just as my fandom was blossoming. It was years later that I finally heard the whole thing on 48 Original Tracks...

skisdlimit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

‘Changes’ isn’t too odd considering ‘Take Me Home Country Roads’ was released as a single in ‘72, so technically they’re both from the same year. To me closing with ‘Making A Good Thing Better’ leads into the pop years of ‘Volume 2’ a little better too.

But yes, ‘Every Face Tells A Story’ is bizarrely situated!

x

KJTC and leicbri like this.
  12. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

I grew up on the track sequence of the 8 track (!) of Greatest Hits so it was weird for me to finally get the LP years later and hear the songs in chronological order! :laugh: To be honest, I’ve always preferred the “out of order” sequencing of the 8 track since the tracks on Volume 2 ended up not being in chronological order.

I’m glad to see PW combining the track listings of the US, UK and Australian versions of the 1977 album into one “Deluxe Edition.” It gives a full and rich overview of her “Pre-Grease” period. It also makes me curious as to what will be included on Volume 2. I’m assuming we’ll get the 14 tracks from the Aussie Volume 3 and assuming Vol 2 will also have 20 tracks that leaves room for 6 more tracks. My guesses are
    1. Summer Nights
    2. Twist of Fate
    3. Livin in Desperate Times
    4. Soul Kiss
    5. Dancin’ ‘Round and ‘Round (?)
    6. The Rumour (?)

I’m happy to see two separate volumes of GH being released with their original artwork. Those cover photos are classics and good representations of the material contained on them.

KJTC likes this.
  13. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I also just finished adding my own version of Target’s upcoming Greatest Hits 1971-1982 to my digital library. I alternated songs between Vols 1 and 2 using the 8-track sequencing for Vol. 1 and the original song sequence of Vol. 2 (adding “Deeper Than The Night” because even as a six year old it bugged me that it wasn’t on there!)

I thought it turned out pretty good and was an enjoyable listening experience with a balance of the country ballads and pop anthems.

Here’s the full track list if anybody else wants to make their own!
    1. If Not For You
    2. Heart Attack
    3. Something Better To Do
    4. Magic
    5. Come On Over
    6. Physical
    7. Let Me Be There
    8. Hopelessly Devoted To You
    9. If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
    10. Deeper Than The Night
    11. Have You Never Been Mellow
    12. Make A Move On Me
    13. Changes
    14. A Little More Love
    15. I Honestly Love You
    16. You’re The One That I Want
    17. Don’t Stop Believin’
    18. Tied Up
    19. Please Mr. Please
    20. Suddenly
    21. Let It Shine
    22. Xanadu
    23. Sam

KJTC and Rosewater like this.
  14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I got my INFY deluxe set today. I am very pleasantly pleased. Primary Wave has done a wonderful job with the packaging. Lots of great photos and the booklet is very nice with lots of pages. The remaster of the original album also sounds pretty good for a modern remaster. And a 50-min bonus disc is something I thought I would never see accompanying Olivia’s debut album. Yes, some of the songs on disc two in an incorrect order is a bummer, but overall I think Primary Wave really did a great job with this set. I am so looking forward to the rest of her albums in the 70’s given a deluxe treatment!

15. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Wow this threat is really going fast can;t hardly keep up with these reactions. :)

But yesterday i was finally been able to pick up my vinyl copy of "INFY", it looks very good so far and I can't wait to hear the record, but my record player doesn't work anymore so i need to buy a new recordplayer later this year because those things are so expensive. :rolleyes:

Now i need to wait until my cd copy arrives, i hope it won't take too long anymore. :)

I wonder wich album they gonne release next, will it be "Olivia" 1972 or will they go for another album release?. :shh:

I'm still not sure if i want to buy the new upcoming "Greatest Hits" album because the Japan version is not from Primary Waves records? it said Virgin Records that's strange, i rather want to see a new release from one of her older albums with some unreleased songs on it. :)

NoYesMaybe, KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

I discovered the song on the Crystal Lady LP in 1977. It was my favourite of the Pye B-sides included on the comp.

KJTC, leicbri and Rosewater like this.
  17. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I had forgotten it was on Crystal Lady - that must have been where I first heard the full version, too. It could easily have been an A-side, I think.

KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I sort of get why Primary Wave are focusing on releasing Deluxe Editions of these Greatest Hits in order to create currently-available versions of these classic albums that rationalise all the tracks that originally appeared on the various international editions.

However, that does mean that bona fide hits like What Is Life (and, until they do a comprehensive GHV2 Deluxe) Summer Nights are left on the cutting room floor.

There is a definite need for a COMPREHENSIVE Olivia Newton-John hits collection that captures all of her charted hits across all territories, along with significant 'niche' hit releases from the latter part of her career (like Instrument of Peace, which got to #30 on the AC charts).

John Adam, KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I think they should've made room for "What is Life" and "Long Live Love" on the GH Deluxe. Here's what I would do from here on out if I was PW:

Olivia's Greatest Hits Vol. 2 Deluxe
    1. Summer Nights
    2. Hopelessly Devoted to You
    3. You're the One That I Want
    4. A Little More Love
    5. Deeper Than the Night
    6. Totally Hot (Single Mix)
    7. Dancin' 'Round and 'Round
    8. The Key
    9. I Can't Help it
    10. Rest Your Love On Me
    11. Magic
    12. Suddenly
    13. Suspended in Time
    14. Xanadu
    15. Physical
    16. Make a Move On Me
    17. Landslide (edit)
    18. The Promise
    19. Heart Attack
    20. Tied Up (edit)
    Olivia's Greatest Hits Vol. 3
    1. What is Life
    2. Long Live Love
    3. Twist of Fate
    4. Take a Chance
    5. Livin' in Desperate Times (Single Mix)
    6. Soul Kiss (edit)
    7. Toughen Up
    8. The Best of Me
    9. The Rumour (Single Mix)
    10. Can't We Talk it Over in Bed
    11. Reach Out For Me (edit)
    12. Grease Megamix
    13. Deeper Than a River
    14. Not Gonna Be the One
    15. I Need Love
    16. No Matter What You Do
    17. Don't Cut Me Down
    18. Trust Yourself
    19. Falling (with Raybon Bros.)
    20. I Honestly Love You (with Babyface)
    Then release a triple CD set of all three hits collections: Olivia's Greatest Hits (20th Century).

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Whenever I see a duets album I always wonder why no one’s ever thought of adding a half karaoke track that allows a listener/fan to do their own duet with a performer. Now I can’t sing and wouldn’t attempt to but many folks do like to, especially after a beer or two.

BeSteVenn and NoYesMaybe like this.
  21. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I’m very much in brainstorming mode today for some reason! If the Duets collection is as expansive and thorough as we are hoping for, what else could be used to collect some stray song and knock out some reissues at the same time?

Three ideas come to mind for me:
    1. The Complete Christmas Collection (Everything from her numerous Christmas albums, plus stray tracks like her guest appearances and television appearances)
    2. The Silver Screen Collection (everything from her film soundtracks and soundtrack appearances, including things like the tracks from her TV movies and soundtracks from movies she didn’t appear in, like “Richard’s Window”)
    3. The Live Collection (Love Performance, Ogden 82, Live Journey, and Sydney DVD)

RSteven, leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. daydream

daydream Forum Resident

I don't think the duets album will be released this year (considering it's already October and there's still no announcement), but I hope it comes out in 2023. I'm looking forward to it (considering there will be several Olivia duets). I hope the Kenny Rogers unreleased duet makes its way there. I'm also really looking forward to the duet Olivia did with Dolly!

RSteven, leicbri, KJTC and 1 other person like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Provisional schedules for BBC Two on Saturday 15th October showing an Olivia Newton-John night and an episode of Top Of The Pops:

10:15pm - Olivia Newton John At The BBC
    11:15pm - Xandau
    12:50am - Only Olivia
    1am - Top Of The Pops

The TOTP might be 04/01/79 with her performance of A Little More Love.

Or maybe the one from September 1980 where she didn’t perform but co-hosted the show with Simon Bates.

The Only Olivia segment is odd. It appears to run for 10 minutes whereas the original show lasted for 50! Hope that’s a misprint.:)

Nice to see Xanadu get a rare TV screening.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    leicbri, KJTC and johnnyyen like this.
  24. NoYesMaybe

Bobby said that someone on facebook said the physical future releases will follow her USA discography… Therefore Let Me Be There should be the next title if Primary Wave goes chronologically (nevermind the greatest hits)…

Rosewater, RSteven and KJTC like this.
  25. NoYesMaybe

I can’t sing to save my life yet I don’t need a beer nor a karaoke track to belt like a hyena and to make my neighbors wishing they were deaf… :uhhuh:

BeSteVenn, RSteven and KJTC like this.